English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware pics

Old 14 April 2019, 17:17   #1
RomanCro

Amiga 1200 restoration

Hello, here is my A1200 which i found in my garage. I hope to restore it with your help and guidiance. Heres what i have found.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 15 April 2019, 01:31   #2
Nightshft

Nice! The one I bought last year had 3 broken keys and a problem with ejecting disks. I repaired the keyboard (replaced the membrane and some plastic stalks) and the drive (replaced a spring). Works like a charm now. Hope yours works or you can fix it. Cheers.
Old 15 April 2019, 03:30   #3
DofD

Nice! Looks far better off than many I've seen. It looks like there are a few expansion things going on there.
Old 15 April 2019, 08:26   #4
theq
Registerdeaded abUser

Great! Another storage zombie coming back to life.

I'd strongly recommend a recap. It being in a cupboard or not will most definitely not stop the electrolyte capacitors from leaking. And as they most certainly do, the electrolytic fluid is corrosive and will damage your motherboard over time.
The longer you wait, the more pain to get it fixed.

When it comes to the aesthetically aspect of it, "retrobrighting" will make it look like it once did, but only temporarily. It will also make the plastic more brittle and prone to damage in the long run. So wouldn't recommend it except if you stick it in a room where it won't be exposed to daylight ever again.

Or you can just buy a new case and keycaps for it. Which will cost you a fortune. But hey! Hobbies aren't suppose to be cheap.
Old 15 April 2019, 11:12   #5
RomanCro

Thanx guys for your support.
There is Blizzard expansion card, yet to see which one.
Also external HD and CD rom. Up then i was proud to install it by my self.
Should i start tu run it as it is, or should i change capacytors without even trying fireing it up?

Old 15 April 2019, 12:44   #6
theq
Registerdeaded abUser

In most of the cases it wouldn't be any problems powering on the system. But seeing it is an original Commodore A1200 the likelihood of there being leakage is high.

So I'd continue with caution. Maybe checking around the capacitors for an oil like blank/greenish substance. Can be very hard to see without a microscope, so use a strong light source.

In any case, use a anti-static strap while handling your motherboard. Static electricity is real!
Old 15 April 2019, 13:55   #7
RomanCro

Quote:
Originally Posted by theq View Post
In most of the cases it wouldn't be any problems powering on the system. But seeing it is an original Commodore A1200 the likelihood of there being leakage is high.

So I'd continue with caution. Maybe checking around the capacitors for an oil like blank/greenish substance. Can be very hard to see without a microscope, so use a strong light source.

In any case, use a anti-static strap while handling your motherboard. Static electricity is real!
Thanx. Back then i did my own archive with .dms program. Basicly it saves floppy disk image to HD. Then I butnd all thet archives to 7-8 CDs.
So when i wanted to play some game, i used virtual drive, and mount all the disk to df1, df1. And play it from HD without having to burn games to floppy. I wonder if my arhives on Cd are still working?