English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 31 August 2007, 11:45   #1
Sensi
Unregistered User

Most favourite/popular game final FINAL

The best/most popular game of all-time final FINAL FINAL !!!

There were threads and polls here to find the best game in different genres and categories (best horizontal shoot 'em up, best racing games etc.), I think it's not bad idea to find the most popular and the most favourite Amiga game here on eab. There are many attempts to find the "best" game of all-time on other websites, the results are often very different, game that is most popular here is 15th there and doesn't appear in TOP 50 somewhere else. There's a problem with "objectivity" I think - how to make objective TOP 50 or TOP 100 when only best five or only ten games are counted? More games are counted more objective the results are. Another problem - a lot of people post their TOP 5/10 after few minutes of considering and another day they would choose different games. More people participate in voting more objective the results are, of course, but it's not the reason to pronounce the results as "Best one hundred games of all-time" / "Final official TOP 50 games of twentieth century" and so on. It's nonsense (because the only "final official top ... of all-time" will be this one :-) ). So to the point - the best way how to find the most popular Amiga games of eab members (and not the best games of all-time) is to vote here in this cool thread :-) And how? Read the following insturctions, it's pretty simple.
Make your own list of your favourite games, rank them, post the rankings here, that's all. Guys from Guess the screenshot thread know how much the rules are important for me :-) so there are some for this thread:

- vote for at least twenty (20) games, fifty (50) is the maximum
EDIT- VOTE FOR AT LEAST 10 GAMES

- if you vote for less than twenty games, your votes won't be counted (if you post the rankings again and you add missing games to fulfil the amount of twenty games, your votes will be counted), if you vote for more than fifty games, only fifty games will receive points

- mentioned games in your rankings receive points according to this simple rule: 1st receives fifty points, 2nd forty nine points, 3rd forty eight etc., 50th game receives one point, if your ranking contains twenty or forty games, the rule is same, fifty points go to the first etc., thirty one points go to the twentieth, twenty one points go to the thirtieth, doesn't matter how many games you have on the list, your top game will receive fifty points

- you can consider about the games which deserve to be among the best Amiga games for long period of time, the deadline will be on the end of 2007 (31st of December), maybe later but not earlier ! There is no need to hurry, think about your rankings, then post, you got time.
EDIT - no deadline

- this rule is maybe unjust but of concern in objectivity only eab members which had become members before this post was sent can post their rankings, it wouldn't be fair if someone creates two or more profiles and votes for some games repeatedly
EDIT - ignore this rule

Those were some rules and there are some requests and demands:

- if you put a game that has several names (releases in Europe and USA for example) on your list and you know both/all the names of the game, mention them please. There are games which are well-known (F1 Grand Prix/World Cicuit, ABC Boxing/TV Boxing, Retee2/Lothar Matthaus/European Champions etc.) and there will be no problem for me to count the points correctly but some games released outside the Europe under the different names could make me count points for two different games.

- don't make the differences between games which were released several times but they are one and the same - special editions, golden editions, deluxe editions, plus editions, version 1.5, 2.0 etc. As well as SWOS, take all versions of SWOS as one game, same with Sensible Soccer. But SWOS and Sensible Soccer are two different games, data disks too, DM1 and Chaos Strikes Back are two different games, Powermonger and Powermonger-WW1 too.

- don't vote for series, vote for concrete, single game, please

- when you post your rankings, don't make any changes then, don't edit your post ! I will be counting the points throughout next months, unregularly, not after the deadline! If you made some changes there would be chaos in it.

- it's up to you which games you're gonna vote for, if you choose only games you played in 90s on real Amiga or you add some games you have found great on WinUAE, which are your criterions it's only up to you, it will be your ranking, your favourite games

OK, when it will be all over, what's then? And why you should think about some stupid rankings and comparing games with each other and waste your time? Because I was doing it last couple of weeks and you should enjoy "what Chaos Engine is better arguments" with yourself too :-) Because it would be interesting to know most popular Amiga games here, where so many people adore same goddess - AMIGA. Because this is just first part and to start second part (that makes whole thing more interesting and exciting :-) ) your rankings are very necessary.

Second part will be classic play-off as it's known in tennis, ice-hockey, football and snails contests. How many games will be in the first round of play-offs depends on total number of games in rankings, more rankings you post more games in play-offs. It depends on your activity if there will be 32 or 16 (or 24 with preeliminary round). System of play-offs will be very easy: highest seeded (top) game from first part goes against the lowest seeded game, second highest against second lowest etc. (1-32, 2-31, 3-30, 4-29 ...), you decide which games will go to the next round, game with more votes wins. Game that finishes higher in first part has got an advantage, when number of votes is equal, it wins. Winner in the final will be winner :-) The most favourite Amiga game.
EDIT - there will be no second, third, fourth, fifth round, just vote for your fav games, thats all

Thank you very much for reading it whole.

