English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 28 February 2010, 23:51   #21
amigakit.com

All our accelerators are thoroughly tested as standard before shipping to customers. We would not want to send out defective goods to customers.

Mounted on the accelerator is a crystal oscillator (black component with four metal legs adjacent to the Lattice chip directly below an empty oscillator socket).

During installation, it has been known for some customers to insert the accelerator card and in the process dislodge the oscillator. Ensure the oscillator is firmly inserted into the accelerator (and hasn't been dislodged partially).

It is a very good idea to have a high wattage PSU when adding a few extra upgrades to a stock A1200. The standard Commodore PSU will sometimes cope for a while but eventually fail if put under strain for a prolonged period of time.

The A1200 goes through a self-diagnostic test on start up- it will display a dark grey screen, then grey screen and finally display the purple insert disk screen.

If it does not display the second grey screen in the process, the possibilities are:

- the accelerator is not mounted fully/evenly onto the A1200's CPU edge connector

- the CPU edge connector is corroded/oxidized and requires a clean to make good contact

- the A1200's upper metal RF shielding is shorting against the accelerator.

- the oscillator on the accelerator is displaced.

Always ensure you have taken adequate anti-static precautions before attempting any installation of upgrades in your Amiga.

Last edited by amigakit.com; 28 February 2010 at 23:56.
Old 28 February 2010, 23:55   #22
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=4483
Old 01 March 2010, 00:13   #23
DaveGlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
All our accelerators are thoroughly tested as standard before shipping to customers. We would not want to send out defective goods to customers.

Mounted on the accelerator is a crystal oscillator (black component with four metal legs adjacent to the Lattice chip directly below an empty oscillator socket).

During installation, it has been known for some customers to insert the accelerator card and in the process dislodge the oscillator. Ensure the oscillator is firmly inserted into the accelerator (and hasn't been dislodged partially).

It is a very good idea to have a high wattage PSU when adding a few extra upgrades to a stock A1200. The standard Commodore PSU will sometimes cope for a while but eventually fail if put under strain for a prolonged period of time.

The A1200 goes through a self-diagnostic test on start up- it will display a dark grey screen, then grey screen and finally display the purple insert disk screen.

If it does not display the second grey screen in the process, the possibilities are:

- the accelerator is not mounted fully/evenly onto the A1200's CPU edge connector

- the CPU edge connector is corroded/oxidized and requires a clean to make good contact

- the A1200's upper metal RF shielding is shorting against the accelerator.

- the oscillator on the accelerator is displaced.

Always ensure you have taken adequate anti-static precautions before attempting any installation of upgrades in your Amiga.
OK, i've checked this component and it is seated fine. I have however spotted something with the Lattice chip to the left of the crystal. On the right hand side of the chip, the leg that is the 2nd one up from the bottom is not soldered down and actually sticking out to the side. Is this normal?
Old 01 March 2010, 00:16   #24
amigakit.com

Yes thats perfectly normal with this card.

Our technician has soak tested that accelerator before despatch to you.
Old 01 March 2010, 00:23   #25
DaveGlo

OK, ill give it another shot tomorrow after work. I need to find my carbon tipped pen to give the contacts in the Amiga a clean, i haven't seen it since moving house! anyone got any other tips for doing this, if i can't find it?
Rkauer, that mod looks cool, just don't know if the PSU from amigakit can be stripped down enough to fit in the standard box, i think its a standard ATX size. Cheers for this link though.
Old 01 March 2010, 00:31   #26
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGlo View Post
I need to find my carbon tipped pen to give the contacts in the Amiga a clean, i haven't seen it since moving house! anyone got any other tips for doing this, if i can't find it?
Hi Dave, and welcome to EAB!

If you can't find your carbon tipped pen, use a soft pencil eraser to clean the contacts with.
(I use a stranded-glass-fibre tipped pen for cleaning contacts.)
Old 01 March 2010, 01:00   #27
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Hi Dave, and welcome to EAB!

If you can't find your carbon tipped pen, use a soft pencil eraser to clean the contacts with.
(I use a stranded-glass-fibre tipped pen for cleaning contacts.)
I use a cotton bud dipped in Isopropyl... It's also great for cleaning old game cartridges
Old 01 March 2010, 01:01   #28
DaveGlo

