English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 October 2013, 21:16   #1
Sim085

IDE cable for A1200

Hello, I have another quick question. What type of IDE cable do I need to fit a CF card in an A1200? I can notice that the pins on the A1200 are closer together then the pins on the CF card board I have. How do you people do it? What did you have to buy?
Old 07 October 2013, 21:28   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

You need a 44-pin IDE ribbon cable. The ribbon cable also carries the power rails, so no separate power lead is necessary.
Old 07 October 2013, 21:31   #3
Jope
-

And you need a 44 pin CF to IDE adapter to go with the 44 pin ribbon cable.

Better yet, get an adapter that has a 44 pin female connector on the bottom, those plug directly to the Amiga's motherboard.
Old 07 October 2013, 23:41   #4
Sim085

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Better yet, get an adapter that has a 44 pin female connector on the bottom, those plug directly to the Amiga's motherboard.
Is this one good?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CF-to-44-P...item43a3caba2c
Old 07 October 2013, 23:47   #5
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
The type you linked connects direct to the IDE header so no cable is needed, it will work perfectly fine in your A1200 but you might need to remove the top shielding, you also might have problems if you wish to fit an upgrade later like the Indivision AGA.

This is the type which use a cable:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CF-to-IDE-...item5d44ba9eb9

And this cable:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IDE-44-Pin...item335f897fd1

Or you can shop around for locally, there are eBay sellers who sell a complete kit as well as the likes of Amigakit

(Beware if you order from China it can take a few weeks to arrive and I have found quality issues in the past)
Old 07 October 2013, 23:49   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim085 View Post
Yep, that looks like it'll do the job.

Unfortunately, there is no absolute guarantee with CF cards or these adapters that they will be compatible either with each other or with the Amiga's IDE controller, but there's not many that don't work - especially when used with SanDisk CF cards.
Old 07 October 2013, 23:59   #7
Sim085

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
This is the type which use a cable:
Thanks, that helps a lot.
Old 08 October 2013, 00:36   #8
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Does someone know about a better Ide Cable to work with a Fast ATA? Because I've seen problems on the past that seemed caused by a "hot" one under PIO5 (no problems after letting it/all cold).
Old 08 October 2013, 00:45   #9
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Does someone know about a better Ide Cable to work with a Fast ATA? Because I've seen problems on the past that seemed caused by a "hot" one under PIO5 (no problems after letting it/all cold).
40-pin IDE cables were made with 80-wire high-density ribbon for use with Ultra DMA 66/100 IDE controllers, but there were never any similar 44-pin IDE cables made, AFAIK.

A pity, since PIO5 mode may benefit from such a cable.
Old 08 October 2013, 15:19   #10
amigakit.com

44-way IDE cable is here for £1.79:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=574

We sell complete 4GB CF IDE hard drives prepped and formatted for the Amiga with our OS-Install software pre-loaded here:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=883
Old 08 October 2013, 17:40   #11
Sim085

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
44-way IDE cable is here for £1.79:
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=574
Do you have longer versions of this? I noticed that there is space for a connector under the floppy drive. Is this used for anything important (at the moment there is a plastic cap). If not, can't I connect the CF card there so that I can easily connect it and disconnect it?
Old 08 October 2013, 23:00   #12
roy bates

Quote:
you could also consider that it could be the connection between the fastata and the rom sockets.

i changed mine to round pin for a better connection,and made pio5 very attainable.(it wouldnt go to pio4 before)

although that sort of modification should only be done if your confident you can do it.or you could find someone to do it for you.
i dont use any special cables,i just keep them as short as possible.i made my own with 28awg ribbon cable.and idc connecters.
thats basicly what there made of anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim085 View Post
Do you have longer versions of this? I noticed that there is space for a connector under the floppy drive. Is this used for anything important (at the moment there is a plastic cap). If not, can't I connect the CF card there so that I can easily connect it and disconnect it?
you can have a cable go there if its long enough.
im guesing it would have to be around 45 cm long though.

people have cut slots in the case in left side making it a much shorter distance,a person on here called kipper2k makes a adaptor that makes that option a very appealing prospect

Last edited by prowler; 08 October 2013 at 23:13. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 08 October 2013, 23:19   #13
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Thanks Roy. Well, in fact as I want to install a new Fast ATA MKIV -I come from an MKII and parcel from AmigaKit not opened yet-, I've got desoldered the original kickstarts sockets from the mobo, but I'm awaiting for the round ones yet.

On the other side, I've opened a ticket at AmigaKit half an hour ago to see if they can make a custom IDE cable (following Prowler's advice) 88-wire high density ribbon, with 44 pins. I also think this would be the solution for PIO 5:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
A pity, since PIO5 mode may benefit from such a cable.
I've got the ide-cf adapter on the left side of the miggy (external slot to change the Cf's), so I need 15cms of cable.

Edit: I don't want to go offtopic, but I didn't comment this: I was using some rised 44-pin sockets to make an angle to fit the Indi, but I made the mistake of pressing them -as it wasn't booting- with the miggy turned on, so I had something burned; smoke and so -I hope just the ide cable-. I've looked all -dismantled- and I don't see anything wrong. Finally I saw I had one of the contacts of the kickstarts sockets on the miggy crushed by one of pins of the the rised sockets (too sharp). This time -If all works- I'm going to use a couple of round pins sockets as I've seen them working with an Indi.

EDIT: WOW... post 3,000 .

Last edited by Retrofan; 09 October 2013 at 02:20.
Old 08 October 2013, 23:43   #14
roy bates

Quote:
Thanks Roy. Well, in fact as I want to install a new Fast ATA MKIV -I come from an MKII and parcel from AmigaKit not opened yet-, I've got desoldered the original kickstarts sockets from the mobo, but I'm awaiting for the round ones yet.

On the other side, I've opened a ticket at AmigaKit half an hour ago to see if they can make a custom IDE cable (following Prowler's advice) 88-wire high density ribbon, with 44 pins.

I've got the ide-cf adapter on the left side of the miggy (external slot to change the Cf's), so I need 15cms of cable.

Edit: I don't want to go offtopic, but I didn't comment this: I was using the rised 44-pin sockets to make an angle to fit the Indi, but I made the error of pressing them -as it wasn't booting- with the miggy turned on, so I had something burned -I hope just the ide cable-. I've looked all -dismantled- and I don't see anything wrong. Finally I saw I had one of the pins of the kickstarts sockets on the miggy crushed by one of the rised sockets (too sharp). This time -If all works- I'm going to use a couple of round pins sockets as I've seen them working with an Indi.

well i dont want to drag it off topic either.

so i'll wish you luck.
Old 09 October 2013, 00:59   #15
amigakit.com

@Sim085

We have many different cables here:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...bon-cables.php

You can choose the cable right for you.
Old 09 October 2013, 02:04   #16
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I like this part "We stock a wide range of ribbon cables and can make cables to your requirements. Please contact us for a quote."

I've used that option in the past, making some custom scsi cable to fit between my Acard and my BPPC; working great.

Last edited by Retrofan; 09 October 2013 at 02:13.