johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

hi guys what would be the simplest mixer to use with it
AdSense AdSense  
Old 22 April 2014, 21:32   #22
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
I just had a small test on my A1200. It seems very good but need two Amigas and a mixer.
Yes, as you need two turntables and a mixer to mix tunes
We never implied otherwise.
You can also mix it with other stuff, you can be creative. If you see my first Amiga mixes on Youtube, I wasn't even using a mixer, I was using a computer's soundcard and a control interface as my mixer.

Play with configs, find your ideal setup The manual I am working on will include some basic setups people can try to get started.

Quote:
So my disk based A500 wouldn`t be a good choice.
If you have Kickstart 2.x , you can run it from floppy. It works fine for stuff like chiptunes which are really small! Heck, if you have 2MB RAM and don't mind only trying small modules, and your machine is 1.x, you can maybe softkick into 2.0. I haven't tried it, but, it might work.

This is the best time to buy an Amiga 600 to add to your collection though

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnim View Post
hi guys what would be the simplest mixer to use with it
Anything that mixes two audio signals will do. There's some super cheap shit which is just like a crossfader and that's it. Depends on how much control you want on your mixing. There's probably plenty of "starting up" DJ threads on music forums around the internet.

There's really cheap line mixers like this: http://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-...Gear4music/SIZ

This one is also interesting: http://www.roland.com/products/en/M-10MX/

But on a DJ setup this isn't optimal, you want a DJ mixer, that has the classic two fader/crossfader setup, at least.
This looks like a nice option and Stanton is a good brand: http://www.amazon.com/Stanton-M203-C...G9I/ref=sr_1_4
Recommended budget brand: Numark
Recommended better brands: Vestax, Ecler, Pioneer, Allen & Heath
Old 24 April 2014, 08:45   #23
RCK
Administrator

This is a great news ! thanks for release
Old 24 April 2014, 09:41   #24
voxel
Amiga Nuts!

fantastic !
Old 24 April 2014, 10:10   #25
CrashMidnick

Really nice ! Many thanks !
Old 29 April 2014, 19:15   #26
h0ffman

My mod pack got uploaded to the website today. Sorry for the delay, been sick and mega hectic with work post revision.
Old 29 April 2014, 19:30   #27
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

Old 30 April 2014, 02:05   #28
micromong

for a complete amiga idiot :
how can i install the pt1210 from floppy to the hdd and run it?!

can't put so many mods on a floppy...

and by the way :
fantastic software and idea!

Old 30 April 2014, 03:04   #29
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Send a message via Skype™ to Retrofan
Quote:
Originally Posted by micromong View Post

and by the way :
Well, you could, but not from the floppy but from the shell changing the drawer to get to the one you've got the mods, and then calling PT1210 to run them.

Of course it would be much easier just clicking an icon launcher from WB, but that depends on the developers. I do not have problems of chip ram with AmiKit Real and all the modules I've tried work perfectly well, but it is true that it drops from 1,9Mb from the Floppy to 800Kb from WB.
Old 30 April 2014, 16:01   #30
h0ffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromong View Post

and by the way :
Make a folder on you HD, copy the contents of the disk to it, put the mods in the same folder, then run PT1210 from CLI.

You can always use your favourite file manager (File Master / Dopus)
Old 30 April 2014, 16:13   #31
Akira

I put it in C: and then CD to whatever folder has the mods I want. That way I don't have duplicate copies of the program.

Just use the CLI. Workbench doesn't make it easier. Loosing 1.1MB doesn't make it easier or better. Then you also again end up with duplicate versions. Enough nonsense about Workbench. Using a CLI or a floppy isn't hard.

Last edited by prowler; 30 April 2014 at 23:50. Reason: Deleted patronizing comments.
Old 30 April 2014, 16:31   #32
lesta_smsc

Just saw the video! Wow! Great way to revamp the DJ field! Let's hope this brings back some classics into the clubbing scene! :0
Old 30 April 2014, 16:51   #33
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Let's hope this brings back some classics into the clubbing scene! :0
Or bring in new classics! People, get club hit making !
Old 30 April 2014, 17:12   #34
daxb

About starting and access to mods. The current solution isn`t really good. With CD to a mods folder mentioned by Akira works but you have to restart PT-1210 if you want to change the mod directory. I guess it isn`t a good idea to have a lot of mods list visible (scroll malfunction). A possibility to change to different mix-mod-collections would be nice. Like sample banks but just for mods. With the assign command (e.g. "assign set1: pathtoset1", "assign set2: pathtoset2", aso.) you could do such things but I`m not sure if it is the best solution. PT-1210 have to provide access to different mod sets in some way. Another way would be to access the mod sets via text file where the DJ has assorted his set. What do you think? What would you like while live acting?
Old 30 April 2014, 17:17   #35
micromong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I put it in C: and then CD to whatever folder has the mods I want. That way I don't have duplicate copies of the program.

