English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 21 May 2017, 14:48   #41
Locutus

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Does AROS support P96 drivers? Where do I drop them? Is there an equivalent to P96Mode where I have to bind screenmodes to the boards?
It does! and getting it to work is easy.

Copy the .chip and .card files to where you store the aros 'rom' and invoke it like this:

Code:
arosbootstrap ROM aros.hunk cybervision.card s3trio64.chip
Early startup will already open up on a 640x480 mode.
Old 21 May 2017, 15:55   #42
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
It does! and getting it to work is easy.

Copy the .chip and .card files to where you store the aros 'rom' and invoke it like this:

Code:
arosbootstrap ROM aros.hunk cybervision.card s3trio64.chip
Early startup will already open up on a 640x480 mode.
So I guess Sys:Boot/Amiga/?

I see Devs/ Libs/ and aros-ext.bin, aros-rom.bin, aros.hunk.gz, AROSBootstrap, SetPatchAROS in there.

Ok so I have this installed on WinUAE right now so I'm just putting the AROS Rom and extended rom in the WinUAE options, where do I call this from first line of startup-sequence?

Can I just do this for any AmigaOS libraries like pci.library, Voodoo.card Voodoo.chip?
Old 21 May 2017, 16:04   #43
Locutus

How to get AROS to load the .card and .chip at load time when using (equivalent of) physical ROM's i do not know, ask Wawa.

I'm using a real 4000.

As for the Voodoo, AROS has its own driver support for PCI and Mediator (if its functional i do not know), dont expect this to work for any random hardware drivers.

AROS has specific support for handling P96 graphics drivers which is why this works out of the box with my CV64.
Old 21 May 2017, 17:03   #44
grelbfarlk

In answer to a question I asked, I threw powerpc.library and the other stuff on there and tried to run a basic WarpOS command:

Not that I expect anything else to work but it didn't, like CyberPi.
WarpRace seems to be running, really slowly but running:

Voxelspace runs in a window, ignore the Hz, it's actually pretty smooth:

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 21 May 2017 at 17:37.
Old 23 May 2017, 03:36   #45
grelbfarlk

Quote:
How to get AROS to load the .card and .chip at load time when using (equivalent of) physical ROM's i do not know, ask Wawa.

I'm using a real 4000.

As for the Voodoo, AROS has its own driver support for PCI and Mediator (if its functional i do not know), dont expect this to work for any random hardware drivers.

AROS has specific support for handling P96 graphics drivers which is why this works out of the box with my CV64.
Ok stupid question of mine, you say it works with the CV64, does it work with any of the Cirrus Logic Chips? I do have a CV64 but it's in the Toaster system, which, I'm a little hesitant to muck around with that one since AROS seems to have partially corrupted a hardfile in UAE.

I tried Arosbootstrap with Picolo.card and the Cirruslogic 542x.chip then tried with PIV (this is all still in WinUAE) and it still didn't work.
Old 23 May 2017, 08:40   #46
Locutus

I dont have a Cirrus Logic based card at hand so i cannot confirm that it does.

But why are you loading the Picollo.card and Cirruslogic 542x.chip when you have a PIV? Neither of those belongs to the PIV obviously.

Load PicassoIV.card and CirrusGD5446.chip.....
Old 23 May 2017, 12:59   #47
grelbfarlk

Quote:
I dont have a Cirrus Logic based card at hand so i cannot confirm that it does.

But why are you loading the Picollo.card and Cirruslogic 542x.chip when you have a PIV? Neither of those belongs to the PIV obviously.

Load PicassoIV.card and CirrusGD5446.chip.....
I was just trying this in WinUAE first. I just wanted to get some of the sausage making out of the way before I tried it on a real Amiga, which has a Piccolo.
Old 23 May 2017, 13:40   #48
wawa

Quote:
In answer to a question I asked, I threw powerpc.library and the other stuff on there
warpup works with aros?
news to me
see, i never cared about it. but cool..
Old 23 May 2017, 13:55   #49
wawa

Quote:
Ok stupid question of mine,
you are, kind of, doing things too complicated, seems to me.

to run aros under uae or on an amiga you basically only need to follow the instructions i posted above. you dont need to install aros or anything.
if you want to use your zorro rtg card you need to append the corresponding driver files to arosbootstrap command. so in case of p4:
Code:
boot/amiga/AROSBootstrap ROM boot/amiga/aros.hunk.gz boot/amiga/CirrusGD5446.chip boot/amiga/PicassoIV.card
i know that pci bridge drivers are incomplete on aros and i didnt test anything like that for a long time. i dont think i have ever got elbox pci library to work with aros, but whoever wants to try that, welcome.

im really positively surprised that warpup and poseidon work with aros. didnt expect that, at least at this stage. means aros is much more complete and compatible, than ive even thought.
Old 23 May 2017, 14:38   #50
Locutus

Ah yes, as for Poseidon it was just a matter of copying over the rapidroadcpusb.device file and adding a C:AddUSBHardware blablabal line in my startup sequence and it all worked as expected.

It doesn't automount Fat32 USB sticks (prolly just a missing filesystem module) but my USB trackball worked immediately.

Another missing thing is that 24bit modes are not included in screenmodes so i have to run a 32bit one, still rather slow.

Intuition based applications are Okay speedwise, but Zune is faaaar to slow. Once i have some more time i'll try a replace with MUI3.8, currently its MUI5(-whatever) on 68k style.
Old 23 May 2017, 15:05   #51
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Another missing thing is that 24bit modes are not included in screenmodes so i have to run a 32bit one, still rather slow.
I have 24bit modes

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 30 May 2017 at 20:45.
Old 23 May 2017, 15:10   #52
wawa

Quote:
Ah yes, as for Poseidon it was just a matter of copying over the rapidroadcpusb.device file and adding a C:AddUSBHardware blablabal line in my startup sequence and it all worked as expected.
you didnt need to replace poseidon.library with 4.x 68k version? cool.

