English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 January 2016, 21:12   #1
daznic

Running WHDLoad games directly from PCMCIA

Well I am happy to say I now finally have my dream setup - A really nice clean A1200 with 4GB CF hard drive, registered WHDLoad, aca 1221 expansion and an Easy ADF PCMCIA kit. - also a Gotek which is now pretty much redundant.

Now I am enjoying transfering my WHDLoad collection from my Winuae setup on my PC to the real Amiga. I started transfering the WHDLoad games from the CF card in the PCMCIA adaptor to a partition on the Amiga Hard drive, then realised I could just run the games directly from the CF card in the adaptor, no need to transfer to the Amiga hard drive - this makes the games collection easier to manage between PC and Amiga.

So is there any disadvantage or potential issues with doing this ? - thought I could just have a few CF cards with different games collections on & plug & play
Old 07 January 2016, 21:29   #2
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

The disadvantage is slow loading times via PCMCIA-CF, especially for bigger WHDLoad games. Though smaller games like Turrican, Hybris, Giana Sisters etc. should work fine.
Old 08 January 2016, 08:37   #3
daznic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
The disadvantage is slow loading times via PCMCIA-CF, especially for bigger WHDLoad games. Though smaller games like Turrican, Hybris, Giana Sisters etc. should work fine.
That's good to know - thanks.
Everything I've tried so far works fine, just playing eye of the beholder now....If anything has slow down issues I'll move to the internal CF hard drive.
Old 08 January 2016, 18:17   #4
Superman

I have all games on the internal 4gb card and I have the Demos which wont fit on there on a 4gb card in the PCMIA slot.