FUCK RUNNING IT FROM WORKBENCH. Nothing makes it easier. Loosing 1.1MB doens't make it easier or better. Then you also again end up with duplicate versions. Enough nonsense about Workbench. Using a CLI or a floppy ISN'T HARD.
is there a little tutorial for the CLI?
sorry to ask, but i am just an absolute amiga idiot as i said, haha.

thanks for help in advance!!!

Old 30 April 2014, 17:38   #36
Akira

You just have to do what I said. You copy the program either to C: or to the modules directory as hoffman said, you CD to that directory, then invoke it by its name.

Quote:
you have to restart PT-1210 if you want to change the mod directory. I guess it isn`t a good idea to have a lot of mods list visible (scroll malfunction).
There isn't a scroll malfunction. But if you have a lot you get lost.
It's impractical, but you can have up to 200 there. I would never recommend it.

Quote:
What would you like while live acting?
That's the main reason. I have tested this thoroughly in *real* situations and henceforth developed the user interface.
Although your suggestion is interesting (but not using assign, let's remember we're killing the system), it remains the question of whether it makes any sense interface wise. It's worth having into account though.

The way I have the program set up, I start the computer into a different folder (crate) on boot with a selective startup sequence. The machine boots up in seconds and you don't need to bother with any sort of typing or anything. It works great in a live setting.
Old 30 April 2014, 17:50   #37
micromong

cool thanks for the quick help. i will try!

Old 30 April 2014, 22:30   #38
h0ffman

Quote:
With CD to a mods folder mentioned by Akira works but you have to restart PT-1210 if you want to change the mod directory.
There is another reason (at least this is my excuse thus far) for it working on a single folder. Before the app starts, it scans the folder for modules and tries to determine the bpm of each module found.

If you're running on an unexpanded A500/A600, this is not fast, especially if you have a lot of mods in the folder. So imagine if you're doing a live set and you switch folders and it takes ages to re-load the list, your current tune might run out.

It's a bit like the exit function only works if the music has stopped and you hold the ESC key for 1/2 second. Features to try and ensure that you don't get caught out while doing a live gig.

There is also the fact that coding file selection and dos calls are boring as hell

On a side note: if you hit a key (A-Z) in the file selector, it jumps to the first file with that character (UK char only at the moment, sorry)

I've taken a break from development for the moment mainly because after Revision my day job turned into a shit tornado! (Most of the dev is done during my lunch break ) We will be back on it soon enough though, mainly to try and fix issues such as Kickstart 1.2 / 1.3 and an SPS issue which popped up.

BTW - Request if I may? If anyone has an A500 (ks 1.2 / 1.3) with a hard drive attached, can you try and run it from the HD? My WinUAE tests seem to suggest our kickstart issues are only floppy related..
Old 01 May 2014, 01:49   #39
daxb

Ok, I understand and that it is boring to code DOS stuff. Altough it is better to not swap mod files over hd into a directory. I guess the text file would make things easier. It could contain full path of mods, bpm and other data you need. Loading/parsing this text file should be very fast. Create such file could be done easy (maybe with a script) with exception of BPM. At least HippoPlayer can save modlists which contain only full path but for create mixing sets it is good. However, its all about what DJ`s want, not me.

Maybe such feature could be add to PT-1210 MK1 v1.1 or just MK2 released easter next year or some other party.

Akira, your "program set up" should be done easy without to reboot by just exit PT-1210 and hit a button on WB. If you not on WB a simple script start do the trick. Or maybe some launch tool. Just a thought. On the other hand, if the amiga crash a simple reboot solution save your life.
Old 01 May 2014, 02:33   #40
Akira

Quote:
Loading/parsing this text file should be very fast. Create such file could be done easy (maybe with a script)
That just makes the setup/running progress of PT-1210 more complex, unnecessarily. As it is right now it's fire and forget, and I'd love it to stay that way.

Asking people to pre-analyze their mods is a no-no. As you can see above, someone is even getting problems running this from the CLI.
I don't see what the textfile would improve. Switching "crates" on the fly is a valid request, but this text file "option" seems pointless.

What is so complicated about copying software (one file) to C: or modules path, then fill directory with modules?
If you don't want to unload/reload PT-1210, isn't 200 modules not enough?
If you need more categorization, you can use filename renaming. You can 1-char-code modules at the beginning to know what 'type' they are or whatever.

Solutions that already work are many. I would be under the impression that most anyone that has the motivation to dig out an old computer to use this will have the creativity t come up with solutions to little problems like this.

Quote:
Akira, your "program set up" should be done easy without to reboot by just exit PT-1210 and hit a button on WB.
I'll say it again ( ): screw Workbench.
It takes me 15 seconds (on an 020) tops to reboot and load PT-1210 into a crate with about a hundred modules, so I don't see any need for anything else.
My startup-sequence IS my launch tool.
People can make their own. I can post mine if people are interested. The slowest bit of it is going through iterations of Keypressed. Still is blazingly fast.

Adding ANYTHING to the soft in the way of frontends or whatever, is just a waste of time and adds unnecessary complexity to an otherwise solid and simple, right-to-the-job software.
If people would use it as intended (and not just in the comfort of their home desktops ) they would understand some decisions more.
AdSense AdSense