English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 31 December 2011, 12:39   #141
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Still over my head but thank you Sir
Just a relative thing. Imagine you have a piece of recording tape. You run it at 1cm/s, and you have 60cm, so you can record 60 seconds of music. Let's say what's important for us is the drums and we want to count how many times the snare has been hit. Let's say the drummer hits the snare once a second. Record at regular speed and you get... 60 snares!

Now record more than 60 seconds onto it! Simply change the recording speed, make the tape run at 0.5cm/s. You can now record two minutes of audio, thus 120 snare drum hits instead of 60. Playing it back at regular speed will play it pitched, with a doubled frequency. But you still get 120 snare drums - played back within 60 secs.

This is how long tracks can be recorded by slowing a drive. But you change pitch, and you change recording coercivity which is... troublesome.

With a mastering device, e.g. a KryoFlux or a Trace machine (as used back in the 80s), you just get a better drummer and make him drum at double speed. You record with the same tape speed, which means your pitch is the same and the strength of the recording field also remains intact.

Was that a good analogy?

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Quote mr.vince about Kyroflux: "This is not a hardware copier", now you make it sound like it *IS*
Easy to explain. A hardware copier bangs all data read from the internal drive to the external one. It usually does that without any modification, so you get an analogue copy. Copies degrade over generations, missing precompensation will make inner tracks very prone to errors. Still you just pop in two disks and then give it a try. Protections that are based on ambiguity (e.g. weak bits) fail.

KryoFlux is a high definition flux sampler. Data gets analysed afterwards, by users or by SPS. Then an image containing all mastering data is generated. Such image can be written with ease (but is a byproduct of what we made it for - preservation), as KryoFlux can freely adjust everything, it's a hardware made 30 years later. Yet it's not intended to be a hardware copier. You don't put in two disks and push copy. Although Keir (see our dev forum) has made a first effort to implement such thing, still with an intermediate IPF. But this is not our intention or our effor, nor do we want to market it as such. Although floppy disks are obsolete and usually exempt from restrictions, e.g. the DMCA, this is not our cup of tea.

Last edited by mr.vince; 31 December 2011 at 12:47.
Old 31 December 2011, 22:45   #142
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.vince
This message has been deleted by mr.vince. Reason: back to back posts merged by me!
Old 01 January 2012, 09:46   #143
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.vince View Post
Was that a good analogy?
Nicely explained - Thank you

Ok I think I see where theres been some confusion, the SPS team have a passion for preservation creating a machine that can accurately preserve the floppy and also write that floppy accurately.

Some have only been intrested in just copying I think you understand because of your involvement with X-Copy.

KryoFlux is a better option

however playing/trying on the Amiga is fun, if not so accurate
Im not disregarding KryoFlux but curious about how I can write using the Amiga the best that is possible.

Will I be able to tell the difference between a user created IPF and an IPF created and studied by the SPS team?

Good luck with your goals SPS team and Happy New Year!
Old 01 January 2012, 12:16   #144
MrCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Will I be able to tell the difference between a user created IPF and an IPF created and studied by the SPS team?
At the moment yes.
Old 01 January 2012, 12:49   #145
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Always. We will deliver hashes for our releases (maybe built straight into the dll) and sign new ones.

This was the main reason IPF source was closed for so long so we had the time to think about this...
Old 02 January 2012, 16:52   #146
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.vince View Post
Always. We will deliver hashes for our releases (maybe built straight into the dll) and sign new ones.
Excellent!
Old 10 January 2014, 12:29   #147
ozymandias

Hi all,
anyone has the Powercopy Parameters disk?
The author says: "The latest parameters disk is dated the 17-Sep-96 and has 496 parameters."

Thanks!
Old 16 January 2014, 15:57   #148
emufan

you can find this disk on the eab file server using the search facility
PowerCopy307a_Parameters0996.lzx: file datstamp fits and so does the number of files

edit:
i zoned PowerCopy Pro 3.07a by StingRay.

Last edited by emufan; 16 January 2014 at 18:48. Reason: made a mistake!? ... twice :D
Old 16 January 2014, 18:36   #149
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
the one by galahad is faulty (i tested it, better remove it), the only one working is the one cracked by stingray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozymandias View Post
Hi all,
anyone has the Powercopy Parameters disk?
The author says: "The latest parameters disk is dated the 17-Sep-96 and has 496 parameters."

Thanks!
is there any specific game you want the parameter file for ?

Last edited by TCD; 16 January 2014 at 18:39. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged
Old 16 January 2014, 18:45   #150
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
the one by galahad is faulty (i tested it, better remove it), the only one working is the one cracked by stingray.
holy cr**, damn - now 1 out of 3 ( had to remove one already ) - definitely not my day
Old 17 January 2014, 18:02   #151
CFou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
holy cr**, damn - now 1 out of 3 ( had to remove one already ) - definitely not my day

Old 18 January 2014, 23:14   #152
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOU! View Post
one of these days ...
Old 19 January 2014, 12:14   #153
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

guys, i made parameters file for games that are not in the latest official DMS file for powercopy. Just ask (i have Carcharodon White Shark for instance, and many others )
Old 19 January 2014, 17:45   #154
Carlos Ace

Send a message via ICQ to Carlos Ace
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
guys, i made parameters file for games that are not in the latest official DMS file for powercopy. Just ask (i have Carcharodon White Shark for instance, and many others )
Can you upload it to the Zone, please ?
Thanx in advance.
Old 19 January 2014, 22:25   #155
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

there are many files, and it's not in the DMS parameters file.
Old 20 January 2014, 11:44   #156
Wiking67
Blowing Out The Flame

Send a message via MSN to Wiking67
Would be nice
Old 30 January 2014, 10:50   #157
ufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoniac View Post
I'm pretty sure Marauder II does not copy Dragon's Lair. I purchased Marauder II and ended up buying Dragon's Lair.
Dragon's Lair was a strange one.

I remember having 2 originals of it to play around with.

One of these, would copy and work successfully up to around the 4th level (I think you were trapped in a cabin or something?) then the game would crash.

The other version when copied, could not even get past the title screen, then it would crash.

The disks, boxes, manuals etc were all the same.

But the disks/versions could not be mixed to create a working copy.

So were there different releases of the game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Adan View Post
Some years ago I found copier for Dragon's Lair original disks (longtracks if I remember right), due I don't have original disks I can't check this copier, but it slowdown Amiga drive for longtracks writing. Maybe it was called Marauder II, but I'm not sure.
Did you play the copy the entire way through to the end to check how successful it was a la what I mentioned above?

Last edited by ufo; 30 January 2014 at 11:38.
Old 24 May 2023, 03:22   #158
Picard

Interesting program.I think i succesfully copied "James Pond" original disk.I wish i could find copies of original disks of games "Lotus 2" and "Epic", those disks of mine are broken