Cool ill try that. I just can't believe how much i'm spending to get it up and running again!
so far in the last 2 weeks i've forked out for the CF drive, accelerator, PSU, 2x zipsticks and a RGB to scart cable. I think there maybe more yet too! I'm now reading that to get a good image on my LCD TV i might need to buy a "flicker fixer"
I have been testing using an RF cable and it looks rubbish, almost blurred, hence buying the RGB to scart.
Starting to think the minimig might have been a better idea!
Old 01 March 2010, 01:03   #29
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGlo View Post
Cool ill try that. I just can't believe how much i'm spending to get it up and running again!
so far in the last 2 weeks i've forked out for the CF drive, accelerator, PSU, 2x zipsticks and a RGB to scart cable. I think there maybe more yet too! I'm now reading that to get a good image on my LCD TV i might need to buy a "flicker fixer"
I have been testing using an RF cable and it looks rubbish, almost blurred, hence buying the RGB to scart.
Starting to think the minimig might have been a better idea!
Hi mate, the RGB scart cable should do the trick, I use RGB scart on my A1200 and the picture is superb on my LCD TV. You'll only need the flicker fixer if you want to use a PC Monitor.

Also you can't beat a real A1200 its the best of the bunch for an all rounder. Minimig fine for playing old A500 ADF games but for WHDLoad, ect you want a pimped out A1200.

Steve.

Last edited by fitzsteve; 01 March 2010 at 01:09.
Old 01 March 2010, 01:12   #30
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
As rkauer and cosmicfrog said. Check that first, I find that you have to bend the metal slightly as when inserting the card, it can short against the stupidly place metal shield.

Also what about the crystal? as that been dislodged and damaged?
Are there any accelerators that will fit without bending or removing the RF shield? I'm interested in one of these E-matrix cards for the new A1200 i've ordered from you guys but dont want to have to bend anything to make it fit!
Old 01 March 2010, 01:20   #31
DaveGlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Hi mate, the RGB scart cable should do the trick, I use RGB scart on my A1200 and the picture is superb on my LCD TV. You'll only need the flicker fixer if you want to use a PC Monitor.

Also you can't beat a real A1200 its the best of the bunch for an all rounder. Minimig fine for playing old A500 ADF games but for WHDLoad, ect you want a pimped out A1200.

Steve.
This is what i was thinking, and i've already got a GP2x Wiz with UAE4ALL running on it with about 6 gigs of ADFs. I could get the s-video out cable, but the lack of keyboard is a pain (FA18 interceptor is a no go!) and you cant beat using a joystick for sensible soccer. I also run an emulator on my work laptop and use a xbox 360 pad, but it just doesn't play the same, though i wish upgrading my A1200 was as easy as in WINUAE!!
Old 01 March 2010, 01:23   #32
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
Are there any accelerators that will fit without bending or removing the RF shield?
I've never heard of one that fouls the RF shield before today. I have the RF shields intact on both my A1200s (One Commodore and one Escom), and I've never had that problem with either of them.

The 1230/40MHz card I have now is a Typhoon MkII.
Old 01 March 2010, 01:30   #33
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
I've never heard of one that fouls the RF shield before today. I have the RF shields intact on both my A1200s (One Commodore and one Escom), and I've never had that problem with either of them.

I have a Magnum 030 card in my Commodore A1200 and it's fine... i did put some electrical tape in the trapdoor just in case anything makes contact with the RF shielding

I was interested in a card from "AndlyLandy" over at Amibay but it sounds like it won't fit without bending the RF shield or cracking open the A1200 case http://amibay.com/showthread.php?t=4894
Old 01 March 2010, 01:33   #34
amigakit.com

If you order an accelerator before the A1200 is despatched, we can fit the accelerator and test the complete system, so you wont need to worry about installation.

The upper lip of the RF shield directly above the CPU connector sometimes catches on the accelerator connector. This can happen will all models of A1200 accelerators.
Old 01 March 2010, 01:44   #35
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
If you order an accelerator before the A1200 is despatched, we can fit the accelerator and test the complete system, so you wont need to worry about installation.

The upper lip of the RF shield directly above the CPU connector sometimes catches on the accelerator connector. This can happen will all models of A1200 accelerators.
Ok i'm going to order it right now from Amigakit.co.uk This is getting expensive
Old 01 March 2010, 01:52   #36
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Ok i've now ordered the E-matrix card and left a little message asking for it to be installed Will the RF shield be left intact/present and will my A1200 still contain a HDD cradle? Cheers
Old 01 March 2010, 01:52   #37
amigakit.com

Thank you!

Yes it will all be left intact complete with cradle.
Old 01 March 2010, 01:57   #38
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Thank you!

Yes it will all be left intact complete with cradle.
Thats great, cheers

I can't wait until it arrives
Old 01 March 2010, 09:30   #39
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:

Snap!

But I cant close the trap door with mine, how about you?

I'm going to put it in the Tower anyway...
Old 01 March 2010, 13:25   #40
Mick

Will hopefully be ordering mine tomorrow.

How come the built to order Amiga comes with 120GB HD but if you buy separately it's only 100GB? or would I be better off buying the 4GB compact flash?