English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 30 April 2015, 00:26   #161
s2325
Zone Friend

Old 30 April 2015, 08:56   #162
Gzegzolka

I think I could write here a very long essay, but I will just try to point some of my thoughts in this matter:
1. Games with no both music and sfx effects like Premiere
2. Games with no English translation like Mag
3. CD32 games that do not use all pad buttons an have strange combinations like Myth
4. Games that was in late development state but devs hear that Commodore is gone in 94 and just like that they cancel their projects - like Inferno or Blork
5. Dev teams that do not do backup of their work for safety reasons - like Silencer
6. I feel pity for game that have awesome graphics but lacks fluent gameplay, it's like wasted dream when something cool could be made but at the end there is only some shovel-were inferior port with very low frame-rate and not-responsive controls - like Rise of the Robots
7. Long games with no HD-install, not save disk option or even nor password system.
Old 08 May 2015, 13:22   #163
edd_jedi

I dislike the fact most Amiga games have either no or very poor intros (or 'attract mode' as arcade games get called.) I guess it was to save space, but one thing I really loved about console games was the cool intros. I can think of lots of big Amiga games that basically just had a black screen with "Press Fire!" as the intro, hardly makes you want to play the game.

Also, an obvious one that I'm sure has been covered, but the amount of platform games that use 'up' for jump and general lack of using 2+ buttons, surely most people had (or could get) a 2 button controller by 1990.
Old 10 May 2015, 16:16   #164
TenLeftFingers

When I was a kid I was still using a Commodore 64 when most people had moved on to Amigas. I thought you were all nutters to complain about loading times or disk swapping
Come to think of it, the c64 did have cartridge based software that would have been faster than anything on floppy.

Nowadays the main issue I bave with Amiga games is the cost of buying them in recent years. I've just gotten an A1200 and the cost of parts, games etc are well up on five or so years ago.
Old 10 May 2015, 21:10   #165
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd_jedi View Post
Also, an obvious one that I'm sure has been covered, but the amount of platform games that use 'up' for jump and general lack of using 2+ buttons, surely most people had (or could get) a 2 button controller by 1990.
no, strangely. We got through loads of joysticks but never had one with two (independent) fire buttons. It never occurred to me that there was anything amiss, either, until consoles started to take over with their ever-increasing button counts.
Old 11 May 2015, 07:46   #166
Jope
-

Never underestimate the size of an installed base. People had loads of single button atari sticks and it was the lowest common denominator across many different home computers. Amiga only multi button sticks would have been rather expensive, and the game controller business was not exactly a high margin business IMO. :-D
Old 11 May 2015, 09:16   #167
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
2) Lack of 2 button support. The Amiga hardware was made to support 2 button since the start
Amiga supports three buttons.
Old 11 May 2015, 09:40   #168
Gzegzolka

Back in 90's I do not mind pressing up to jump, it was normal for someone who was used to use joystick, not gamepad, to control. It was simple and old games were made like that. I'm also sure I have 2-button joystick since each button do different stuff in Disney's Aladdin and in Desert Strike. After some time when I buy pc and start to play with emulation I discover that gamepad are also good way to control charters in games, simple use one side for different actions and other side for moving. I find that some games are much better to play when You have extra button for jump and some are simpe and do not need that feature.
Old 11 May 2015, 13:02   #169
edd_jedi

I guess it's because I got my Amiga later than most people. I had a Spectrum in the 80s so joysticks were my first introduction to gaming, but then in the early 90s I had a Sega Master System and SNES before finally getting an Amiga 1200 in 1994. So I had spent several years using multi button joypads by then, and had no intention of going back to joysticks. I always used a Megadrive pad with my Amiga.
Old 11 May 2015, 13:39   #170
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Before the Amiga, I had an MSX. Released in 1983, and that thing HAD TWO BUTTONS.
It was really weird to move to a much superior hardware but having only 1 button.
Old 11 May 2015, 13:45   #171
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

On the Spectrum it was common to allow the player to redefine keyboard controls but most Amiga games don't allow this.