English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 01 September 2006, 18:51   #1
wakeupbomb
Amiga Collector

Angry Turbo 1230 problem

I have an Turbo 1230 accelorator in my A1200. It seems to be working fine, the Amiga boots up OK with it connected. It has two ram slots, one in the trap door and the other under the keyboard. Any RAM I put in the slots works fine, it shows up in Workbench. I have a compact flash adaptor installed to copy files across to my Amiga from my PC. When I try to copy a file across from the CF to the Amiga hard drive nothing happens. The Amiga sort of freezes...I can still move the mouse but it's stuck on the timer and I can't click on anything. This happens almost every time. So I take out all the ram and try to copy the file again and it works fine everytime. So i'm assuming I have a problem with my accelerator board? I have over 30 different RAM chips and none of them allow me to copy files from the CF with any consistancy. Is there anything I can do here? I have tried blowing into the connectors on the board to no avail. I'd hate to think my card is broken , can't really afford to replace it.

Any help would be REALLY appreciated
Old 01 September 2006, 19:33   #2
keropi

is this card compatible with the pcmcia slot if more than 8MB fastram is installed???
what exact model/make is this 1230 u have???
Old 01 September 2006, 19:49   #3
wakeupbomb
Amiga Collector

I'm not sure what it is compatible with to be honest? This is the Amiga from my childhood and can't really remember the technical details

The model is turbo 1230-MK2.
Assuming that is the model number?

Thanks for your help

I'll try and hunt down a smaller ram chip
Old 01 September 2006, 20:03   #4
keropi

if it is that, http://amiga-hardware.com/showhardware.cgi?HARDID=108 then it should work just fine with the pcmcia so the prob is not there... max ram 32MB ...
did u try the cardpatch/cardreset progs from aminet?
Old 01 September 2006, 20:15   #5
wakeupbomb
Amiga Collector

Yep, that's the one
CardPatch and CardReset are installed and in my startup-sequence. Makes no difference though.
Strangely though I can copy direct from the hard-drive to RAM, so maybe the RAM isn't at fault? Although when I click on the RAM icon it says it's 100% full, even when it isn't...but it may always do that? Can't remmeber.

Have tried it with a 36MB and a 16MB SIMM

Maybe the cardreset/patch patch ain't working properly? Hmmn
Old 01 September 2006, 20:18   #6
lopos2000
Zone Friend

Ram: is always 100% full.
Old 01 September 2006, 20:19   #7
wakeupbomb
Amiga Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopos2000
Ram: is always 100% full.
Good good, i'm dissapointed at how much i've forgotten
Old 01 September 2006, 20:29   #8
wakeupbomb
Amiga Collector

Hmmn, I was looking at the CF on the PC and there was a hidden folder which had folders within with weird names...like Japanese writing. I deleted it and now I can copy the files onto the Amiga
erm.
Strange

Sorry for wasting your time!

Not sure how that would stop the files copying? I wasn't trying to copy the weird file.

Thanks for your help!!

(probably stop working again in a min)
Old 02 September 2006, 00:06   #9
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

heys guys, i always thought that the blizzards Mk 1 to 3 had the *issue with the PCMCIA 4MB memory addressing space/hole ? and it wasnt until version 4 that DCE/P5 sorted it out....

hmmm i hope it was... it was the primary reason why i bought an apollo060.... (many moons ago)

*issue: the memory map spaned the first 4 MB reserved for the PCMCIA addressing space..
Old 02 September 2006, 11:56   #10
wakeupbomb
Amiga Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0
heys guys, i always thought that the blizzards Mk 1 to 3 had the *issue with the PCMCIA 4MB memory addressing space/hole ? and it wasnt until version 4 that DCE/P5 sorted it out....

hmmm i hope it was... it was the primary reason why i bought an apollo060.... (many moons ago)

*issue: the memory map spaned the first 4 MB reserved for the PCMCIA addressing space..
Sorry what does this mean? Would it explain why my CF card adaptor doesn't work very well? (It appears all those issues I have of CU Amiga and Amiga Format haven't taught me very much.

I can only seem to get my 030 stable with 8megs of fast ram. Anymore and it starts crashing, very annoying.
Old 02 September 2006, 14:45   #11
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

okay, from memory,so please i do stand to be VERY corrected.

the Blizzard adapter cards versions 1 to 3 start to map their memory within the first 4mb that is reserved for the pcmcia to address adapters etc.

this can and often does lead to instability when any pcmcia adpater is used in conjunction with the accelerator adapter.

this is known to effect Blizzard versions 1,2 and 3 (the later i remember reading had a patch available that gave it better stability see aminet) the mark 4 versions of the blizzards have completely changed the way they address memory and are PCMCIA friendly.

I know that both Jope and Alexh would know more than I however I believe that if you remove the pcmcia adapter your accelerator should be able string up the full ammount of upto 64/128MB...

other than that you could use the blizzard adapter without memory (kinda defeats the object) or without the PCMCIA adapter (again, defeating the object)

it was in the days of yawn and many moons and mountains past that i choose and apollo adapter over what seemed a technically superior blizzard due to their PCMCIA unfriendlyness.

some reads
http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showha...cgi?HARDID=149
here aswell
http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/blizzard1230mk2

Last edited by Zetr0; 02 September 2006 at 14:59.