English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 19 March 2024, 16:47   #1
Zak
Zap´em

A waste of lifetime

I remember my teacher in class saying that she was annoyed by us Amiga gamers (because she catched us discussing a game solution), because we're "gaming for hours and in the end", we "didn't do anything". "It's a waste of lifetime, you could've helped at the community or been doing sports instead."

Now inmidst of a long mid-life-crisis (I'm fine, don't worry ), I remember this and wonder if I have wasted my life with gaming, with drawing solution maps on paper that I don't even possess anymore and with all the hours were I meticulously worked on finding the right car setup or level edit for the lack of something better and more useful.

What's your opinion?

Last edited by Zak; 26 March 2024 at 09:04.
Old 19 March 2024, 16:52   #2
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
Now inmidst of a long mid-life-crisis (I'm fine, don't worry ), I remember this and wonder if I have wasted my life with gaming, with drawing solution maps on paper that I don't even possess anymore and with all the hours were I meticulously worked on finding the right car setup or level edit for the lack of something better and more useful.

What's your opinion?
Did you enjoy any of it? Then it was not a waste of time. Too many people worry too much about others' opinions of them and their choices. F*ck 'em.
Old 19 March 2024, 17:00   #3
Amiga1992

I do feel like I could have used my Amiga time a little bit in a different manner (more creativity use than videogame use), but I wouldn't consider it a waste. Hindsight is 20/20.
Old 19 March 2024, 17:21   #4
dreadnought

Amiga kept me sane during some really, really hard times. So, no. But even in normal case scenario, any hobby which isn't an obsessive one is definitely not a waste of time simply because it enriches your life.

Okm some obsessive ones I guess can work out well in the end too, I guess
Old 19 March 2024, 17:35   #5
klx300r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Did you enjoy any of it? Then it was not a waste of time. Too many people worry too much about others' opinions of them and their choices. F*ck 'em.
Well said If anything brings you joy and/or brings joy to others that thing has value.
I have many life long friends from playing 'games' together :-)

Last edited by klx300r; 19 March 2024 at 17:40.
Old 19 March 2024, 17:47   #6
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I sort of agree with it. It is very easy to spend too much time on it. In fact I can say that it has negatively impacted my life to a point where I feel serious regret.

Gaming is fine as long as it is not an addiction. And so when you have someone that can identify it and persuade you it has become one.
Old 19 March 2024, 17:55   #7
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I have played video/computer games for pretty much my whole life and I had both phases of too much gaming and not gaming at all for a longer time. Now I play games when I have the time for it which isn't that often, so I tend to play games in a different way. I used to push through games to complete them even if I didn't really enjoy them. Now I just stop playing and move on. I also don't play any kind of online game anymore after a pretty serious ESO addiction.

I can't change how much time I spent on playing games, but I can change how I play them today.
Old 19 March 2024, 17:56   #8
TEG

It depend what was accessible to you. When we are a child, options are limited. We mostly depend on our parent and there was no Internet in the 80'.

Drawing maps an so on help to build the mind and make the imagination work for a child, so this is just a necessary step I think. The important is to move on after a reasonable amount of time. This is what @dreadnought said.

So I would say, not a waste if their was an equilibrium with others activities.
Old 19 March 2024, 18:04   #9
activist

Quote:
What's your opinion?
Yes. All of it, every single bit, is a waste of time.

But it doesn't matter in the slightest. No one can either speak on your behalf or give you some sort of affirmation.
If there's something nagging you that this 'pastime' is indeed a waste of time then, if it was me, I'd be paying attention to that.
Old 19 March 2024, 18:05   #10
Amigajay

Quote:
I remember my teacher in class saying that she was annoyed by us Amiga gamers (because she catched us discussing a game solution), because we're "gaming for hours and in the end", we "didn't do anything". "It's a waste of lifetime, you could've helped at the church or been doing sports instead."

What's your opinion?
Quite ironic saying your wasting time gaming when she wants help at the church of cults! No amount of time is wasted on anything in life, only if you regret it yourself. So don’t let some croak of a teacher get in your mind!
Old 19 March 2024, 18:21   #11
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Life is overrated.
Old 19 March 2024, 18:37   #12
chip

Life itself is a waste of time
Old 19 March 2024, 18:41   #13
rare_j
Zone Friend

It was my time to waste.

I'm glad I didn't sit in a church or kick a ball up a field.
Old 19 March 2024, 18:44   #14
Daedalus

"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Old 19 March 2024, 18:55   #15
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Just remembered this song: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 19 March 2024, 19:30   #16
Havie

Well,as I have just opened a retro cafe and am know known as the knowledgable person on retrogaming in the area, I don't think it has been a waste of my time!

If it has made you happy then surely it has been a positive thing!

I've drawn pictures, used it for work, programmed games (good for keeping the brain sharp), played games, surfed the Internet (at 28.8k) and more. None of this I would consider a waste.
Old 19 March 2024, 20:11   #17
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
I spent half my free time and money on gaming and partying. The other half I wasted.
Old 19 March 2024, 20:17   #18
derSammler

Everyone's free to waste his/her lifetime with whatever he/she wants. No other person has the right to judge.

Also, if playing video games is a waste of time, so would be reading a book.
Old 19 March 2024, 20:29   #19
kremiso

too bad the day is just 24 hours, otherwise i would play even more
Old 19 March 2024, 20:39   #20
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
"It's a waste of lifetime, you could've helped at the church or been doing sports instead."
I can not imagine worse wasting of life than anything church-related.