English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Other

Old 26 March 2008, 21:31   #1
source
Zone Friend

Poseidon Key file

Just wondering if there is anyone out there that would be able to tell me how to get a key file for V3 Poseidon stack for the Spider. Chris hodges now nolonger allows for registration. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08 June 2008, 14:29   #2
Pitti_Platsch

Hello, im search keyfile for Poseidon 3.8 under Amithlon (Tridend).

Can help please?

Old 08 June 2008, 15:21   #3
RedskullDC
Digital Corruption

Hi Pitti_Platsch,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitti_Platsch View Post

Can help please?
If this is now Abandonware, do you have a demo archive you can upload to the zone, or perhaps give us a web-link to download from?

Red
Old 08 June 2008, 15:30   #4
RedskullDC
Digital Corruption

Hmm..

After looking at http://www.platon42.de/poseidon.html
it would seem Poseidon V4.0 *IS* still a supported product, but only in conjunction with DENEB boards.
Other/older versions would appear to be "abandoned".

From Chris' site:
"01-Jan-08
  • Put the website back online (while removing some stuff found not worthy). The site contained much more than just my Amiga stuff, so it was missed. My decision to leave the Amiga scene is final though and this is not gonna change. Other than the Poseidon release to come with the Deneb USB card, there won't be any new Amiga software from me. So this is still "Bye...".
Anyone have any other news regarding this?

Red
Old 08 June 2008, 15:43   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Oh, come on. Dont give me any of this "Abandonware" crap. There is no such thing.

This is and always will be a copyrighted product and even though the author has decided to no longer sell it you still CANNOT warez it or it's keyfiles!

It will remain copyrighted for many years (50?) unless the author Chris Hodges decides at any time to make it freeware.

You never know, once deneb has sold out and there is to be no more production runs and no more USB products from E3B, maybe he will do just that.

Come on this is not some multimillion multi-national corporation you would be ripping off... it would be a dedicated Amiga user and one time developer who just wanted to make some beer money from his hard work.

Last edited by alexh; 08 June 2008 at 15:50.
Old 08 June 2008, 16:16   #6
RedskullDC
Digital Corruption

Hi Alexh,

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Oh, come on. Dont give me any of this "Abandonware" crap. There is no such thing.

This is and always will be a copyrighted product and even though the author has decided to no longer sell it you still CANNOT warez it or it's keyfiles!
Steady on.
Just trying to gain a realistic view of the situation, as should be clear from my second post in this topic.

No wish to impinge on anyone's rights, particularly in this public forum.

Red
Old 08 June 2008, 16:20   #7
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Alexh

I found his actions quite temperamental TBH. as far as i could work out, just because some one disagreed with him, he took his ball and ran.

But this is not the first time he declared he is LEAVING Amiga....

Admittedly when Elbox were caught using a cracked key, and there supposed to be his distributer that must bite, but he totally fucked over those that did support him.

meh... there is always serlion USB stack from the thylacine card for £35 atleast thats an open platform
Old 08 June 2008, 16:24   #8
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskullDC View Post
Steady on.
Soz, it's just I hate the "abandonware" justification some people use to rationalise stealing copyrighted material.

I much prefer upfront honest copyright theives like myself

"Ok, I know it's wrong but I'm going to do it anyway, shhh. Dont tell anyone."

Honour among theives and all that.
Old 08 June 2008, 16:30   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
he totally fucked over those that did support him.
No he didnt, they got what they paid for. Dropping selected hardware support on future versions of poseidon was his decision to make... The version of poseidon the customers bought still worked.
Old 08 June 2008, 17:07   #10
Boot_WB
Novice in the Black Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitti_Platsch View Post

Can help please?
I thought poseidon under Amithlon (using Arrakattack) was suported by default, not requiring a keyfile?

Could be wrong though...
Old 08 June 2008, 17:28   #11
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

http://aminet.net/package/driver/other/ArakAttack
Old 09 June 2008, 00:40   #12
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

ArakAttack, the driver, was indeed made free. Poseidon, the stack, is not.