Last edited by Sensi; 11 July 2009 at 12:00.
Old 31 August 2007, 11:47   #2
Sensi
Unregistered User

Here is mine:

1. Monkey Island 1 (50 points)
2. Indiana Jones & The Fate of Atlantis (49)
3. Simon the Sorcerer (48)
4. Monkey Island 2 (47)
5. SWOS (46)
6. Frontier (45)
7. Dungeon Master 1 (44)
8. Populous 2 (43)
9. F1 Grand Prix (42)
10. Dune 2 (41)

11. Elite (40)
12. Prince of Persia (39)
13. Powermonger (38)
14. Dungeon Master 2 (37)
15. Sensible Soccer (36)
16. SWIV (35)
17. Silkworm (34)
18. Shadow of the Beast 3 (33)
19. Chaos Engine 1 (32)
20. Chaos Engine 2 (31)

21. Black Crypt (30)
22. Syndicate (29)
23. Elvira 1 (28)
24. Speedball 2 (27)
25. Flashback (26)
26. Turrican 2 (25)
27. DM Expansion Set - Chaos Strikes Back (24)
28. Moonstone (23)
29. Street Fighter 2 (22)
30. Project X (21)

31. Mega-lo-Mania (20)
32. Lemmings 1 (19)
33. Lemmings 2 (18)
34. Another World (17)
35. Tower Assault (16)
36. Banshee (15)
37. Lotus 1 (14)
38. Lure of the Temptress (13)
39. Lamborghini Am.Challenge (12)
40. Crazy Cars 3 (11)

41. Walker (10)
42. Apidya (9)
43. Lionheart (8)
44. Lotus 2 (7)
45. Flight of the Amazon Queen (6)
46. Cannon Fodder 1 (5)
47. Xenon 2 (4)
48. Alien Breed 2 (3)
49. Gods (2)
50. Pinball Fantasies (1)
51. Lost Vikings ( 0 :-) )
Old 31 August 2007, 11:49   #3
Sensi
Unregistered User

Maybe you won't believe it but this f**king list of f**king great games took pretty much time because I am an idiot and I took this very responsible and compared many games with each other, I played one for two hours and another one for three hours and then back again the first one and so on and so on. When the list was almost done I didn't like it because I was not sure about it for 100%. It became an obsession :-) Like I would be choosing best games for Voyager :-)

It's not easy to compare games and it's unable to compare games of different genres. It also depends on player's mood, sometimes it's mood for action, sometimes it's mood for racing or funny adventure with good story and dialogues.
Few words to my list: There are four classic adventure games at the top, the reason is this-I was always fan of adventure games, I admire when someone is able to write good story, movie, book, game. These four games have more-humour, beautiful graphics, very good music, tons of fun and entertainment. Indy is probably the best adventure game of all-time but I MUST put Monkey Island 1 at first place, it's personal affair, love :-) MI2 dissapointed me little bit with that stupid end, that's why it's 4th and Simon 3rd.

SWOS, Frontier, Populous 2, Grand Prix - games I spent so much time with...because they are brilliant. When you think about Sensible Soccer, it's nothing special, only football. But the way how it was done is ingenious. More than ingenious. SWOS is more than more than ingenious :-) SWOS is probably the only game in the world that you can play over and over, forever, you never have enough. Populous 2 - there is something that forces player to play it again, "one more land" means "I'm not going to sleep tonight" :-) I played Populous 1 many years later on PC and then on WinUAE, it didn't catch me, that's why it is not in my TOP 50. I am sure it would be there if I had Amiga two years earlier and played it. Frontier - sequel to Elite, the only game I played for 20 hours without break, these games don't allow poor players to go to school - my own experience :-) Grand Prix is best racing game ever (for Amiga, GP2 is best racing game ever), Oliver Roberts' editor made it even better.

Dungeon Master is Dungeon Master. What else to say? Dune 2 was first RTS, still good. Gameplay of all those brilliant games make them immortal.

