English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 20 January 2018, 07:19   #1
source
Zone Friend

I am going to drive you guys crazy with WHDLoad Issues

I am just starting to set up a WinUAE system. I have already asked about why the bottom part of UGH was cut off the screen and the answer was quick and easy. Thanks. I have just tried running Ultima 5 from the WHDownLoad archive. The graphics are corrupt. The blue borders are shown correctly the text appears correctly but the graphics for the play screen are all corrupted. I would imagine it is not a corrupt install, instead an issue with some settings in WinUAE. I just can't seem to figure it out.
thanks for any help.
Old 20 January 2018, 07:51   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Post your WinUAE version & settings. Kickstart version, workbench version, whdload version and Ultima 5 whdload slave version and maybe some can recreate the issue.
Old 20 January 2018, 07:55   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The notes in whdload say the slave can only be unlha in WinUAE not Windows because some filenames are not Windows compatible
Old 20 January 2018, 10:57   #4
Dunny

Some things I found whilst setting up a WHDLoad system -

1. As alexh says, don't unpack them in Windows, always do it inside the emulated Amiga. For 99% of the WHDLoad games you'll be fine, but there's about ten that have incompatible filenames (and in one case Windows refuses to even delete the files after you've copied them in).

2. Disable JIT. You can crank up the CPU speed to max, but a vast amount of WHDLoad games will do all kinds of weird stuff if JIT is on. There's a setting you can change either in the games' icons or the WHDLoad prefs file - before running, use UAECtrl to turn it off, and then back on again when the game has finished.