English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 02 June 2015, 07:07   #1

Question getting my AGA Mark 2 to do full screen on 26" monitor

Hi everyone,

I was over at the amiga world forums and they directed me here, so I hope you might be able to share some insight.

I got the AGA Mark 2 video card for my Amiga 1200. I have hit hooked up to a Samsung 26" monitor. I'm not 100% sure the model, but this is very close if not identical here: http://digichar.com/unt/8260-samsung...elevision.html

the resolution is 1360 x 768 pixels and I'm trying to see if I can get the card to get this exact resolution.

Currently i'm using a 1280x400 resolution which does fill the screen nicely and no stretching or squishing, but I figure it would be nice to know if I can make it any crisper.

Also I get some artifacting at higher resolutions so this might be self defeating to achieve but maybe someone here knows if there are ways to keep that from happening. The fine folks over at Amigakit informed me that this is normal and I'm sure it's true. 9 out of 10 times its minor or even non existent.. but sometimes it can get kinda ugly. not sure exactly what makes it act up more.. seems kinda random..

Thanks!
Caleb

Old 02 June 2015, 12:23   #2
deling

you have to use radiator cooler for lisa chip and little cooler then artifact will be gone

Old 02 June 2015, 14:06   #3

@deling is there any information about this? the artifacting doesn't seem to differ over time... as in.. the hotter it gets the worse it gets.. but i can imagine that perhaps the chips just get hot in the first 15 seconds.

When I reported it to Amigakit their comment was "The artifacts sound like the gayle issue on some A1200's where higher resolutions would cause artifacts."

I'm not sure if that might offer any insight into the issue.

note that it doesn't happen with lower resolutions ever. Just the higher rez screens.

Old 03 June 2015, 03:13   #4
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 227 View Post
Hi everyone,

I was over at the amiga world forums and they directed me here, so I hope you might be able to share some insight.

I got the AGA Mark 2 video card for my Amiga 1200. I have hit hooked up to a Samsung 26" monitor. I'm not 100% sure the model, but this is very close if not identical here: http://digichar.com/unt/8260-samsung...elevision.html

the resolution is 1360 x 768 pixels and I'm trying to see if I can get the card to get this exact resolution.

Currently i'm using a 1280x400 resolution which does fill the screen nicely and no stretching or squishing, but I figure it would be nice to know if I can make it any crisper.
1360 x 768 is going to be a tricky resolution to run full screen although it may be possible with the config tool. You'll obviously end up with a stretched image if you go full screen because that's a wide-screen monitor (and it will look nasty). Better to go for a centered image with black borders and smooth 50Hz scrolling.

I use a 5:4 LCD monitor which works really well because it's 1280x1024 which is exactly 2 times PAL 640x512 or 4 times PAL 320x256

Quote:
Originally Posted by 227 View Post
Also I get some artifacting at higher resolutions so this might be self defeating to achieve but maybe someone here knows if there are ways to keep that from happening. The fine folks over at Amigakit informed me that this is normal and I'm sure it's true. 9 out of 10 times its minor or even non existent.. but sometimes it can get kinda ugly. not sure exactly what makes it act up more.. seems kinda random..
Probably not 'caused' by heat, just that the extra heat shows the underlying problem. Have a read of this long (but amusing) thread and see if it helps you..

Indy Flicker
Old 03 June 2015, 14:59   #5

Cool thanks, but help me understand something. the 1280x400 is full screen with no distortion or flicker and fills the screen. here is an example:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...o/IMG_6470.JPG

And the 720p resolution works nicely it just has the black boxes above and blow (which I would like to not see)

It would seem like the 720p could be made a 768(p?) setting?

I dabbled yesterday with the config tool and had a few scary moments with the settings so I'm reluctant to poke around much more without someone knowledgeable about it off some insight.

Old 03 June 2015, 15:53   #6
demolition
Unregistered User

There are some fixes regarding Lisa which could help with the corruption. It may not remove it completely as it may be a timing violation inside the Lisa chip. My C= has the gfx corruption resolutions above 800x600, however my Escom 1200 (with HP Lisa) has no issues even in 1280x1024.
I don't have a link for these fixes as I can't find it atm.. But surely it's out there somewhere. Notice that these fixes are not related to the fixes needed by some accelerators.
Old 03 June 2015, 18:23   #7

cool i'll keep an eye out for them. both of my 1200's are C= models