English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 26 June 2011, 01:53   #141
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
BTW i dedicated almost 20 mins to search what star-trekking in level 3 could mean, but I havent find anything
It's not hard to miss, just hard to reach - no still missing this achievement too

I have, however, completed the game on hard tonight (woot!) and managed to beat the target fall time by 0.05 seconds earlier this week

I still can't find the 2nd secret area on level 3 though.

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Old 29 June 2011, 22:01   #142
DJCruicky
Gone, but not forgotten

Quote:
BTW i dedicated almost 20 mins to search what star-trekking in level 3 could mean, but I havent find anything
I can tell you how to do it if you like? I don't like to spoil it for you if you want to find it yourself. A clue would be it's in the outdoor part of the level (well, where else would stars be, dur ). No grenades needed.

I'll try and release the bug fix version of AFF over the weekend (1.30b). It's been finished for sometime now. No new content, just bug fixes that you lot have spotted above, plus a few I found myself. However, I did turn 'TheWolf's bug spot into a new achievement. So you got 'Mountain Climbing on Level 5, but now we also have 'Mountain Climbing Level 6' too .

I've made a small improvement. Before when objects fall off the bottom of the screen they are lost (health, Letters and guns for example). But now if you walk to the screen below, you should now find them waiting for you to collect . This was tricky to program as screens are only generated when you enter them so having to get the computer to place the object in the correct place was challenging. Works even if you shoot an Enemy soldier down that 4 screen high mine shaft at the start of level 1. You should find his dead body there waiting for you at the bottom .

Thanks for the dosh Djay

Cruicky

Last edited by DJCruicky; 17 July 2011 at 01:14.
Old 29 June 2011, 22:13   #143
Djay
95th User

These are the little details that I really like in AFF...

I can't think of many commercial Amiga games that have this level of detail?

Have you thought of designing a completely new game Cruicky? You obiviously have a talent for Amiga game creation?
Old 01 July 2011, 13:48   #144
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCruicky View Post
I can tell you how to do it if you like? I don't like to spoil it for you if you want to find it yourself. A clue would be it's in the outdoor part of the level (well, where else would stars be, dur ). No grenades needed.

Cruicky
I tried outside, of course. No success, though Is there any kind of clue, any suspicious pixel, for example, that should I look for?
Old 01 July 2011, 22:48   #145
Lonewolf10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf10 View Post
It's not hard to miss, just hard to reach - no still missing this achievement too

I was wrong, it isn't obvious at all... until....

Nope not going to say how to do star trekking, other than I discovered it this week and a big hats off to DJC for the level design.
I also accidentally discovered the 2nd trophy location on level 3, so I now have found all the secret areas

I attempted to get the Trophy weapon on easy difficulty, but failed by 3 weapons (and 2 of those were from guys that got away... grrr). I then attempted it on hard and got killed off on level 3.
I will attempt it again tomorrow, probably on normal so I stand a better chance of reaching the end - I have only completed AFF on hard once so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCruicky View Post
I've made a small improvement. Before when objects fall off the bottom of the screen they are lost (health, Letters and guns for example). But now if you walk to the screen below, you should now find them waiting for you to collect . This was tricky to program as screens are only generated when you enter them so having to get the computer to place the object in the correct place was challenging. Works even if you shoot an Enemy solider down that 4 screen high mine shaft at the start of level 1. You should find his dead body there waiting for you at the bottom .
Wow, I can imagine that would be hard to program, and it shall make the "get the Trophy weapon" achievement slightly easier

DJC, I know you said that you were going to release a bugfixed version this weekend, but there is one other thing that bugs me. Sometimes the bad guys come onto the screen and they climb upwards off screen and never come back
I know you stopped them from disappearing off the bottom of the screen (other than the ones that deliberately run away), could you do the same for the top?

Regards,
Lonewolf10

Last edited by Lonewolf10; 01 July 2011 at 22:58. Reason: Bug?
Old 02 July 2011, 07:31   #146
mailman
Zone Friend

@Lonewolf10

Maybe some hints at least?
Old 02 July 2011, 16:26   #147
Lonewolf10

Woot!

