English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 14 September 2009, 22:56   #21
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Well, that method works like a charm. WinUAE inside VirtualBox is about two times faster than with Wine.

Now the problem is, that Sarge won't auto detect the a2065. I added
a2065=<MAC from ipconfig> to the name.uae file. To no avail.
Old 14 September 2009, 23:41   #22
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
@Toni: just looking a bit more into the future, well ...

It was just playing in my mind, so it might be silly but could a proper networking support in WinUAE also benefit those Kaillera folks? (who won't get a newer build in this life anymore as it seems, and the source code is §ane-ly tucked away )
Old 15 September 2009, 01:20   #23
Shadowfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Even Windows nowadays allow manual MAC selection.
Yes, but that's going to be buried within the NIC configuration software or device manager.
Quote:
It would never work because a2065 driver would just ignore the packet because it does not match 00:80:01:XX:X:XX. (00:80:01 is Commodore's MAC address range)
Ahh, the driver is hardwired to that manufacturer number. I didn't pick up on that in the original post.
Quote:
Hmm.. I guess using 00:80:01:XX:XX:XX in outside world would work if nic is set to promiscuos mode, not that it would solve any mac collision problems, user could have networked Amiga with real A2065 and there is only 16M mac adress space Better have collisions inside emulation only than in outside world where it can cause major problems.
Agreed.
Old 15 September 2009, 16:09   #24
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
Well, that method works like a charm. WinUAE inside VirtualBox is about two times faster than with Wine.

Now the problem is, that Sarge won't auto detect the a2065. I added
a2065=<MAC from ipconfig> to the name.uae file. To no avail.
Does Sarge network installation even include a2065 driver? I checked the kernel driver source and it only checks for Z2 IDs (which are correct) and then pokes the hardware but there is no a2065 address space accesses.

Card is visible in /proc/iomem (which only means Z2 board is detected)

EDIT: can't find any A2065 related strings from kernel image or initrd22.

EDIT2: there is kernel binary that includes a2065 but it is separate kernel module = initrd needs to be rebuilt..

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas View Post
It was just playing in my mind, so it might be silly but could a proper networking support in WinUAE also benefit those Kaillera folks? (who won't get a newer build in this life anymore as it seems, and the source code is §ane-ly tucked away )
Nothing to do with network play

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 15 September 2009 at 16:41.
Old 15 September 2009, 20:21   #25
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Quote:
there is kernel binary that includes a2065 but it is separate kernel module = initrd needs to be rebuilt..
You mean extracting kernel-image-2.4.27-amiga_2.4.27-3sarge5_m68k.deb and putting its contents into initrd?
(Didn't find anything else that contains a2065.o)
Old 15 September 2009, 21:25   #26
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
You mean extracting kernel-image-2.4.27-amiga_2.4.27-3sarge5_m68k.deb and putting its contents into initrd?
(Didn't find anything else that contains a2065.o)
I found the same one and I also found "easy" way to add the module..

Add IDE (I used A1200-style IDE) hardfile that includes RDB and normal Amiga partition, copy a2065.o and crc32.o to the drive. (a2065 requires crc32) (+empty partition for Linux installation)

Boot to Linux (kernel and modules from that deb package, initrd22), press ALT-F2 when installer starts.

type following:

mount /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /floppy/
insmod /floppy/crc32.o
insmod /floppy/a2065.o

ALT-F1 back to installer.

stupid but works ("works" = ethernet card is detected, didn't test any further)

(for some reason floppy drives are missing from /dev)

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 15 September 2009 at 21:55.
Old 15 September 2009, 22:16   #27
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Quote:

Add IDE (I used A1200-style IDE) hardfile that includes RDB and normal Amiga partition, copy a2065.o and crc32.o to the drive. (a2065 requires crc32) (+empty partition for Linux installation)
I tried and failed. There's no way to do that with WB1.3, is there?

Quote:
(for some reason floppy drives are missing from /dev)
The installer gave me a list with all missing modules after doing auto detect for the second time. I think the floppy module was missing, too. But ide was definitely missing, so I don't understand how your method can work.

I fear there is no easy way for me.
Old 15 September 2009, 23:08   #28
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Found an even easier way.
Adding something to initrd is as easy as can be. (At least if you're on a linux host.)

Code:
 mkdir tmp
 mkdir initrd
 gunzip initrd22.gz
 sudo mount tmp/ initrd22 -o loop
 sudo cp -R  tmp/* initrd
 sudo umount tmp
 # do something with initrd/ (e.g. add modules)
 dd if=/dev/zero of=initrd.img bs=1024 count=11000
 /sbin/mkfs.ext2 -F -m 0 -b 1024 initrd.img 11000
 sudo mount tmp/ initrd.img -o loop
 sudo cp -R initrd/* tmp/
 sudo umount tmp
 gzip -9 initrd.img
et voila, initrd.img.gz is our new ramdisk image. Change StartInstall accordingly.

The kernel will automatically load all the necessary modules.and search for an install ISO on the harddrives. Didn't have one ready in the moment, though. And now I'll

EDIT: I tried to build an empty hdf attach it to ide0. Then I made a ext2-image copied the first binary ISO to it and called it install.hdf. Then I attached this to ide1. Linux finds the drives, but not the ISO image on them. Did I make some mistake? Can I partition the hdf somehow (got no partition tool under WB1.3)?
EDIT2: This is silly. I formatted it as affs, and it found Trashcan, but not the ISO. Hm.

