English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 April 2005, 14:42   #1
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Write of disks on Catweasel MKIV

Hello to all. Just registered to post some question i have regarding the MKIV.
I have installed it and setup it the driver properly on my xp professional box.
When I try to write a adf back to disk, when i push the write button on the catweasel image tool, the first time it won´t write it properly, so pushing a second time on the write button and the disk will write perfectly. The same about reading back real disks to adf file. have emailed jens and told me that this problem had been reported from various customers and it is related to the diskimage tool, but i am posting here if anyone on this board has encountered similar problems.
I have been writing back adfs to disks for my 500 and i am enjoying this card so much, but solving this problem would be better.
Thanks in advance!!
Old 20 April 2005, 10:27   #2
tin

I have exactly the same issue and Jens does say it's a bug in the tool. I find you can press write, then cancel, then write again to ensure it's OK, so you don't have to wait for the first write.

Also if you look and listen for the first writing not going correctly (progress bar shoots up while disk doesn't clunk) then you can tell if the write has not worked first time or not.
Old 20 April 2005, 15:18   #3
BippyM
Global Moderator

On a side note (and maybe this should go in that Huuuuggee Catweasel thread) is it really worth the money?

What can it actually do or not do?
Old 21 April 2005, 01:05   #4
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Thanks for the replies. I do the same tricks to get the disks written tin!(i thought mine possibly could be a broken card), but now i know that is a bug in the image tool.
The two tricks works fine for me!

Bippim, the card really is worth the money, i has allowed me to write back to disk my favourite games for my 500, and when the image tool got fixed it would be better!, and it´s a fpga, so a new hardware update could be done via software(i think this option is really interesting in comparation eith the mk3).
See ya and thanks for the replies!!!
Old 22 April 2005, 19:41   #5
tin

Hmmm. I would say it is worth the money cos I can now download millions of C64 .d64s and write them onto disks. Before now I had no way of doing that.

Nothing else seems to work properly yet. I am intested in having a SID mounted in my PC, and using amiga joystics in emulators, and also I expected to be able to write disks for e.g. Electron etc, but the software won't handle it. So I am a lot dissapointed with that. Using amiga keyboard on the PC might be novelty and might be worth a punt if the cat is supported in future (upgrade ;-)) amithlon, but AFAIK there's none of that sort of thing just yet.

But for some reason I still think it's worth the £90 it cost me!!!
Old 23 April 2005, 03:26   #6
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

I want too the other systems support, as the nintendo disk drive, for example.
Still waiting.
Old 29 April 2005, 14:00   #7
Dwyloc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin
I am intested in having a SID mounted in my PC, and using amiga joystics in emulators, and also I expected to be able to write disks for e.g. Electron etc, but the software won't handle it.
But for some reason I still think it's worth the £90 it cost me!!!
The linux driver for the joystick ports have now been released so I am hopefull that I will be able to give them a try with E-UAE while I am waiting no the Windows drivers.

As I just received my card yesterday I have not yet had time to use it much so far.

I have just created adf disk images from my original DPaint and WordsWorth disk under Windows XP both of which worked first time.

I have also ordered a second hand C64 to get the SID chip out of but I am still waiting on that arriving so I can’t comment on how well that works.

I also plan to use it to transfer downloaded games from back2roots back to floppy to play on a friends old A600.

I am a bit disappointed that I cant use the joystick ports under windows with WinUAE at this stage but the progress report for the next version sounds promising.

But at this stage I still feel the money I spent on the card is money well spent.
Old 29 April 2005, 15:15   #8
Firthy2002
2nd era...

Send a message via ICQ to Firthy2002 Send a message via AIM to Firthy2002 Send a message via MSN to Firthy2002 Send a message via Yahoo to Firthy2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwyloc
I have also ordered a second hand C64 to get the SID chip out of but I am still waiting on that arriving so I can’t comment on how well that works.
Not a working one I hope.
Old 29 April 2005, 15:30   #9
Dwyloc

It dose not have a PSU (as it failed), and the keyboard is apparently a bit dodgy but as I only want one chip out of it, it soot’s my purpose just fine.

Although I admit as the keyboard problem is said to be intermittent it may just be a louse connection, but as I am just removing a socked chip I am hardly damaging it beyond later repair if this is the case.
Old 14 December 2005, 20:40   #10
THX1138
Amiga Centurai

I have just purchased a Catweasel Mk IV,and i aslo has to press the "write" button twice to create a successfull .adf image on disk !

Was just wondering if there is a newer version of the ImageTool to solve this problem ?
Old 14 December 2005, 22:00   #11
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
yeah crappy

No, there`s no updated drivers as yet.. keep an eye here http://siliconsonic.de/t/bin/

Someone said that Jens said the new drivers are in beta atm..
but that was about 2-3 weeks ago now
Old 15 December 2005, 04:11   #12
Avanze
Amiga User

Such a travesty that the support of the excellent Catweasel MK4 card is downright dreadful.
Old 15 December 2005, 08:42   #13
stainy
Zone Friend

Yes
Old 15 December 2005, 11:56   #14
xalakibaniou

@ThEcRoW
I do encounter the same problem both writing and reading adf files. I have e-mails jens and the answer was that it is a bug in the imagetools. I am looking forward for the updated drivers and more & more formats to be supported.
Old 15 December 2005, 12:58   #15
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Yeah, hope they fix the diskimage tool soon, and, of course add some formats to the card such as the nintendo disk drive, amstrad floppies etc... Those are systems that i own and i would want to revive old experiences with freshly writed new disks for them hehe.
Checked yesterday the page if new drivers appeared but nothing there.
We need the drivers Jens!!!!!!!
Old 15 December 2005, 20:05   #16
stainy
Zone Friend

haha I check the damn thing every day
Old 15 December 2005, 20:13   #17
stainy
Zone Friend

You guys that hit write/cancel/write to image the floppies.. how quickly or slowly do you do it ? I have tried lots of times.. and I have made 2 disks so far!!!!!!!
Tried hitting cancel then write again, straight afterwards... other times hitting cancel when you see plenty of blue ( transfer status ) still no good should I try another pc floppy drive you think ?
Old 18 December 2005, 19:56   #18
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Im gutted you guys are getting trouble like this! I have since moved my catweasel into another pc and got worried about the prospect of this disk issue cropping up. So far everythings ok, even writing back to disk is ok (thank f**k)

Im still having issues with re-boots and the odd occasion when the drivers vanish, Im also gutted about the lack of disk formats this thing can do!
Old 18 December 2005, 21:13   #19
stainy
Zone Friend

Yeah reboots are a pain.. just before windows appears, it reboots.. every other reboot for me more or less!!
Thinking about trying another floppy or something
Old 02 January 2006, 11:35   #20
stainy
Zone Friend

Where`s these drivers then Jens?