I managed to get the Trophy weapon on normal difficulty - but only just, I picked up the last weapon needed to get the trophy on the last boss screen!
Plus, as a surprise bonus I completed level 5 without dying too, so now I have completed every level without dying.

I only have 2 achievements left to get - complete the game without dying and complete the game with fire weapons only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
@Lonewolf10

Maybe some hints at least?
You should arrive on level 3 with atleast 5 lives, so try taking a big leap of faith...

Regards,
Lonewolf10

Last edited by Lonewolf10; 03 July 2011 at 00:38.
Old 03 July 2011, 01:30   #148
DJCruicky
Gone, but not forgotten

Hi, As promised please find update.
New version. v1.31.

As said above, lots of your requested bugs fixed, plus new Climbing achievement on Lev 6.

ALSO ADDED:
2 new trophies to find in 2 new secret areas (just when LoneWolf thought he found them all ).

If upgrading from version 1.30 to 1.31 and wish to keep high scores and achievements, copy across files:-
AFFDeadBods and AFFHighScores.

Disk now 100% full, I was lucky to get it all on.

Go get it, links updated. enjoy.

DJCruicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay View Post
These are the little details that I really like in AFF...

I can't think of many commercial Amiga games that have this level of detail?

Have you thought of designing a completely new game Cruicky? You obviously have a talent for Amiga game creation?
No plans sorry, but who knows.
Old 03 July 2011, 01:45   #149
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Good stuff DJCruicky
Gonna have a go with the new version tomorrow
Old 03 July 2011, 08:47   #150
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Thanks again DJC - downloading now!!
Old 03 July 2011, 09:27   #151
mailman
Zone Friend

In Level 5 I found only one secret area. I have no idea where others might be

Some hints?

@DJC

When you complete the game it should be considered if lives that left shouldn't be converted into points. That way someone who will complete the game with one life will have a worse score than a person with three, four lives left (of course if we assume that they played equal).

P.S. How to obtain this triaton? (screenshot 1)

Another questions.

1. At Level 1, is it possible to go up, where this buddy is? (screenshot 2)
2. At Level 1, is it possible to kill the green alien? (screenshot 3)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aLien1.png
Views:	188
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	28989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alien2.png
Views:	185
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	28990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alien3.png
Views:	172
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	28991  

Last edited by mailman; 03 July 2011 at 12:04. Reason: TCD, next time edit posts with sense ;-)
Old 03 July 2011, 23:53   #152
Lonewolf10

Quote:
In Level 5 I found only one secret area. I have no idea where others might be

Some hints?
Both areas are fairly easy to find.

Quote:
@DJC

When you complete the game it should be considered if lives that left shouldn't be converted into points. That way someone who will complete the game with one life will have a worse score than a person with three, four lives left (of course if we assume that they played equal).
Great idea. On easy difficulty I have finished the game with 9 or more lives left (you have to get lucky with the E-X-T-R-A letters and find all secret areas - quite a few contain an extra life).

Quote:
P.S. How to obtain this triaton? (screenshot 1)

Another questions.

1. At Level 1, is it possible to go up, where this buddy is? (screenshot 2)
2. At Level 1, is it possible to kill the green alien? (screenshot 3)

Triaton is grabbed the same way you get to the area you are talking about in screenshot 2. But you get to the Traiton from a different screen...

As for killing the green alien, I don't think so. You'd have to kill the guys and get up to area in screenshot 2 mighty quickly (e.g. on first attempt) and then work your way down to where he is...

Mailman, you took part in round 4 of the EAB/Lemon Super League, which was Alien Fish Finger. John4P mentioned the technique which you seem to have forgotten - you can use grenades (or the bazooka) to jump high than normal, but you sacrifice one bar of life for doing so.

