English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 01 January 2015, 19:26   #1
bugsymalone666
Amiga baby yeah!

My Amiga has become a bit flakey..!

So recently I have been playing with my amiga more and more, got an A590 for it which now has a 1gb HD, and was going to start installing workbench 2.1 and tons of games on it, when it became a little flakey.

So 12 months ago using instructions off the internet I built an adaptor which uses a raspberry pi to replace the existing floppy drive that had died, but also had an external diskette drive for using real disks. Its been working okish until recently where I have encountered a few issues:

Chip memory amount is intermittent - I soldered ram sockets on the motherboard in the spare gaps to replace a dead trapdoor expansion, using chips/caps from a section of Amiga bought on ebay and modding the solder pads built an inboard 1mb chipram expansion. Now initially this was fine but recently when I load workbench sometimes its 512k sometimes its 1 mb.

ability to read/format disks - now I am not 100% sure, I had a load of unused PC disks which have been stored in a disk box for years, all brand new that had driver software on so I thought I'll use those, but the Amiga would format some and others would have bad tracks even though they have never been used, I guess it could be the disks but still seemed a bit weird how lots of disks would fail at the same point.

Up until the last few weeks, my Raspberry Pi drive has been fine, I select the disk I want to load and thats what it does, now it seams to hang when loading as if the disk drive isnt working properly. I thought this may be a disk controller issue based on the issue above.

I tried swapping the CIA chips over as I understand they can be a probem, the 68k has been out of its socket recently and reseated, but I dont seem to be able to basically get the thing to work anymore which is annoying.

Any ideas?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 01 January 2015, 20:18   #2
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsymalone666 View Post
So recently I have been playing with my amiga more and more, got an A590 for it which now has a 1gb HD, and was going to start installing workbench 2.1 and tons of games on it, when it became a little flakey.

So 12 months ago using instructions off the internet I built an adaptor which uses a raspberry pi to replace the existing floppy drive that had died, but also had an external diskette drive for using real disks. Its been working okish until recently where I have encountered a few issues:

Chip memory amount is intermittent - I soldered ram sockets on the motherboard in the spare gaps to replace a dead trapdoor expansion, using chips/caps from a section of Amiga bought on ebay and modding the solder pads built an inboard 1mb chipram expansion. Now initially this was fine but recently when I load workbench sometimes its 512k sometimes its 1 mb.

ability to read/format disks - now I am not 100% sure, I had a load of unused PC disks which have been stored in a disk box for years, all brand new that had driver software on so I thought I'll use those, but the Amiga would format some and others would have bad tracks even though they have never been used, I guess it could be the disks but still seemed a bit weird how lots of disks would fail at the same point.

Up until the last few weeks, my Raspberry Pi drive has been fine, I select the disk I want to load and thats what it does, now it seams to hang when loading as if the disk drive isnt working properly. I thought this may be a disk controller issue based on the issue above.

I tried swapping the CIA chips over as I understand they can be a probem, the 68k has been out of its socket recently and reseated, but I dont seem to be able to basically get the thing to work anymore which is annoying.

Any ideas?
Whenever hardware acts up, it is always advisable to revert the Amiga to its default condition, remove all addons and put your original floppy driv back in to see if the problem remains, if all is well, add one addon at a time to see when the problem restarts.
Old 01 January 2015, 21:07   #3
bugsymalone666
Amiga baby yeah!

Well I'm thinking that it seems to be since the a590, so i removed that but its still flakey even though it was working before. Which is why i found it odd that with the RPI drive and memory its been fine for 12 months but now regardless it wont operate properly. My theory is it might be something to do with the RPI drive and i have contacted the guy who designed them to see if he has any ideas.

I just wondered if there are any other bits on amigas that cause them to act up for no particular reason.
Old 02 January 2015, 01:52   #4
Cymru

Question Your kidding, right?

These are 30 year old computers meant to last only a few years, so "Flakey" is the Amiga's bread and butter. The forums list everything for capacitors and power supplies down to software patches, brittle solder joints, and poor plug in connections; so start with as basic, unexpanded machine as possible (Amigakit sells new replacement floppy drives) and see if it is still unstable or "flakey."
Old 09 January 2015, 16:51   #5
bugsymalone666
Amiga baby yeah!

So randomly, I think it may have actually been corrupt data on my SD card for my Pi drive, or maybe power.

Either way it seems to be working now and even booting from the Hard drive!
Old 09 January 2015, 19:26   #6
Paul_s
needs more ice cream

can't beat old technology vs. new
Old 13 January 2015, 14:46   #7
bugsymalone666
Amiga baby yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
can't beat old technology vs. new
Somedays you cant! At least with the Amiga its built in such away you can resolder stuff!

I think the problem with my Raspberry Pi drive is it uses an SD card to store all the data, the thing with this is, it doesnt take to kindly to being powered off suddenly. The problem with the Amiga is there is no 'shutdown' just power off.

The guy who originally built the pi drive did a great job, but after this it has made me consider that an extra shutdown circuit is needed to stop future issues of this!
AdSense AdSense