English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 05 June 2005, 14:10   #1
RCK
Administrator

[EAB] Moderators wiped

Dear community,

I think it's time to have something new over the moderation system at EAB. Current moderator team have stopped working since months (expect akira - even if he's sometimes extreme). But worst, people who became mods stopped to be 'members', and stopped to use the board for it's first goal: share Amiga knowledge and resources.

Consequently, I have decided to clean up current moderation team.
I don't know how the moderation system will evolve.

EAB has been launched 4 years ago, I would like you (every people who are using this board), tell me what did you like and what you didn't like about our past moderation concept. (and I don't want to see "I hate XXX" here - use your ignore list for that )
Your opinion may help to find something better

Current global moderators team was:
- Akira
- CodyJarrett
- bippym
- Paul
- Peanutuk
- RetroMan

Note: All local moderators will keep their power. http://eab.abime.net/showgroups.php
Old 05 June 2005, 15:18   #2
Bloodwych

I'll gladly help out, but as I've already pointed out to Akira I have very little free time due to my current job. Damn I wish I was still a student!

In other words, I'm usually only on the board for a few hours each weekend and a spare few minutes here and there during the week. I know you expect a certain level of dedication and attendance here to be a mod so I'm not sure that's enough?? If you're short staffed, I can certainly take a part time role.
Old 05 June 2005, 15:23   #3
BippyM

I actually do moderate and I do use the forum..

Recently there hasn't been alot of discussion I want to join in with.. I visit every day, sometimes 3-4 times per day. I read all the threads and if I feel something is worth replying to or contributing to then I will do. If on the other hand I feel a thread needs moderating then I will either moderate or discuss it with the other mods.
Old 05 June 2005, 18:21   #4
oldpx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_of...tten_Realms%29

Old 05 June 2005, 21:41   #5
Peanutuk

I have an odd sense of deja-vu
Old 05 June 2005, 21:54   #6
Bloodwych

I've just noticed Paul the Green Amiga Alien has been wiped out of existence!

Did he request to leave?

I'll miss his fun avatars.
Old 05 June 2005, 22:51   #7
Marcuz
Wurk???

i often disagree with this or that single action or comment by this or that moderator, but they are just that, single actions. i'm kinda ok with the mods and their way, it doesn't bother me at all the straight way of Akira (here mentioned not because i want to point one, but as a particular way to moderate) nor the other way, let's say PeanutUK.
the one you keep are good; i do agree that some moderator has kinda stopped to be a user and that the board, except for threads being closed has not been moderate much lately. so if the work is not too much for them, i'm very positive to keep few mods and not to spin the duty around. is each of the active one interested? i mean seein Bippym reaction it does not seem that you have talk to them about the decision and so that they may not agree that they have been eventualy lazy.
so to me, it's more like they are called to either confirm they have time and interest or to maybe pass or have a break. only in the second case we would have a problem.

there is actually a thing i really distasted in the moderator course, too often i see completely undue and disagreable comments by bystanders on issues, either in the case of newbies, wich eventual reprisals are work of moderators only to me, or in case of personal disagreement between 2 people that even when pacate or childish often gets fatter because of third people judgements.

Last edited by Marcuz; 05 June 2005 at 23:07.
Old 05 June 2005, 22:59   #8
oldpx

I hope Paul has not left and will return as a mod once again.

Old 05 June 2005, 23:54   #9
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych
I've just noticed Paul the Green Amiga Alien has been wiped out of existence!
Paul's account have been warped in alternate dimension by mistake - I will restored it.
About Paul, unfortunatly he's not able to join us at the moment, he got some real life problems and web is far away from him.
Old 06 June 2005, 00:03   #10
Bloodwych

Ok Rck - them damn pesky alternate dimensions!

pxscroll I agree - all the best to you Paul and I hope you an join us again soon.
Old 06 June 2005, 05:38   #11
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Unhappy

No time to really add a quality comment to a serious thread, but just wanted to add to the well-wishes of our fave EAB alien. Lots of luck with the real-life issues & hopefully they sort themselves out for the best, Paul.
Old 06 June 2005, 06:54   #12
woody57

Question Globbal Moderators & Elections

Good moderating is like good parenting sometimes decisions have to be made that are unpopular BUT needed to stop bickering,misinformation & chaos .

There is no doubt individual moderators of specific forums find it easier to cover areas that are within their own field of interest , But Globbal moderating is much more difficult as the number of daily news posts & replies in here Appears to be on the rise when compared to twelve months ago .

I can certainly see Bloodwych's VERY important point that for those who have a full time job & family commitments etc , that the prospect of having to find the time to read through all posts is to the honest man a bit of a daunting promise to make when agreeing to the position .

Then as is becoming increasingly obvious many who have been staunch supporters of both this board & Amiga / retro gaming as a whole are moving on with their own projects & diverse interests . There is certainly nothing wrong with that as individual growth is a part of life.

