English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > Collections

Old 13 October 2019, 19:36   #1
sTe

Floppy disk Random Collection

Hi,

I have found a huge collection, a collection of collections, some adf rips from the owner, and a collection which is quiet big and needs some of the the disk sorters to take a quick look for any hidden / missing gems. There are DMS files, ADF files, there are lots of duplicates, there are TOSEC stuff, BBS stuff, stuff and old stuff from the old FTP? ... there is some warez. This is just a huge collection which has been built on for years ... unsorted.

Does anyone have any ideas what to sort for? I dont want to just mass upload duplicates, and especially warez.

If you want to take a look, and feedback here take a look in the uploads/Dozer folder.

Old 13 October 2019, 20:28   #2
DamienD
Banned

Dozer has just listed everything contained on the EAB File Server at various locations in a .TXT file...

Yes; all this needs to be sorted as I'm sure there are gems to be found
Old 13 October 2019, 20:32   #3
sTe

Dozer isnt so familiar with TOSEC, as I mentioned its all unsorted.

I can get him to upload all and then let the master TOSEC people remove stuff as they see fit.

Not sure if I can get his folder locked down, as dont want to be sharing something without it be checked first. I would have to have a word with Turran.

Unless you have another idea?
Old 13 October 2019, 20:38   #4
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sTe View Post
Dozer isnt so familiar with TOSEC, as I mentioned its all unsorted.

I can get him to upload all and then let the master TOSEC people remove stuff as they see fit.

Not sure if I can get his folder locked down, as dont want to be sharing something without it be checked first. I would have to have a word with Turran.

Unless you have another idea?
Not sure what you mean?

I'm an admin of the EAB File Server, the only thing in the "~Uploads/Dozer" directory is a text file named "amiga_stuff.txt".

This is a file listing and points to various locations already on the EAB File Server
Old 13 October 2019, 20:41   #5
sTe

Sorry, I thought you was saying there was something in his text you wanted.

So, nothing is wanted?
Old 13 October 2019, 20:50   #6
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
[...] So, nothing is wanted?
Maybe letting a little bit of time to people would be a good idea ?
One hour ago you inform about having something and one hour later already ask if something is needed.
And we are Sunday evening .

Last edited by malko; 13 October 2019 at 20:59. Reason: typo
Old 13 October 2019, 20:53   #7
sTe

Yeah of course...

Just wanted to make sure I understood DamienD.
If someone in authority wanted a copy, I would ask Dozer to start uploading

Ill wait until a decision is made / authorised by the admins here.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
Maybe letting a little bit of time to people would be a good idea ?.
One hour ago you inform abour having something and one hour later already ask if something is needed.
And we are Sunday evening .
Old 13 October 2019, 22:01   #8
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Just wanted to make sure I understood DamienD.
If someone in authority wanted a copy, I would ask Dozer to start uploading
Oh I understand completely.

...but I think you're missing the point sTe.

Really hate to sound like a broken record but:

The only file in the directory "~Uploads/Dozer" is a text file named "amiga_stuff.txt"...

This is just a text file listing; and points to various locations already on the EAB File Server

There's nothing for "Dozer to start uploading"; as it's already there on the EAB File Server... that's what needs to be sorted.
Old 14 October 2019, 05:22   #9
chip

Without no doubt it's really a big collection

But as DamienD said most of it is already on the eab file server

Personally speaking i checked the txt file and there's nothing i'm really interested in
Old 14 October 2019, 08:07   #10
LongLifeA1200

That .txt file is over 17MB! Blimey.
Old 25 November 2019, 02:36   #11
gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Oh I understand completely.

