English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 January 2012, 17:20   #41
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
YOu know that game is just OK, but what I'd really love to see is Giana's official sequel, the one released for Nintendo DS and iPhone. Now ThAT is a sweet game.
A bit easy though, isn't it?
Old 20 January 2012, 17:30   #42
Amiga1992

I thought it was OK, I still; haven't managed to unlock Classic mode, so it's lasted me a long time. Finishing it with all teh achievements surely adds replay value and difficulty!
Old 21 January 2012, 13:40   #43
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
I thought it was OK, I still; haven't managed to unlock Classic mode, so it's lasted me a long time. Finishing it with all teh achievements surely adds replay value and difficulty!
I can't fault that reasoning, I'm going to give it another try then with an open mind. Its just a bit hard to give these games a chance when you have the vindictive New Super Mario Brothers to compare it too
Old 22 January 2012, 10:18   #44
Radertified

What about Super Bob Dylan? It's a fairly good Super Mario Bros clone, and is free.
Old 22 January 2012, 15:51   #45
Amiga1992

Never heard of it. Screens/videos/etc?
Old 22 January 2012, 16:08   #46
s2325
Zone Friend

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 22 January 2012, 16:27   #47
Amiga1992

Hey that's not bad, looks a bit crude and the level design problems mentioned are true, but it seems worth a check. Thanks!
Old 22 January 2012, 17:06   #48
gibs
Banned

Quote:
YOu know that game is just OK, but what I'd really love to see is Giana's official sequel, the one released for Nintendo DS and iPhone. Now ThAT is a sweet game.
So am I.
People used to prefer the original, but I like both (oldschool version and new version).

Congrats to the musician which did really great remixes for this game.
Old 24 January 2012, 14:14   #49
mikele

why even bother? For 10 EURO or less you could buy NES clone with SMB
Old 24 January 2012, 14:30   #50
fishyfish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikele View Post
why even bother? For 10 EURO or less you could buy NES clone with SMB
Or a person could run it emulated on thier Amiga or PC. Not really the point though as the thousands of fan remakes demonstrate.
Old 19 April 2012, 03:53   #51
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

For a Super Mario Classic experience on the Amiga (and I really wish we had a graphics editor for this), get Super Bob Dylan from Aminet.

For the note, I LOVE Giana Sisters, Giana's Return, and the one on the DS! Freaking wonderful Mario Spin Offs!!!!
Old 04 May 2012, 12:43   #52
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Someone made Super Mario Bros clone for Amiga http://www.drpetter.se/files/game_projects_info.txt but I don't know how can I access these files.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Pettersson

Hi. No idea if this will work for you, but it's worth trying I suppose. You'll need AmosPro on the emulator/computer since these games are not compiled into stand-alone executables.

amosgames.zip contains three selected games that I know are reasonably playable. You could put these files onto an emulated hard drive.
amosdisks.zip is just a collection of disk images I grabbed from my floppies long ago. I know many of them only contain junk, but there should be a couple of games too. Hopefully another platformer called adventure-something-something...? Along with Gucko in the other zip, that's the only two "proper" platformers I've made, with lots of levels and reasonably proper ending. They're both quite hard.

The disk zip also contains the actual AmosPro application. amossys.adf is the one you need to boot with in order to load the editor, I believe. It might ask you to insert other disks depending on what resoures the games use. So you could perhaps get away without emulating a hard drive, if you settle with the floppy games.
Files unchecked in the zone.

Last edited by seuden; 04 May 2012 at 12:49.
Old 04 May 2012, 17:35   #53
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
Files unchecked in the zone.
Thanks Teddys is quite fun
Old 13 May 2012, 03:36   #54
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

Smile

The original Super Mario Bros. was converted to the Mega Drive some time ago.

