English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Contest

Old 18 April 2019, 16:03   #941
invent
pixels

Yes! Congrates Mcgeezer, brilliant effort on Rygar, better than arcade. Have a well deserved rest with family. Thankyou for the copper also

Congrates to all other entries in comp. We amigans really appreciate your efforts also.
Old 18 April 2019, 19:52   #942
Puggsy
Banned

Where can one download this fantastic conversion?
Thanks for all the work on this mcgeezer
Old 18 April 2019, 21:25   #943
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

if I am not mistaken here
Old 24 April 2019, 02:15   #944
invent
pixels

Mcgeezer can you let me know where you posted request for new (bladerunner/themed background style) graphics for new levels, now that I'm back from Sri Lanka (Alive and have internet), I'd like to post/refer to it on some of the other Pixelart forums such as http://pixeljoint.com/forum/ and https://pixelation.org/index.php
Old 24 April 2019, 07:56   #945
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by invent View Post
Mcgeezer can you let me know where you posted request for new (bladerunner/themed background style) graphics for new levels, now that I'm back from Sri Lanka (Alive and have internet), I'd like to post/refer to it on some of the other Pixelart forums such as http://pixeljoint.com/forum/ and https://pixelation.org/index.php
Here you go mate.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=96896

Just in case it matter...

I can scroll the backgrounds independently so if needs be I can have any of the following.

3 two colour layers,
or 2 layers - 1 with 2 colours and 1 with 4 colours (like the sunset),
or 1 layer with 8 colours.

I guess the first option limits pixel art though, but remember we can make extensive use of the copper.

Geezer
Old 24 April 2019, 08:48   #946
invent
pixels

Thanks Mcgeezer, posted here:
https://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=31489.0

I'd love to help but my focus must be on Iridium at this time and the least I can do is try find some very talented pixel artists that might help
Old 25 April 2019, 23:13   #947
mcgeezer

Update.... I hope everyone had a fantastic Easter (I know I did, the weather was amazing ).

They say a picture speaks a thousand words so a video I guess will speak... or whatever...

Here's a latest video update but I'm actually talking about the bug fixes and stuff. If you prefer them like this then I'll continue on. I'm trying to build a bit of confidence anyway to start doing tutorial videos so this is kinda me just starting off.

[ Show youtube player ]

Enjoy!

Geezer
Old 25 April 2019, 23:29   #948
DamienD
Banned

Nice progress Gman

Cool to see the "jump on top of enemy, flip off" implemented
Old 25 April 2019, 23:47   #949
Frog

When i see your video i'm impressed. What a good work especially for a programmer alone.
This reminds me of the recent adaptation of Super Mario Bros on C64
What joy and personal accomplishment it must be to see all this take shape
Congratulation again
Old 26 April 2019, 00:57   #950
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Old 02 May 2019, 23:40   #951
mcgeezer

I thought I'd do a bit of creative colouring in and work on the copper gradients.

Now and again I get a bit of shit (mainly from the PPA) about the game not looking AGA.

I should call this a shit deflector update.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 02 May 2019, 23:59   #952
roondar

Nice, smooth gradients. Something even the Arcade didn't have
Old 03 May 2019, 00:00   #953
Gzegzolka

I like it as it is, just like I write on PPA I will write it again here. I think this is Your project and You are the one here to decide on what terms You will finish that game. There might be people who got different ideas how it should look and there are lot of people who like Your work already.
Old 03 May 2019, 00:13   #954
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Nice, smooth gradients. Something even the Arcade didn't have
Yeah.... it's weird, there's like something that makes me want to keep watching it.

I think I need some sleep!
Old 03 May 2019, 13:52   #955
fryguy

Really nice gradients!
Old 09 May 2019, 23:26   #956
mcgeezer

Here you go....

Some nice animated water falls...

What I've done here...

1) lots of under the bonnet changes... enemy configuration per level is now not stored in the binary but is stored as a separate file that is loaded each round - this saves a lot of memory (eventually) as the game code is coming in at around 150Kb. I'll be able to fit the entire game on 1 disk, which is pretty incredible.

2) Managed to introduce an annoying bug due to #1 where Rygar sometimes will not revive after dying (something to do with interrupts.

3) Added loads of nice gradients on the rounds, I really love these especially as I'm taking advantage of those lovely 24 bit AGA palettes.

4) Lots of graphics fixes to do with scrolling... no more weird things coming in from left to right.

5) The vertical scene is now quite rock solid, you can die on the scene and will be respawn back to the bottom of the rope. This was very tricky to do, if you notice in the video there's a little climb up when Rygar grabs the rope.

6) Other fixes... mainly to sprites...

..... I'm getting there with the game... slowly but surely. I really need these 6 rounds perfect and bug free then I'll be comfortable doing the rest of the game. I can't give a release date yet as I have lots of holidays etc.... probably October now.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 09 May 2019, 23:49   #957
DamienD
Banned

Wow, looking more polished / clean!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
I'll be able to fit the entire game on 1 disk, which is pretty incredible.
Old 10 May 2019, 00:05   #958
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

This looks indeed very polished. Amazing work.

But one thing annoys me: The obstrusive extras stone crashing sound (Haha). Any chance we can get something less annoying, maybe not that high-pitched? I know, the original sound exactly like that but it doesn't make it any better.
Old 10 May 2019, 09:33   #959
vulture

@mcgeezer

That's just brilliant!
One request: Would it be possible for some animation/colour cycling at the waters under the waterfalls or would that be too much? I think it's strange for it to be static while water is falling on. Maybe some slight anim of water particles at the collision point and some slow colour cycling as well. Again, nit picking here, I just feel it can be so great, it's very exciting to watch it taking form!
Congratulations!
Old 10 May 2019, 10:09   #960
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
This looks indeed very polished. Amazing work.

But one thing annoys me: The obstrusive extras stone crashing sound (Haha). Any chance we can get something less annoying, maybe not that high-pitched? I know, the original sound exactly like that but it doesn't make it any better.
Sorry I'm not 100% sure what you mean, can you be more specific about which sound it is and I might be able to sort it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
@mcgeezer

That's just brilliant!
One request: Would it be possible for some animation/colour cycling at the waters under the waterfalls or would that be too much? I think it's strange for it to be static while water is falling on. Maybe some slight anim of water particles at the collision point and some slow colour cycling as well. Again, nit picking here, I just feel it can be so great, it's very exciting to watch it taking form!
Congratulations!
Thanks - yeah, I'll try and sort that after I find a stupid bug I have which causes the game to intermittently crash on respawn of Rygar.

I don't mind people nitpicking at all, they're all valid points.