A question I wouldn't mind clarifying is the registration stratus of Poseidon with E3B products such as Subway.
I'm told Poseidon is auto-magically registered with such hardware, but the copy that came with my Subway stubbornly remains unregistered no-matter what I try.
As there is no longer any "support" it's become something of a white elephant to me
Old 09 June 2008, 00:53   #13
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
No he didnt, they got what they paid for. Dropping selected hardware support on future versions of poseidon was his decision to make... The version of poseidon the customers bought still worked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
ArakAttack, the driver, was indeed made free. Poseidon, the stack, is not.

A question I wouldn't mind clarifying is the registration stratus of Poseidon with E3B products such as Subway.
I'm told Poseidon is auto-magically registered with such hardware, but the copy that came with my Subway stubbornly remains unregistered no-matter what I try.
As there is no longer any "support" it's become something of a white elephant to me

@Alexh

I wont argue with your point of view my friend, the only thing i will say is that this "decision" smacks home of Childish Arrogance.

he felt buttf*cked by the community and decided to "do one back" simple as... not gonna mention when he closed the site some of the other hosted sites plummited down as well..

thats the actions of someone whom needs his props to function in the morning.

but i fear you know this as much as I.
Old 09 June 2008, 09:19   #14
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
If you really do have a Subway. E3B will offer you all the support you need.
Old 09 June 2008, 09:31   #15
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Ok alexh;
Sold to me as a subway by Amigakit, looks like a subway, plugged into the clockport like a subway, functions like a subway (above limitations aside). I'll go talk to E3B as you suggest.
Old 09 June 2008, 15:57   #16
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

The only limitation of not being able to use Poseidon V3.8 on Subway will be only if your Serial number is bellow 600. Mine for example is 0013 so V3.8 has a 30 mins limitation (without a keyfile). Poseidon V2 works ok though.
AFAIK Poseidon V4 will be released at some point for all E3B products without requiring a keyfile and supporting all Subway serial numbers.
Old 09 June 2008, 16:04   #17
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
his page is working again, that 'bye' thing is over it seems.

http://www.platon42.de/cgi-local/dyn...&poseidon.html
Old 16 June 2008, 15:03   #18
Madcrow

Frankly, this discussion strikes me as a bit silly that it even has to happen. Only for the Amiga are the drivers for crucial bits of add-on hardware released as payware rather than as either freeware or open source... Granted, I can understand WHY things like this happen, given the small userbase, but still, if the Amiga platform is ever going to have a revival, essential bits like USB support with need to be included in the OS rather than being payed-for add-ons. Seriously. While the idea of buying a USB stack is mildly unusual, even for classic Amiga hardware, the idea like modern OSes like MorphOS and AmigaOS 4 require you to buy a paid bit of software in order to make full use of USB (Yes, I know that MOS comes with Poseidon, but it's only an old version) is a big symptom of the reason Amiga isn't at all popular anymore.
Old 16 June 2008, 15:52   #19
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Only for the Amiga are the drivers for crucial bits of add-on hardware released as payware rather than as either freeware or open source...
I don't understand your argument. The drivers for the USB host hardware was free, bundled with the USB hardware.

Quote:
essential bits like USB support with need to be included in the OS
But there is no OS development for classic Amiga's anymore and a USB stack wasn't included with the last one.

So what should the USB software developers do? Give their work away for free?? I wouldn't.

Last edited by alexh; 16 June 2008 at 16:07.
Old 16 June 2008, 16:00   #20
Madcrow

Quote:
I don't understand your argument. Poseidon came free, bundled with the USB hardware.
Yes, but to get newer versions than are included with your hardware, you have to shell out for an upgrade. Imagine what would happen if, say, NVIDIA or ATI decided that users of their cards would need to pay to upgrade to newer versions of the driver if they ever wanted to go beyond the version included in the box. I suspect that their dominance of the PC video cardf world would quickly come to an end.