Last edited by gilgamesh; 16 September 2009 at 10:20.
Old 16 September 2009, 18:05   #29
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Found an even easier way.
Adding something to initrd is as easy as can be. (At least if you're on a linux host.)
Too long!

Quote:
EDIT: I tried to build an empty hdf attach it to ide0. Then I made a ext2-image copied the first binary ISO to it and called it install.hdf. Then I attached this to ide1. Linux finds the drives, but not the ISO image on them. Did I make some mistake? Can I partition the hdf somehow (got no partition tool under WB1.3)?
EDIT2: This is silly. I formatted it as affs, and it found Trashcan, but not the ISO. Hm.
WB1.3? Seriously? You are on your own, sorry

But mounting the iso located in IDE hdf should work, good idea..

Really stupid, not tested idea: mount the iso as a rdb hardfile and then mount it as iso9660 in Linux! 2048 block size may be needed..
Old 16 September 2009, 18:40   #30
KillaByte

The network drivers are inclued in the initrd in the "nativehd" folder. With this the drivers get loaded but there's no network connectivity. This was under VMware, though with emulated NICs (one for WinUAE without any attached protocols).

Will have to test later this evening on real hardware - maybe the VMware solution was just one layer of indirection too much

EDIT:
Just tried with real hardware - still no joy.

WinUAE ran on a ThinkPad T42 running WinXP Pro. The NIC is a Intel E1000. In the network configuration all bindings were removed from the NIC. WinPcap was version 4.1 beta5 (as bundled with the latest Wireshark).

Here's what happens:
The Debian Installer doesn't autodetect the card. It then presents a list with cards for which modules can be loaded. If I choose a2065 here the module gets loaded and the installer tries to auto configure via DHCP. The DHCP request times out and I get the possibility of configuring the connection manually. If I do that it returns with an error saying that something went wrong configuring the NIC.

I also tried setting the IP settings manually via ifconfig on another console. This seems to work (ifconfig shows the IP I assigned to the adapter) but the IP cannot be pinged from another machine.

The dmesg output also suggests that something's wrong:
eth0: A2065 at 0x00e90000, Ethernet Address 00:80:10:52:99:f6
LANCE unopened after 100 ticks, csr0=0001.
LANCE unopened after 100 ticks, csr0=0001.
NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
eth0: transmit timed out, status 0041, reset

I used the contents of this ISO:
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ar...sinesscard.iso

I've changed the install script to use the initrd in the nativehd direcory rather than the cdrom directory.

Last edited by KillaByte; 16 September 2009 at 21:44.
Old 16 September 2009, 21:39   #31
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

winuae.zip again updated, now DHCP works but mirror selection does not send any packets at all...

GUI selection also added.
Old 17 September 2009, 06:08   #32
KillaByte

Hmm - I see something different. Here DHCP doesn't work (although the errors in dmesg are gone). I can now successfully manually configure the card. Mirror selection also doesn't work.

I looked at the ifconfig stats after the mirror selection failed. It showed transferred packets but no received packets.

This fits what I can see on the NIC. The activity LED is blinking at the DHCP request as well as at the mirror selection. Seems like he is able to send packets but unable to receive any here.

EDIT:
Here's an interesting tidbit about the available initrds: the cdrom one tries to access the CD directly (duh), the hd-media one tries to access a ISO image on the hard disk while the nativehd one tries to get everything from the network.

Last edited by KillaByte; 17 September 2009 at 07:10.
Old 17 September 2009, 08:28   #33
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaByte View Post
Hmm - I see something different. Here DHCP doesn't work (although the errors in dmesg are gone). I can now successfully manually configure the card. Mirror selection also doesn't work.

I looked at the ifconfig stats after the mirror selection failed. It showed transferred packets but no received packets.

This fits what I can see on the NIC. The activity LED is blinking at the DHCP request as well as at the mirror selection. Seems like he is able to send packets but unable to receive any here.
(this isn't supposed to become winpcap debugging thread but you really should test with uaenet.device in AmigaOS first, much easier and quicker to test.. EDIT: or A2065 in AmigaOS may be even better choice)

Make sure you don't have any firewalls active, they can interfere with winpcap. (sometimes really weirdly, I have noticed it with ESET for example)

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 17 September 2009 at 12:14.
Old 17 September 2009, 09:54   #34
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Make sure you don't have any firewalls active, they can interfere with winpcap. (sometimes really weirdly, I have noticed it with ESET for example)
If anyone uses also Windows 7 Firewall Control 3.0 you must create a rule EnableAll for the WinPcap Remote Packet Capture Daemon. As in this case you don't even have a notification from Win 7 Firewall Control as usual, when any new app/service tries to send/receive data to you network/internet.
Old 17 September 2009, 09:59   #35
gilgamesh
Linux snob

I mounted a ext2fs with netinst and binary1 ISOs on IDE. The installer accepted them. (Probably made a mistake last time.) I think it is getting time for a Linux on UAE thread.
Old 17 September 2009, 19:46   #36
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Yet another winuae.zip update (17.09), more A2065 fixes, now it should work without transmitter timeouts + other fixes.

It seems all(?) mirrors have deleted Sarge's installation files ages ago..

Btw, tail -f /var/log/syslog in another console can be very useful.
Old 21 September 2009, 10:32   #37
KillaByte

As for the Sarge mirrors:
You can enter archive.debian.org manually.