There's nothing for "Dozer to start uploading"; as it's already there on the EAB File Server... that's what needs to be sorted.
Is this on the EAB server?
./collections/Personal Collections/icycools_disk_archive_(non-tosec)/

I couldn't find it using the search tool. I also searched for "abel megademo" which is in the listing "amiga_stuff.txt" but shows no matches. The 'random aussie ADF archive*' files don't contain these files either.

sTe, could you please upload this collection?
Old 25 November 2019, 11:32   #12
DamienD
Banned

See this thread regarding the collection that icycool started uploading: Random Aussie ADF Archive
Old 25 November 2019, 17:18   #13
lesta_smsc

Quote:
See this thread regarding the collection that icycool started uploading: Random Aussie ADF Archive
He's been banned now for his unacceptable behaviour, but any news on whether this has been updated 'elsewhere'?
Old 25 November 2019, 17:41   #14
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
He's been banned now for his unacceptable behaviour, but any news on whether this has been updated 'elsewhere'?
Is it not on the EAB File Server under ~Uploads\icycool?

...can't check whilst at work.
Old 25 November 2019, 18:18   #15
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Is it not on the EAB File Server under ~Uploads\icycool?

...can't check whilst at work.
You're correct, it is! Some reason I was not able to find it, but just searched "icycool" and all the files associated with that name popped up Thanks!
Old 25 November 2019, 22:11   #16
gary

Quote:
You're correct, it is! Some reason I was not able to find it, but just searched "icycool" and all the files associated with that name popped up Thanks!
No, the archives in the icycool folder do not contain the files listed in "amiga_stuff.txt". Most of the files in the files in those random aussie archives are just more images of game disks. There seem to be more interesting files (rare Australian productions) listed in amiga_stuff.txt that I'd like to check out. This is why I asked sTe to upload the icycool files listed in amiga_stuff.txt.

Quote:
Yes, it is a shame that he turned out to be a prick, but sTe has the files and was willing to upload them.

Last edited by gary; 25 November 2019 at 22:21.
Old 25 November 2019, 23:02   #17
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

All going well, STE should be uploading part of the Skid Row collection on Wednesday.

Two weeks ago, I personally hand delivered a box of disks to him in Mansfield so we can get them done quicker
Old 25 November 2019, 23:06   #18
BippyM
Global Moderator

I'm in Mansfield.. Should have popped in for a cuppa.

If any help is needed imaging these let me know ??
Old 26 November 2019, 01:25   #19
lesta_smsc

Great work guys! Leicester not too far either, depending on where you drove from, you may have gone past lol.

Is the collection being made into .ADF or some other format... only reason I'm asking is because DiskRipper could do them into .ADF but unless you're using KryoFlux for to dumps?
Old 27 November 2019, 11:44   #20
sTe

I use Kryoflux for all of my sins

Its slow, and awful at error recovery. I can rip a disk in around 2mins15 seconds ... but the recovery is the bit that takes a while ... sometimes I have to give up, and leave that disk in my "bad" pile.

I also do this in between being a carer for my Gran. So between the two, I get a few done here and there, but kryoflux is the pain ... for anyone who uses it, they know ... it was designed to preserve good and bad data and not designed to correct / fix sectors. For example ... I might read a track, and have 4 bad sectors and 7 good sectors, with a retry ... I might on the next read get 8 bad sectors, 3 good sectors. Kryoflux will keep the last read it preformed .... 7 good sectors would have been better than keeping 3 good sectors.

I rip to RAW file, using RAW (-i0) / RAW with ADF (-0a -i5 or -i0 -i5) guidance .I keep a log file, and make sure cylinders 00-79 exist, and that they are all "Amiga DOS: OK". And then convert from RAW to ADF. All this is scripted, so working out the bad tracks, I can try and re-read to get a good track again. I also capture cylinders 00 -- 83... so incase we discover missing cylinders are need, I can convert to ADF again.

This week I have some visitors ... so wont start imaging the next bunch again until next week. I have a Weasel board ... and I am hoping this can help out in imaging the disks to ADF... hoping to test this out sometime over the weekend. Failing that ... back to the trusty / problematic kryoflux

Follow the post in the collections / skidrow ... that should let you know where the next files are.

Quote:
Great work guys! Leicester not too far either, depending on where you drove from, you may have gone past lol.

Is the collection being made into .ADF or some other format... only reason I'm asking is because DiskRipper could do them into .ADF but unless you're using KryoFlux for to dumps?