English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga File Server

Old 09 December 2017, 03:23   #1801
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Agony IPF is a master. Agony ADF is a copy.

I will soon be part of a colloque at the french National Library. I will plaid about preservation and the fact that the current copyright laws are a poison regarding preservation.

The ideal thing would be that the right holders kept their rights, money making forbidden on retro software, but allowing people to get the software with having the guillotine at their neck.

A french political person will be there, as well as old publisher CEOs, i will tell them about the situation.
Old 09 December 2017, 18:12   #1802
LongLifeA1200

Drats. Why am I always late to the party?

Anyway, IPFs are pristine versions of the original, free of any bit-rot, and vital to the preservation of a part of computing history. It should go without saying that everything else associated with the game (the manual, box art, promotional material, previews, reviews, demo, and source code) should also be preserved.

I consider "modified" ADFs to be just as historically important but I've found many to have minor corruptions. They could be fixed without an IPF, but in some cases it simply isn't worth the effort (simpler to replace the corrupted file). Nevertheless, what boots up before the game begins is just as deserving of preservation.

When in doubt, preserve.

(Sometimes even the original or current rights holders no longer have a copy. It's up to us. And no one but us [fans] seem to care about it.)
Old 12 December 2017, 20:25   #1803
emufan

search does not give any result, at the moment.
Old 13 December 2017, 08:56   #1804
Turran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
search does not give any result, at the moment.
Seems to work fine by itself again =)
Old 13 December 2017, 15:54   #1805
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turran View Post
Seems to work fine by itself again =)
yep, it does work again
Old 16 December 2017, 14:53   #1806
Timtheloon

Hi all

Is there a reason why Exodus - The Last War is not in the AmigaCD list or am I blind

I have an original CD but was wondering if there is a reason why its not uploaded?
Old 16 December 2017, 22:30   #1807
ma693541
Computer Wizard

@Timtheloon, Exodus - The Last War (AmigaCD) here you see the reason why it's not uploaded. Game is still being sold and therefor a no-no to upload. Please read "Rules & Help" first before asking or posting a question like that. BTW Welcome to the EAB.
Old 17 December 2017, 01:34   #1808
Timtheloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma693541 View Post
@Timtheloon, Exodus - The Last War (AmigaCD) here you see the reason why it's not uploaded. Game is still being sold and therefor a no-no to upload. Please read "Rules & Help" first before asking or posting a question like that. BTW Welcome to the EAB.

That’s the reason why I asked the question surely it’s better to ask than just upload???, I didn’t realise it was still being sold. I do think this is a great service though giving access to data that you may have lost due to floppy degrade or damaged CD’s

Last edited by DH; 17 December 2017 at 13:44. Reason: Deleted Tapatalk Direct Signature
Old 28 December 2017, 15:12   #1809
Genlock
Out to Grass

Hi Turran.
I seem to be getting a warning, 530 sorry, your maximum of number of connections from this ip (1) has been reached.
I downloaded 2 files and it appeared, tried it on the mirror , same warning..
I havnt downloaded anything for weeks so cant think whats happening ?

joe
Old 28 December 2017, 15:17   #1810
DamienD
Banned

Are you using an anomyous account or your own?

If your own and also using an FTP client then make sure that only 1 connection is set. Example below with FileZilla:

Old 28 December 2017, 15:23   #1811
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

You can't use Filezilla at all with the EAB fileserver; The max allowed connections for the server is 1 and the minimum that FZ can use is 2 - It always reserves 1 for the file browser, so if you then try and download something, it'll fail as it'll open a second connection to do it. Setting the max connections to 1 globally or in the site manager won't fix it.
Old 28 December 2017, 15:24   #1812
DamienD
Banned

Sorry Enverex, but that's a load of rubbish... it's what I use all the time for downloading / uploading and have done for years
Old 28 December 2017, 15:32   #1813
rare_j
Zone Friend

Yes if you set 1 connection as the max in filezilla (globally or connection specific) you can't actually browse at the same time as downloading - if that's not the case for you then you may not have it set up correctly.
Old 28 December 2017, 15:37   #1814
DamienD
Banned

Ok, yes. I cannot browse while downloading...

Read some information about it on the net; one is used for control connection and one for the data connection.
Old 28 December 2017, 15:42   #1815
rare_j
Zone Friend

What i do is set 1 connection max, untick 'process queue', browse for stuff and add it to the queue. When I've added everything I need just enable 'process queue' again and it gets the lot in one go.
Old 28 December 2017, 16:56   #1816
Genlock
Out to Grass

Thanks for the FZ tips Guys,, sorted
Old 28 December 2017, 17:11   #1817
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

It looks like you can get around the issue I mentioned before by letting the control/browser connection time out before trying to download anything. But I couldn't find a clean way of doing that in FileZilla (even setting all the concurrency options to 1) without simply waiting X amount of time for the old connection to die first.

Pretty sure I gave up in the end because the delay between the timeout (when browsing) and trying to download again became a major pain.

rare_j's idea of making sure the queue isn't processed until I've finished browsing everything is likely the best route. Didn't occur to me at the time, but yeah, it's not behaviour that people using FZ are likely to be used to!
Old 29 December 2017, 08:31   #1818
Turran

This should only be for the anonymous ftp account. Registered users have 2 simultaneous logins and downloads (some have more). Although, I guess you need to tell filezilla to only use one login for file transfers. I am no filezilla expert as I dont use it.

Code:
Max Logins: 2                      From same IP: Unlimited
I could change the ftp account to 2 logins, 1 download...

Edit: No, I can't since its a shared account.

Code:
200- | Max Logins: 20                     From same IP: 1                    |
200- | Max Sim Uploads: Unlimited         Max Sim Downloads: Unlimited       |
200- | Max Upload Speed:     0.0 K/s      Max Download Speed:    50.0 K/s    |

Last edited by Turran; 29 December 2017 at 08:36.
Old 29 December 2017, 14:19   #1819
mai

I do not want to take advantage of being a moderator, but is it not possible to give Moderators in general unlimited access to the FTP?
I think, to become a moderator has qualified us to have access without restrictions!
Old 30 December 2017, 18:35   #1820
Turran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mai View Post
I do not want to take advantage of being a moderator, but is it not possible to give Moderators in general unlimited access to the FTP?
I think, to become a moderator has qualified us to have access without restrictions!
Define "unlimited access" ? 500 logins? SSH shell permissions? A webcam on the server? =)

Yes, moderators can join the eabadmin group if you want. That gives you access to move / delete etc.