English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 January 2014, 20:09   #1
tomead
tomead

Amga 500 Plus battery replacement

Hi I have recieved a 500 plus on ebay, and it is in really good condition. I checked the motherboard and the battery doesn't seem to have leaked yet (amazing really), and it still keeps time.
I will be cutting the battery off the board to save it from damage. I want to replace the battery but my soildering skills are known to be a disaster area, so won't be risking doing my self.
I am looking to getting the board re-capped as well. I know AmigaKit don't offer re-capping for A500, so I am wondering if anyone in the UK has the skills to do both for me.
Allready have a ACA500, and have a 1mb Chip ram expansion on the way to round out the system. Borrowing my ACA1231 from my A1200 at the moment, but will most likely b getting a new ACA for my A1200, and using the ACA1231 on the A500 plus.
Will i need a new power supply as well to carry the load?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 27 January 2014, 21:27   #2
jimbob

Amigakit would probably do this if you asked them. If not I can do this for you no problem. I have a small stock of all the required parts. Send me a PM to discuss further if you're interested.
Old 27 January 2014, 23:05   #3
demolition
Unregistered User

There is usually no need to recap 500/500+ motherboards. I've never seen one damaged due to leaking caps. Only the small aluminium electrolytic smd caps in the 600/1200/4000/CD32 causes problems. This is probably why AmigaKit doesn't offer this service.
Old 27 January 2014, 23:14   #4
kipper2k

I've seen the 2 main power caps bad before but all the other cans appear to be good
Old 28 January 2014, 00:32   #5
jimbob

What the other guys say is true. A recap isn't usually essential maintenance for 500 types the way it is for 600/1200.

I think it's worth doing given the age of these machines, to prevent possible trouble down the road. (faults/performance trouble that is, not board eating trouble, as mentioned these cans do not tend to leak).

It's up to you but if it works the only thing you must do is remove the battery and clean up any mess it left.
Old 28 January 2014, 03:40   #6
kipper2k

If you want to replace your battery don't solder the replacement to the mothrboard, you can just connect 2 wires from the battery to the motherboard and tuck it out of the way
Old 10 January 2015, 18:43   #7
Photon

What kipper2k said is great general practice for the NiCd plastic-wrapped cell packages that start leaking. I don't recommend getting these, but a common CR2032 coin cell that you can buy in any home electronics shop. Amigakit has both types, and a neat holder for the coin cell type so you can easily swap it after a few years.

Plenty of A500+ motherboards have been destroyed by the NiCd packages. It can even affect A500s via memory expansions with clock that have this battery.

The small metal electrolytics in A600 and forward were just a matter of ordering low quality components at the time. C= probably didn't know they would fail so quickly, or the seller didn't.

That said, if I were to swap them, I'd use ordinary electrolytics since they have such an outstanding industrial track record. They last for decades. But at one point of course, they too will start to fail, in all electronics including the A500. The ones in the PSU and for the motherboard power, at least. For the low voltage and tiny currents in the digital circuitry I think they will easily last a lifetime.

Last edited by Photon; 11 January 2015 at 23:34.
Old 11 January 2015, 05:26   #8
TjLaZer

Don't you mean NiCad Photon?
Old 11 January 2015, 11:34   #9
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
The originals are NiCd, yes.. NiMH wasn't a thing yet when these were made. :-)

I've been replacing mine with NiMH, let's see when the first ones start to leak. :-)
Old 11 January 2015, 23:34   #10
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
Don't you mean NiCad Photon?
I did mean the original ones (even if NiMh also start leaking). I've corrected the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
The originals are NiCd, yes.. NiMH wasn't a thing yet when these were made. :-)

I've been replacing mine with NiMH, let's see when the first ones start to leak. :-)
I got 3 years from the NiMh batteries in my IP phone at work before they started leaking. From what I've read it's accelerated by the number of recharges, so if you turn on your Amiga 3-4 times, 5 days a week it could be somewhere in that neighborhood, else longer.

Another thing is detecting the leak when it starts. In my phone, I noticed it instantly when the phone shut down when I lifted it out of the charger If you create files on your Amiga and use file modified dates often, you might notice the dates being off. But if the usage is "general use" you might not notice it until long after, that's the difference. If you use Workbench mostly and have the clock displayed, there will be no difference of course. (Well, the Amiga will still function, so if the Amiga is sold to someone who doesn't know/care the leak will go undetected.)

When I googled for the various types of batteries I also found out on Wikipedia that my favorite CR2032 is lethal if swallowed, so they should be stored safely away from children. A lot of people don't know that fact I think, well I didn't anyway.

Last edited by Photon; 12 January 2015 at 00:12.
AdSense AdSense