English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 23 August 2006, 02:24   #1
extentofmysin

Floppy disk beginner question - how to use USB joystick/pad with WINUAE??!

Hi,
I have a really simple beginners question - what settings do I change in WinUAE to use a USB joystick or joypad? Im using the latest version of the emulator (WinUAE1310).

In the 'Host-Game I/O' settings for both Amiga joystick ports in the emulator, there are options for only around 3 pc keyboard patterns to be used instead of a joystick, and for X-Arcade sticks. I thought X-Arcades connected to the pc via the USB port, so I thought selecting one of those might do it, but unfortunately I still cannot get the emulator to recognise any of my own pc joysticks or joypads connecting to any of my 4 USB ports.

I thought perhaps setting it up was even be more complex, and I might have to tell the emulator which button on my USB joypad Id be using for a certain Amiga keyboard button, and then Id have to make sure that THAT Amiga button combo was used as one of the 3 WinUAE emulator joystick layouts also for it to work (eg layout A numerical keyboard + 0 and 5 as fire).. but there are no options in the 'Host-Input' settings to do that...

...should my USB joypads automatically appear for selection within the emulator when connected, or do I need to do anything else?
thanks for any help and merry xmas
Old 23 August 2006, 02:43   #2
DamienD
Banned

Hello extentofmysin,

Welcome to EAB

Quick post as I'm about to sleep...

Hmmm, I use Xbox controllers connected via USB ports without any issue. You need to make sure that your USB joypad / joystick is connected and the drivers installed (if necessary) so that you can see them through Control Panel --> Game Controllers. Once this is ok then you can start WinUAE.

As you've said above, you now go to the Host --> Game I/O settings and should find your USB joypad / joystick in the drop down list. It should be that easy
Old 23 August 2006, 03:10   #3
extentofmysin

..thanks for the quick reply!

yeah, I think thats the (or part of) the problem - I forgot to mention that im using playstation controllers connected to my pcs usb port using a play.com converter, which dont show up in the control panel even after the drivers are installed. I cant get them to show from the game controllers setting, and cant add them from there either as I think that would only install generic xp drivers which wouldnt work anyway. I have a snes joypad and usb adapter lying around, could also try that but will no doubt get a similar result. Ive never used a pc joystick! I dont think its possible to add or link my playstation usb converter drivers to the same game controller panel so that they would show up.

If you or anyone else can get their non pc controllers or joysticks working please let me know...
there must be a way - thanks lol night night

Last edited by extentofmysin; 23 August 2006 at 03:16.
Old 23 August 2006, 08:59   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

They will automatically appear in Windows game controller control panel (and WinUAE's ports-panel) if the adapter/pads are working and detected by Windows properly.
Old 23 August 2006, 13:04   #5
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by extentofmysin
I forgot to mention that im using playstation controllers connected to my pcs usb port using a play.com converter, which dont show up in the control panel even after the drivers are installed.
Must be the play.com adapter

I've also used Playstation / Playstation 2 controllers via a USB adapter in WinUAE without any issues. In fact with these you get a driver disk but don't even need to use it (unless you want dual-shock). With the Xbox controllers though you have to install the driver disk.

These are the adapters I've used and I guarantee they work:

Playstation / Playstation 2:
http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?cat...oducts_id=3172

Xbox (although I have the 4 joypad one):
http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?cat...oducts_id=3174

Old 23 August 2006, 14:08   #6
extentofmysin

Wink

hmmmm ok - got them to work, finally! for some reason today theyve decided to show up in the control panel. erm

- the snes pad works fine! (supersmartjoy adapter)

although they were both working before in some other emulators yesterday
Old 23 August 2006, 14:11   #7
DamienD
Banned

Excellent news

SmartJoy adapters are definitely the way to go as they always seem to work without issues.

... no comment about play.com ones.
Old 23 August 2006, 18:56   #8
extentofmysin

I thought I had problems when both were plugged in at once, trying them both out a minute ago... but the solution was that I needed to just plug in either usb adapter long after xp had booted up to use them properly. I cant leave them both connected and then switch on as my system as xp usually wont recognise them that way most of the time - depends on the time of day, haha! ah well