This is a logistics problem , the Archives of the EAB contains the answers to Aproximately 90% of the ON TOPIC non-subjective new posts on this board , However the majority of new posts are NOT really questions or "Where Do I find ? " queries and this it seems is what is creating the handling difficulties

When a post is subjective or ambiguous in its nature it becomes a genuine problem , this is not just limited to "newbie's" as I myself am often guilty of making impossible to interpret postings, which at the time of writting made sense to me but NOT when viewed from a fresh perspective .

ALL of my above points show just HOW DIFFICULT a job the globbal moderators have been coping with & it is no wonder that some are understandably tired by it.

Last year a suguestion of Elections was made ,yet the truth is it takes more than temporary popularity to do a long term good job, so in fact what we are left with are RCK's track proven judgement to select individual's on a "Trial Basis " and judge their performance over a period of 6-12 weeks.

Now obviously this means they would be given Target areas to concentrate rather than thinking they need to be everywhere and maybe in that way their individual postings would NOT decline as much as RCK has already expressed.

The above is merely opinion & as such is just my conciderations of RCK's question.
Old 06 June 2005, 11:31   #13
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Moderation is always best when it is "invisible"..... my only query right now with EAB is whether you wish to allow business to be conducted via a non-commercial board? You'll know what I mean!!!
Old 06 June 2005, 12:04   #14
Slayer
Amiga Member

I personally think to mod efficently you need solid guidelines, keeping in theme or just direct rules, not open to personal interpretation...

anything else falls into general conduct where some discretion can be utilised...

overall I feel there isn't really any guidelines here at all and the board either has to come into line or the name should be changed...

I'm a mod at other forums and it is quite easy to just do the business and not get personally involved...

I'll probably get jumped all over and prompted for some clearer definitions of what I am suggesting but frankly I'm not interested in explaining myself that far...

You either know what I am talking about or you're blind to it for whatever reason...

usually the answer is quite simple...

good to see you acting with some direction RCK

EAB 4eva or E*B can start...

I don't participate no where near as I would like since I don't like the way the general community sees the Amiga... like I said, change the name or come into line...
Old 06 June 2005, 12:19   #15
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

I never really thought there was a problem
Old 06 June 2005, 13:08   #16
woody57

Question No Disrespect intended Methanoid

But are you refering to the recent increase in FOR SALE threads that seem to be springing up ?
Or is it a reference to a rumoured whisper that the board may need eiether paid advertisments or PAYPAL type donations to keep it alive ?

If its the first , then I personally have already been questioning it in thread, maybe NOT as tactfully as I should BUT it is begining to annoy my visits here....thats just an opinion and is as dismissable as other suguestions that the next APOV should have a "Downloadable Cover Disk "

However the rumour of adverts & sponsership is merely my insane ramblings [again] unless you know different & can enlighten us ? PLEASE
Old 06 June 2005, 13:32   #17
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodshed57
But are you refering to the recent increase in FOR SALE threads that seem to be springing up ?
Or is it a reference to a rumoured whisper that the board may need eiether paid advertisments or PAYPAL type donations to keep it alive ?

If its the first , then I personally have already been questioning it in thread, maybe NOT as tactfully as I should BUT it is begining to annoy my visits here....thats just an opinion and is as dismissable as other suguestions that the next APOV should have a "Downloadable Cover Disk "

However the rumour of adverts & sponsership is merely my insane ramblings [again] unless you know different & can enlighten us ? PLEASE
Yes, the rapid rise in FS threads originating from a single country!
Old 07 June 2005, 00:21   #18
RetroMan

Well, I allways tried my best to moderate this forum and to be a helping hand .....

I´ve indeed been busy in my real life in the moment but I did not stop moderating or being a user
Old 15 June 2005, 20:45   #19
Freckle
I like hats

Location: I fell down the stairs and bumped my head, so I am kind of half-in, half-out of the broom cupboard
I think that although maybe sometimes moderators can be a little heavy handed at the end of the day they tidied up any problems pretty efficiently, and anyone posting a bunch of crap was usually swiftly dealt with.

By removing the global moderators there is a situation now where areas of the board are being left completely unguarded, and potentially damaging threads such as http://http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=18969 in the off topic sections can be posted without anyone sensible able to remove them. This would have been quickly dealt with in the past, but now although people that were moderators in the past have seen and commented in the past no-one has the power to remove the thread or the link therein.

RCK, you seem to be the only person at the moment that has the power to moderate such sections of the board as the off-topic (which is possibly the section most likely to generate trouble as far a I can see) but to be honest I don't think you are around often enough to moderate the entire board effectively, so I hope that ou are able to sort the moderation problem out swiftly, because although it may not have been perfect in the past it was better than the present nothing.
Old 15 June 2005, 21:05   #20
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Or deal with the business dealings in Marketplace