Prince of Persia. First game I played on PC, first game I played on any 16bit computer. Prince of Persia is one of three games I rather play on PC nowadays (with Frontier and Dungeon Master 2) but we all know Prince is no worse on Amiga and it's one of the best. Powermonger is another great Bullfrog game, these guys came in the early ninetees with such excellent ideas and games - Populous, Syndicate, Powermonger. Dungeon Master 2 is better on PC, it would be in my PC TOP 10 for sure, I played Amiga version for the first time with WinUAE, FTL means quality, doesn't matter what platform we use.

Why I put SWIV and Silkworm on 16th and 17th place? Because both of them are the best games in their categories (horizontal and vertical shoot'em up) for me and I don't know which one is better :-) Same dilemma I had with Chaos Engine 1 and 2 and Lemmings 1 and 2. Because the sequels were sequels and were based on original ideas of first parts, they lost. Chaos Engine series are classical Bitmap Brothers games, for me best shoot'em up game with human character. SOTB 3 is same case like MI1, can't forget when I played it for the first time. Music is what makes this game brilliant piece of art. All these action games (SWIV,Silkworm,CE,SOTB 3) were reason why stay at home and don't spend money on coin-up machine games. It applies for Speedball 2, Flashback, Turrican 2, Project X, Tower Assault, Banshee, Walker, Lionheart, Xenon 2, Gods, Apidya, Lotus.

When I was working on this list, thinking about every single game, I realized (again) how great it was when these game were played and other computers didn't deserve to smell Amiga's shit :-)
Old 31 August 2007, 12:09   #4
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

I dont think anyone can be arsed to type out 20 games let alone 50.. thats why you have a thread of your own
Old 31 August 2007, 12:17   #5
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
I dont think anyone can be arsed to type out 20 games let alone 50.. thats why you have a thread of your own
Who knows.
Many times I read "Only five?, Only ten?, I would add more".

I hope there are people who will participate on this.

EDIT: I dont think it's problem to mention twenty most favourtie games and sort them out for someone who likes amiga and amiga games. It takes few minutes.

Last edited by Sensi; 31 August 2007 at 13:05.
Old 31 August 2007, 14:19   #6
pbareges

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleFan View Post
Who knows.
Many times I read "Only five?, Only ten?, I would add more".

I hope there are people who will participate on this.

EDIT: I dont think it's problem to mention twenty most favourtie games and sort them out for someone who likes amiga and amiga games. It takes few minutes.
i'm totally in! i just have to sort it out...only one suggestion : instead of linearly spreading the 1275 points capital, why not let the user spread it his way to min 20 and max 50 games ?
Old 31 August 2007, 14:29   #7
pbareges

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbareges View Post
i'm totally in! i just have to sort it out...only one suggestion : instead of linearly spreading the 1275 points capital, why not let the user spread it his way to min 20 and max 50 games ?
you may want to set a maximum number of points you can allocate to one game (let's say 100 to 200) so that there's a reasonnable ratio between points allocated by one user to one game and the regular 50 pts 1st rank.
Old 31 August 2007, 14:31   #8
Graham Humphrey

I'll have a bash at this tonight, give me some time to think about it first
Old 03 September 2007, 10:51   #9
Sensi
Unregistered User

Thanks a lot guys, both of you

No thread of my own, I am so glad

Not bad idea, pbaregas, I am more for the previous idea but we are at beginning so other members may post suggestions, what they think about your system, about mine. And decide what system we will use.

Last edited by Sensi; 03 September 2007 at 11:19.
Old 03 September 2007, 14:22   #10
Graham Humphrey

I will do this y'know Just no time currently...
Old 03 September 2007, 14:59   #11
Sensi
Unregistered User

I thought about it pbaregas, I think the original system is better because it is more fair.
Example: Three guys post their rankings with 50 games and their most favourite games receive 50 points. Someone else posts ranking with less games and spreads the points, 100 points for the most favourite game. It is not fair for most favourite games of those who post their rankings with 50 games.

I am considering about reducing the lowest amount from 20 to 15 games in the rankings if 20 games is an obstacle for people here to post their rankings. But I dont know if they dont post because 20 is a lot or they dont want to participate in for any other reason.

A lot of views is here in this thread but only few comments.

GH, calm down, take it easy You got four months for it.

EDIT: Smack me if I write any of these words: game(s), favourite, points, rankings(s).

Last edited by Sensi; 04 September 2007 at 11:31.
Old 04 September 2007, 11:33   #12
Sensi
Unregistered User

I hope you are working on your rankings with your favourite games, that's why there is no activity from you.

