English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 08 April 2006, 01:19   #1
Smiley
Amiga-less!

Internal Floppy drive doesnt realise ive put a disk in!

Ok my NEC 2nd internal floppy drive doesnt respond when I put disks into it.

It turns on ok and it clicks every few seconds like a normal floppy would, until u put a disk in and it loads.

I put a disk in...but it keeps clicking every few seconds but making a different noise because its scraping against the disk or something.

Nothing loads.....but the LED flashes when the drive clicks

I heard something about a DC switch not making conact?

I have the drive open and do not know what the DC switch is. Pics would be helpful

Thanks

PS also its got a little curcuit board on top held on with thin cables. This had some chips on and a tiny switch which has 4 unmarked settings. Any ideas what this is?
Old 08 April 2006, 17:50   #2
mrodfr

hello,

don't know if that could help for your case but a good fellow here give me the advice to put cleaner contact spray on the switch on the floppy drive who take to presence of the floppy disk. (the switch who test if the floppy is or isn't write protected).

It was for my external floppy drive and 5 minuts after using the clean contact spray, my second floppy drive work again normally

sorry for this maybe bad explanation en english.
Old 10 April 2006, 13:26   #3
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

The pin is normaly located near the opening of the drive where you insert the disk.
There are 2 of them, one is exactly fitting the write-protection hole in the disk when it is inserted, and another one is behind it or on the other side of the drive. This 'other one' is the disk detection sensor.
As alread mentioned, put a tiny drip of electronic contact spry or alcohol there and then gently push the pin down several times to ensure it makes good contact again.
Old 10 April 2006, 14:23   #4
Smiley
Amiga-less!

Ok thanks, is the disk detection pin wider than the write-proetction one?

EDIT: Ok I cleaned all the pins with alcohol and it still doesnt work....think im going to jyst have to buy a new one..

Last edited by Smiley; 10 April 2006 at 14:58.
Old 11 April 2006, 19:48   #5
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

You have to spray inside the tiny gap between the pin and the small plastic part which holds the pin and then push it a few times down.
If that doesn't work then the pin seems broken