It doesn't automount Fat32 USB sticks (prolly just a missing filesystem module) but my USB trackball worked immediately.

Quote:
i think it depends on the hardware and the driver, afair p4 has 24 bit modes available, cv64 or uae may not provide that. but im not sure if there is so much speed difference. i think the usual practice was usually to use high color 16bit modes instead of truecolor ones to conserve bandwidth.

Quote:
Intuition based applications are Okay speedwise, but Zune is faaaar to slow. Once i have some more time i'll try a replace with MUI3.8, currently its MUI5(-whatever) on 68k style.
i recall, its what olaf did, at least for the time being, on his aros vision distro.

yes, zune is slow. needs improvements definitely. but it also has stuff enabled that makes it certainly slower on amiga than it needs to be, all these gradients and such. im not sure, but i think deleting zune.prefs may reset it to defaults (no skinning).
Old 23 May 2017, 15:11   #53
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
I have 24bit modes
ah, okay, so it is an uae setting.
Old 23 May 2017, 15:27   #54
OlafSch

Quote:

if using MUI instead of Zune (what is possible) you must use Magellan as desktop replacement. Both Scalos and Wanderer are Zune based.
Old 23 May 2017, 17:03   #55
Locutus

Hey Wawa :-)

Quote:
you didnt need to replace poseidon.library with 4.x 68k version? cool.
Nope, the one included in the AROS Daily build worked. Only file required was the host device driver included with the RapidRoad.

Quote:
i think it depends on the hardware and the driver.....<snipped>
Nope, on OS3.9/CGX4 i do have 24bit modes, the hardware supports it (now i realised that P96 might not, never tried).

As for speed, i expect a 16bit mode might actually be slower as that would still require 16->24bit pixel conversions which are definitely more expensive then copying a extra byte for every pixel.

Quote:
yes, zune is slow. needs improvements definitely. but it also has stuff enabled that makes it certainly slower on amiga than it needs to be, all these gradients and such. im not sure, but i think deleting zune.prefs may reset it to defaults (no skinning).

Definitely, from watching the screen its obvious something is definitely going through weird hoops when drawing. Even on a RTG screen i can see it pixel fill items. Kind of fascinating to see how the toolkit rendering works in slowmotion :-D

And Hi Olaf!

Quote:
if using MUI instead of Zune (what is possible) you must use Magellan as desktop replacement. Both Scalos and Wanderer are Zune based.
So is Scalos for AROS specifically built against Zune? It doesn't run with MUI3.8? If not will Scalos/OS3 run on AROS with MUI3.8 ?

Thanks all! :-)

Alas ithe FFS part i had AROS running off got invalidated and it tore down the startup-sequence with it :-/ Disksalv is running.... aaargh
Old 23 May 2017, 17:16   #56
OlafSch

@Locutus

Hi

sorry to hear

regarding Scalos I do not know. I know that it worked a long time ago but then no longer. Later Scalos was ported to Aros but it depends on Zune. I did no longer test it because my own preferred desktop always was Magellan that has much more features and the big advantage of not being dependent on Zune, MUI or any other toolkit so I can change in Aros Vision between Zune and different versions of MUI by just copying files (I use 3.8 as default).

You can even add ClassAct what makes many ReAction-Software working and IBrowse is working too when using MUI 3.8 (not working on Zune)
Old 23 May 2017, 17:19   #57
Locutus

Okido, once i have my setup running again i'll give it a spin.

I just realised that at some point i booted up my OS3.9 SYS: with AROS 'ROM' + P96 drivers and it booted all the way to my Scalos desktop.

A good starting point might then be to copy over my own MUI + Scalos setup and go from there.....
Old 23 May 2017, 17:29   #58
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
ah, okay, so it is an uae setting.
Yes

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 30 May 2017 at 20:45.
Old 23 May 2017, 17:31   #59
wawa

Quote:
Nope, on OS3.9/CGX4 i do have 24bit modes, the hardware supports it (now i realised that P96 might not, never tried).
im still pretty sure was using 24bit modes with p4 on aros, there even is a remaining issue with a pen being messed up in this pixel format, which leads to window frames being drawn brown instead of blue. ill check that when i find time to put p4 back into some a4000 and boot aros with it.

Quote:
So is Scalos for AROS specifically built against Zune? It doesn't run with MUI3.8? If not will Scalos/OS3 run on AROS with MUI3.8 ?
scalos is built against zune, but actually uses the same classes as the genuine 68k version. my guess is that it should work with mui, but i have never tried.

Quote:
Alas ithe FFS part i had AROS running off got invalidated and it tore down the startup-sequence with it :-/ Disksalv is running.... aaargh
funny enough i dont have that problem frequently. usually if i do something stupid ffs revalidates with no further issue. just need to wait a bit. thing is, when using cf card you dont hear it coming. good thing is disksalv works with aros as most other tools. another option would be to use pfs3. its even included in aros natively.
Old 23 May 2017, 19:52   #60
wawa

Quote:
so, just checked, i have 24bit modes with a p4 alright. wanderer crashed after i changed the resolution . must be one of these remaining bugs that dont show up with uae. too few people are testing on their amigas, which is understandable, because it is actual work. but if i saved and restarted it would be certainly working. im not sure which is faster though.

btw the bug might be reproducible with p4 emu in winuae..