It hurts!
Old 04 September 2007, 12:03   #13
P-J

Sorry pal, it's just too much like hard work.
Old 04 September 2007, 12:06   #14
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Sorry pal, it's just too much like hard work.
Then dont take it scientificly and choose your twenty best, rank it in few minutes and post it.
Old 04 September 2007, 12:51   #15
Marcuz

i just read this thread and since i'm in a good mood i think i'll write down a half ranked half assed list ... 20 games?
Old 04 September 2007, 13:26   #16
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
OK let me start by saying that I didn't take this lightly! I came to the office at 09:00 and I've been working at this since then (it's now 14:00).

I fully support this idea and I hope everyone will vote.

I don't know whether versions are important or not. Wherever there's an AGA version in my list, consider that's what I'm voting for, except for Trolls; I prefer the ECS version.

Here it is then:

1 Kick Off 2 50 points
2 Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge 49 points
3 Monkey Island 1 48 points
4 Wings 47 points
5 Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis 46 points
6 Deluxe Galaga 45 points
7 All new world of Lemmings 44 points
8 Sensible World of Soccer 43 points
9 Player Manager 42 points
10 Worms 41 points

11 Flashback 40 points
12 Leisure Suit Larry 3 39 points
13 Lemmings 38 points
14 Skweek 37 points
15 Superfrog 36 points
16 Another World 35 points
17 Turrican 2 34 points
18 Project X 33 points
19 Rick Dangerous 32 points
20 Loom 31 points

21 Shadow of the Beast 3 30 points
22 Simon the Sorcerer 1 29 points
23 Leisure Suit Larry 1 28 points
24 Aladdin 27 points
25 Uninvited 26 points
26 TV Sports Basketball 25 points
27 Future Wars: Time Travellers 24 points
28 Flight of the Amazon Queen 23 points
29 Gobliiins 22 points
30 Agony 21 points

31 Benefactor 20 points
32 Cruise for a Corpse 19 points
33 Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge 18 points
34 Maniac Mansion 17 points
35 Shadow of the Beast 1 16 points
36 The Lost Vikings 15 points
37 Trolls 14 points
38 Hybris 13 points
39 Pinball Illusions 12 points
40 Projectyle 11 points

41 Beneath A Steel Sky 10 points
42 Gobliins 2: The Prince Buffoon 9 points
43 International Karate + 8 points
44 POW 7 points
45 Soccer Kid 6 points
46 Centercourt Tennis 5 points
47 Deflektor 4 points
48 Innocent Until Caught 3 points
49 Space Quest III 2 points
50 Chessmaster 2000 1 point
Old 04 September 2007, 13:55   #17
Marcuz

Lists are for nerds and time wasters

1 - Lotus Turbo Challenge
2 - Elvira 1
3 - Xenon 2
4 - Perihelion
5 - Powermonger 2
6 - Civilization
7 - Wiz 'n' Liz
8 - Parasol Star
9 - Utopia
10 - Elvira 2
11 - Horror Zombies From The Crypt
12 - Populous 2
13 - Eye of the Beholder
14 - Eye of the Beholder 2
15 - Ishar 2
16 - Darkmere
17 - Prince of Persia
18 - Sensible Soccer 96/97
19 - Hired Guns
20 - Ishar 1
21 - Frontier
22 - It Came From the Desert
23 - Monkey Island 2
24 - Jaguar XJ220
25 - Lotus Turbo Challenge 2
26 - Journey
27 - Project X
28 - Profezia
29 - Ghost and Goblins
30 - Ghouls and Ghosts
31 - Another World
32 - Legend Of Kyrandia
33 - Loom
34 - Monkey Island
35 - Rise of the Dragon
36 - Black Crypt
37 - Dune
38 - Gods
39 - Turrican 2
40 - Myth
41 - F/A 18 Interceptor
42 - Agony
43 - Sword and Galleons
44 - Ishar 3
45 - Heimdall
46 - Legend of Ragnarok
47 - Heimdall 2
48 - Millemiglia
49 - Wrath of the Demon
50 - Shadow of the Beast 2
51 - Pang
52 - Deflektor
53 - Pinball Fantasies

Speedball 2... Nebulus...

Last edited by Marcuz; 05 September 2007 at 14:43.
Old 04 September 2007, 14:38   #18
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana View Post
5 - Powermonger 2
Never heard THAT before. Do you mean WW1 edition?
Old 04 September 2007, 17:29   #19
Marcuz

yes i do
Old 05 September 2007, 14:35   #20
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkis21 View Post
OK let me start by saying that I didn't take this lightly! I came to the office at 09:00 and I've been working at this since then (it's now 14:00).

I fully support this idea and I hope everyone will vote.

I LOVE you

EDIT: And Marco Pedrana too
Thanks.