Regards,
Lonewolf10

Last edited by Lonewolf10; 04 July 2011 at 00:06. Reason: typos
Old 04 July 2011, 18:00   #153
mailman
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf10 View Post
Mailman, you took part in round 4 of the EAB/Lemon Super League, which was Alien Fish Finger. John4P mentioned the technique which you seem to have forgotten - you can use grenades (or the bazooka) to jump high than normal, but you sacrifice one bar of life for doing so.
Yes, I know that but it's a bit ridicilous to waste a life or a whole game on nothing. Particulary when you are in level 6
Old 04 July 2011, 21:06   #154
Lonewolf10

Quote:
Yes, I know that but it's a bit ridicilous to waste a life or a whole game on nothing. Particulary when you are in level 6
Indeed, but it's a very valuable technique. Life isn't really an issue when you have 8+ lives (usually by level 4, when playing on easy difficulty).

DJC, I downloaded the new version today and am so happy I don't need to worry when weapons drop down the shaft's
I also found it easier to get the Trophy weapon achievement - I managed to get it on Easy difficulty, but it still requires finding nearly all of the secret areas and the 2 hidden weapons caches.

Erm... not sure how to say this.... I found the extra 2 hidden areas!
They were very cunningly hidden, I had to go through level 5 twice (first time to clear level of bad guys) and only found the first one on a hunch - it's in the same spot I would have put a hidden area.
The second hidden area took a bit longer, but I found it too.

Oh, I also transferred my old scores, deadbodies etc. across with no problem.

Regards,
Lonewolf10

Last edited by Lonewolf10; 04 July 2011 at 21:07. Reason: typo
Old 11 July 2011, 15:33   #155
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Quote:
There are often treasures that give you more than you wasted. BTW that area from your screenshots is very tricky to get to, I managed it only twice.
Old 14 July 2011, 23:05   #156
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Just completed the newest version (on easy mode), tried the big leap from the tower in level 3 (and found one weapon upgrade there on light pillar), found one secret room in level 6, but STILL NO STARTREKKING!

I have only 50 percent points achieved.
Old 14 July 2011, 23:50   #157
Lonewolf10

Quote:
Just completed the newest version (on easy mode), tried the big leap from the tower in level 3 (and found one weapon upgrade there on light pillar), found one secret room in level 6, but STILL NO STARTREKKING!
Congratulations, you found one of the hidden weapons caches

You can actually reach that from lower down... (assuming you are talking about the pillar with flashing lights?)

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Old 15 July 2011, 13:40   #158
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Yes. I tried to jump from the tower to the rock and then to that pillar. Ang, grrr, I was only one weapon upgrade far to complete the weapon trophy!
Old 15 July 2011, 22:27   #159
Lonewolf10

Quote:
Yes. I tried to jump from the tower to the rock and then to that pillar. Ang, grrr, I was only one weapon upgrade far to complete the weapon trophy!
Yup, that's the one. Careful when you collect the weapons, sometimes if you stand in the wrong spot you only pick up one weapon - there are 2 you can pick up.

Have you found the other weapon cache that is also hidden in plain view? It's on a later level...

Quote:
I was only one weapon upgrade far to complete the weapon trophy!
Hehe, yes I also failed by 1 weapon before I finally achieved it on medium difficulty - it's slightly easier to achieve as you get more bad guys on certain screens (and even more bad guys on hard difficulty).

Regards,
Lonewolf10

Last edited by Lonewolf10; 15 July 2011 at 22:28. Reason: grammar correction
Old 17 July 2011, 01:02   #160
DJCruicky
Gone, but not forgotten

Looks like Lonewolf10 is beating everyone in finding these achievements. He the Games Master.

Some hints for every one else on finding secret areas:
*************** Spoiler alert below:
There are 4 ways in finding them:-
- Breakable walls (grenades not needed).
- Walls you can walk right through.
- The leap of faith. There are only 2 I promise.
- Grenade jumping. To get to high places throw a grenade, jump a split second just before grenade explodes under your feet to get some height.

Star Trekking is a Leap of Faith.

************** Spoiler end.

I made a [ Show youtube player ] of me playing Level 1. Contains spoilers.
Shows the location of both secret areas, and locations of all Triatoms for the Triatom achievement. I have to say I've played better, I even died in it . Settings I used: Medium difficultly, Grenade=Hold, Jump=Joystick up.

Enjoy

DJC

Last edited by DJCruicky; 17 July 2011 at 01:17.