English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 25 July 2015, 19:48   #1
Yoji

ACAtune software not as good/well documented as it should be?

I recently got an ACA1233/40 128MB card and very happy with it.

But tried set up the config in the startup-sequence and had trouble. I had the command like all examples I could find on google, e.g something like:

ACATune -maprom * -cache on -burst on -slowpcmcaia off >NIL:

(etc - you get the gist)

I had 2 problems.. 1 excusable - the other - less so. But perhaps I doing something wrong?

First issue
Turns out I was doing a soft reboot - so on startup the maprom command failed (saying it already in place) and so NO SUBSEQUENT COMMANDS EXECUTED!!! - this is bad as the maprom seems to survive a soft reboot - but no other commands do - so they need be executed at each reboot.
I using the latest ACATune version (17).
So do all you guys out there with the single long command line not have this problem?
What I doing wrong? If I need a if statement to check etc - it should be documented?

Second issue
This is less of an issue - but caught me out because I load a PCMCIA CF card reader at startup - so although the ACATune says it needs be first line in startup-sequence.. a later line in my startup which sets up the CF was issuing a reset.. so blew away the ACATune "-slowpcmcia off" setting.. so I have to make that command come after the CF setup.

Anyway - on first point - just me? or this issue only introduce in ver 17 of ACATune?.. or I an idiot? or what?

Any help (so I can understand) would be appreciated.
Best regards

Last edited by Yoji; 26 July 2015 at 01:32.
Old 27 July 2015, 08:25   #2
kolla
Banned

I don't have an ACA card, but... Seems like ACATune has a little too much? Why do you need to turn om cache and burst, are they not on by default? Why use ACATune for something that c:cpu exists for? I would personally only use maprom alone on one line, and the others on a second line.
Old 27 July 2015, 09:26   #3
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Some of the options can cause instability, this is why they are off by default or other things are options for compatibility.

I never found ACATune hard to use, but it does have a few bugs such as if you have it in your SS your and remove the ACA board the Amiga will no longer boot.

I found the documentation to be quite thorough, all the options were explained in good detail.
Old 27 July 2015, 16:24   #4
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoji View Post
Turns out I was doing a soft reboot - so on startup the maprom command failed (saying it already in place) and so NO SUBSEQUENT COMMANDS EXECUTED!!! - this is bad as the maprom seems to survive a soft reboot - but no other commands do - so they need be executed at each reboot.
I using the latest ACATune version (17).
So do all you guys out there with the single long command line not have this problem?
We have exactly the same problem, which is why I have two lines with ACAtune. The first line with maprom only and the next line with all the other options.
Old 27 July 2015, 17:56   #5
modrobert
old bearded fool

Aha, so that's the reason it requires two separate commands in s:startup-sequence, when doing ctrl-amiga-amiga (soft reboot) maprom fail because it is already loaded. Thanks for sharing, I have verified this now by saving 'acatune' output to file during boot, it gives "ERROR: maprom already active" and fails to execute remaining switches/options on the command line as mentioned.

These are the first lines in my s:startup-sequence.

Code:
C:ACATune -maprom * >RAM:acaboot1.txt
C:ACATune -cache on -burst on -vbrmove >RAM:acaboot2.txt

Last edited by modrobert; 27 July 2015 at 18:03. Reason: Added my command lines.
Old 27 July 2015, 18:36   #6
Jope
-

Why not redirect the output to NIL: ? Are you ever going to read what goes into acaboot.txt? :-)
Old 27 July 2015, 18:47   #7
modrobert
old bearded fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Why not redirect the output to NIL: ? Are you ever going to read what goes into acaboot.txt? :-)
In case it wasn't obvious based on previous post, I'm debugging 'acatune' and want to see the output.

Besides, a few bytes of 128MB RAM will not matter much, think I'll leave it like this after testing as well.

Last edited by modrobert; 27 July 2015 at 19:05.
Old 27 July 2015, 22:08   #8
Jope
-

Ah, I didn't manage to parse it when reading your post. :-)