English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 26 July 2008, 16:05   #1
Bloodwych

ClassicWB Packs are Offline until further notice

Due to an oversight on my part, the ClassicWB packs we’re reported to contain kickstart files required for full WHDLoad games compatibility here:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=24853

This is clearly a violation of EAB rules, so the packs have been removed until further notice.

Once this problem has been resolved, you will require a full set of kickstarts as well as Workbench disks in order to use WHDLoad and the ClassicWB. I'll have to write a new guide as to how to do this.

Most people won’t have these, so will need to visit Amiga Forever and purchase a legal set:

http://www.amigaforever.com/

Thanks for everyone’s past support. I don’t know when I’ll have time to get these back up, so don’t ask! When it happens, it happens.
Old 26 July 2008, 16:38   #2
keropi

bummer
Old 26 July 2008, 18:07   #3
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

!? >:[

i wonder whom reported..... .... this really is arse news indeed....

@Bloodwych

my friend, if its just patch Files i can help you host it
Old 26 July 2008, 18:28   #4
Bloodwych

Thanks for the offer Zetro, but now the cats out the bag the packs will have to be changed for the worse I'm afraid.

The report was made in that thread linked in the opening post.

There can be no arguments - EAB rules and legal issues state those files can't be included.

Many of us don't like the situation that we still have to pay to enjoy a 16 year old machine, but we are powerless to change anything. Rights were legally purchased to sell those files and that is the law.

I'll just write another install routine and update the webpage when I have time. It's just going to mean a little more hassle for the end user that's all.
Old 26 July 2008, 18:33   #5
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
i wonder whom reported.....
It wasn't so much reported as pointed out by Visper. A case of the squeaky wheel getting the grease.
Old 26 July 2008, 18:57   #6
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklinger View Post
It wasn't so much reported as pointed out by Visper. A case of the squeaky wheel getting the grease.
Well, the hypocrisy was there to be pointed out by someone eventually. Mods removing links to those files on EAB, but the ClassicWB packs having them sat there unreported on a HDF!

Many must have bit their tongues!
Old 26 July 2008, 19:12   #7
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
Tis a shame for sure as your (Bloodwych) are a well respected addition to the modern amiga scene.

hope you find a solution to this soon, for now all my good will from my pond to you
( its the stray cats again, ti`s summer and they like to wander)
Old 26 July 2008, 19:39   #8
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
hope you find a solution to this soon
They'll be back, along with the long awaited OS39 release. Thankfully, there are other great packs available that I've linked on my webpage to fill the void.

I think AmigaSYS is close to releasing another real Amiga pack, so it's not as if users don't have options.

It's just come at a bad time as I can't dedicate resources to finish/change them at the moment.
Old 26 July 2008, 21:36   #9
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
Well, the hypocrisy was there to be pointed out by someone eventually.
Hypocrisy is such an ugly word. I'd rather think of it as an oversight on the part of some hard working and well intentioned people.

Quote:
Many must have bit their tongues!
Yeah, that's what I was thinking when I made the comment about the squeaky wheel...
Old 26 July 2008, 23:16   #10
Graham Humphrey

It could just be that it passed everyone by. I've got three ClassicWB installs here I use for various purposes (not very often I have to say; I generally use my real A1200) and I never ever noticed the Kickstart files until Visper pointed it out. To be fair I think you'd have to be looking for them to find them.

All I can say is well spotted Visper
Old 26 July 2008, 23:27   #11
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
It could just be that it passed everyone by. I've got three ClassicWB installs here I use for various purposes (not very often I have to say; I generally use my real A1200) and I never ever noticed the Kickstart files until Visper pointed it out. To be fair I think you'd have to be looking for them to find them.

All I can say is well spotted Visper
Well if you would have used WHDLoad with ClassicWB you should have spotted that Well I guess it was a consensus of silence until now, but hey like everybody said it was just a matter time
Old 27 July 2008, 01:37   #12
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

It was clearly an oversight by mr B. who is certainly an asset to the EAB crowd. The guy is a legend and without him and his packs I would be a hell of a lot more stressed than I am now!!!! ClassicWB is awesome and I will be very happy once it returns!
Old 27 July 2008, 11:06   #13
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
It was clearly an oversight by mr B. who is certainly an asset to the EAB crowd. The guy is a legend and without him and his packs I would be a hell of a lot more stressed than I am now!!!! ClassicWB is awesome and I will be very happy once it returns!

Totally agree Bloodwych is hard working & has contributed so much, this is defnitely a genuine error knowing the guy's reputation, As for my part I agree with cyberdruid as I fall under the consensus of silence, I knew they were there from my first CWB install, It's just as a few people have said, For Gods sake we own the original ROMS (well Ido) & KS 1.3 is how old now????

My personal opinion, right or wrong, Is one person has made a lot of work for everyone now esp Bloodwych and i feel it was done in a very childish manner.

I am also not going to argue with anyone about my comments here I've said what I had to say, end of no more input from me.

TC
Old 27 July 2008, 11:32   #14
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Don't get me wrong I never meant to disrespect Bloodwych. He doing a great job with ClassicWB. I just said that someone would have noticed that the files are already there when setting up WHDLoad.
Old 27 July 2008, 12:21   #15
Bloodwych

Thanks for the support!

I'm the one accountable here so let's just leave it at that and move on. Silence was golden, but voices can also be heard and it was only a matter of time before my error came to light.

I don't want anyone to think I'm throwing my toys out the pram by taking the packs offline. It will just take a little time to get everything re-organised.

My contribution is only a minor part to the whole Amiga scene. I do very little, especially these days, compared to a lot of guys out there (Toni for example), but appreciate the comments.

If anyone is desperate for a pack, pm me and I'm sure we can work something out (as long as you have the required files)
Old 27 July 2008, 12:33   #16
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
I already have the files needed for whdload in a separate pack I made for myself. putting them inside a CWB install would be a breeze. I think most users know how to handle this kind of thing so you don't have to bother with a script or something at all. Just keeping the directory under the devs: would be fine (I always confuse if it should be named kickstart or kickstarts)
Old 27 July 2008, 12:50   #17
Bloodwych

I agree coze, regular Amiga users and forum members will have no issues, but most people who download the packs are clueless and too time constrained to solve problems.

So for the public release packs, I'll need a better guide and install routine or the same questions are going to popup time and time again about WHDLoad games not working.
Old 15 August 2008, 13:30   #18
EreWeGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
My contribution is only a minor part to the whole Amiga scene.
...Don't underestimate how much your work has helped Bloodwych - I browsed many a forum, and read many a FAQ messing about to get my A1200 setup with a CF for a hard drive - and your ClassicWB packs were a Godsend, so thanks for your work!

I'm very dissapointed you had to take your packs down, but understand of course, although it's a shame we can't just download them without the "offending files", as most people would figure the rest out.

I was actually just about to setup a new CF card tonight, as I wanted to start another install from a basic setup, and only found out the news when I went to download the ClassicWB Lite pack, (I can't find my original download, doh!).

Anyway, guess I'll have to wait, just wanted to say sorry about the hassles this has probably created for you, and thanks again from one of your supporters!

Old 15 August 2008, 18:07   #19
Anemos
70X7

(hope to unterstud my english..)
The CWb emanated from adoration Amiga.
If we did not exist we the (300 crazy persons), the name Amiga would have been eliminated.
The laws should exist, I agree.
It is not all profit in this life.
Old 16 August 2008, 01:03   #20
Adropac2
Zone Friend

CLassicWB is an essential for me and is the very thing that got me into WHDload

Great work that's very much appreciated here