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/ori...megadrive.html

He used a tool to convert the 6502 ASM to 68K ASM I'm pretty sure that would give anyone a big head start on an Amiga version.
Old 13 May 2012, 23:53   #55
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

The difficulty with that is, of course, with the NES and MD both being tile-based systems, the game logic is almost inherently designed for tile-based logic. The MD port already converts the original NES tile graphics data into MD on-the-fly (well, when the ROM first runs), so I would guess any Amiga port would need to do the same except into a format friendly for blitting and/or Amiga sprite usage (luckily I don't think any individual sprites save for Bowser are larger than 16px wide).

If I was a good Amiga coder, I'd do it, but I'm not so I can't :P
Old 14 May 2012, 06:04   #56
DeafDaz
Deafdaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radertified View Post
What about Super Bob Dylan? It's a fairly good Super Mario Bros clone, and is free.
According to the Youtube Notice at the bottom of the Video An ADf ver sion does not exist. Guy hope that is not true i have searched, no luck, any chance someone might have the game and pls Zone it?
Old 14 May 2012, 06:23   #57
s2325
Zone Friend

You can find it on EAB server /Commodore_Amiga/TOSEC/Games/Public%20Domain/%5BADF%5D/S/
Old 14 May 2012, 08:32   #58
mc6809e

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalH View Post
The difficulty with that is, of course, with the NES and MD both being tile-based systems, the game logic is almost inherently designed for tile-based logic.
It's not only that, but tile-based systems allow for very fast scrolling and screen building. Quick as the blitter is, I'm not sure it could emulate a tile based system at full speed while leaving enough cycles for the CPU. I'd love to be proven wrong. All those small blits of tiles into the frame just kill performance. It might be able to keep up provided all screen shifts are small -- there are some Amiga platform games that are 50/60 fps, but the scrolling amounts involved don't require copying large amounts of tile. I'm pretty sure some of scrolling in SM is greater than one tile width or height per frame.

I think the best chance of getting something as good as SM lay in using the copper to control the blitter in order to build fresh screen margins while hardware scrolling takes care of the rest. A copper list would be prepared ahead of time with blit source addresses of each tile filled-in dynamically by the CPU. Using a copper wait instruction is faster than using a couple of BTSTs to test for the end of a blit so the overhead per blit is smaller. And of course with the copper controlling the blitter, the CPU is free to grab any spare cycles that might be available. I think that's the biggest advantage of using the copper over the CPU.
Old 14 May 2012, 11:48   #59
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

I'm not sure that Super Mario Bros would be that difficult to make on the Amiga at 50fps at all. By storing the bitplanes interleaved, you could do larger blits into the edges than 16x16 for each plane. You could probably get away with larger blocks aswell as there are not that many graphics. Maybe 16 wide by 32 tall or even 32x32 blocks.

The on-screen "action" only affects a small area too, there's no parallax and the original is probably less than 16 colours. A hardware sprite or two for Mario along with a few enemies visible at any time is all that it needs.

I'm sure the Superfrog engine would handle Mario no problem at all, and it even handles vertical scrolling without a copper controlled blitter. Giana Sisters showed it could be done. It would just need a custom Amiga solution for the graphics rather than emulating an NES on the fly.
Old 14 May 2012, 19:06   #60
mc6809e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
I'm not sure that Super Mario Bros would be that difficult to make on the Amiga at 50fps at all. By storing the bitplanes interleaved, you could do larger blits into the edges than 16x16 for each plane. You could probably get away with larger blocks aswell as there are not that many graphics. Maybe 16 wide by 32 tall or even 32x32 blocks.

The on-screen "action" only affects a small area too, there's no parallax and the original is probably less than 16 colours. A hardware sprite or two for Mario along with a few enemies visible at any time is all that it needs.

I'm sure the Superfrog engine would handle Mario no problem at all, and it even handles vertical scrolling without a copper controlled blitter. Giana Sisters showed it could be done. It would just need a custom Amiga solution for the graphics rather than emulating an NES on the fly.
Superfrog looks great! Thanks for mentioning it to me.

Good use of sprites, too. Shame it didn't come out until 1993.