English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 20 May 2013, 12:21   #2201
amigarobbo

This all seems to working pretty well, I can see games on my new monitor, and I can get a nice unflicking decent sized workbench screen, the only thing that's no good is IBrowse at a decent screen resolution, it's like crawling through treacle.

THis is of course, due to problems restrictions of AGA, as great as this product is, it's no subsitute for a graphics card

But then it was never sold as one, so all good, init?
Old 20 May 2013, 19:31   #2202
BarryB
Amigaholic

How do we get rid of interlace effects in the MKII? You can see them when you drag something or move the mouse when running interlaced screens.
Old 20 May 2013, 20:02   #2203
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
How do we get rid of interlace effects in the MKII? You can see them when you drag something or move the mouse when running interlaced screens.
You can't. It is not possible get rid of all interlacing artifacts when going from interlaced->progressive.
Old 21 May 2013, 10:54   #2204
PopoCop

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
You can't. It is not possible get rid of all interlacing artifacts when going from interlaced->progressive.
That's sad.
Old 21 May 2013, 16:24   #2205
Cymru

Details for the next generation of Flickerfixers from Individual Computers

In VGA or DVI output?
Old 21 May 2013, 20:20   #2206
BarryB
Amigaholic

Dvi
Old 22 May 2013, 00:15   #2207
demolition
Unregistered User

The picture is identical in VGA and DVI, although VGA might be slightly unsharper and have noise in it. The interlace artifacts are the same.
Old 22 May 2013, 09:47   #2208
PopoCop

Is it really impossible to eliminate those interlace effects? Static (not moving) screens look good but anything that moves shows interlace and it looks awful. Playing pinball games in multiball mode (PAL 640*512) is a nightmare and looks worse than on PAL monitor or VGA with external scandoubler (without flicker fixer).
Old 22 May 2013, 10:24   #2209
TreacleWench
Amigaaaarrrrgghhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopoCop View Post
Is it really impossible to eliminate those interlace effects? Static (not moving) screens look good but anything that moves shows interlace and it looks awful. Playing pinball games in multiball mode (PAL 640*512) is a nightmare and looks worse than on PAL monitor or VGA with external scandoubler (without flicker fixer).
Am I missing something here? When on the desktop I do notice artifacts on the mouse cursor when it's moving but I have never noticed any artifacts in any games. And I play Pinball Dreams alot!

I would say the picture is 10 times better than it ever looked back in the day when I used it on a PAL TV.
Old 22 May 2013, 10:33   #2210
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacleWench View Post
Am I missing something here? When on the desktop I do notice artifacts on the mouse cursor when it's moving but I have never noticed any artifacts in any games. And I play Pinball Dreams alot!
Most games are not running in interlaced mode, thus there will be no problems.

@Popocop: A PAL monitor can show interlaced properly, thus there will be no artifacts. An LCD could do it as well to a large extent, but then it would be flickering.

Wikipedia writes this about deinterlacing:
Quote:
Deinterlacing has been researched for decades and employs complex processing algorithms; however, consistent results have been very hard to achieve.
Deinterlacing is a compromise, and there is no definite 'correct' way of doing it. It can be compared to Intelligent Frame Creation methods, which are found in most modern TVs to make video move smoother. It may work for certain clips, but there are always problems with it and it can't work generally.
Old 22 May 2013, 11:12   #2211
Schoenfeld
electricky.

When interlacing, every half-frame is the "current" frame, so if you start counting at a certain time index, then every half-frame is "half a frame" further in time. The reason why you see it "perfect" on an interlaced output is that you always see the current frame. It's a result of the flickering: You miss the steady picture and only get the current information.

Indivision AGA MK2 does what *all* flickerfixers have done in the past: It composes a progressive-scan picture from the last two half-frames.

Naturally, these two interleaved half-frames belong to a different time-index, so the resulting picture is a mix of the "current" time-index, and "half a frame ago". There is no "clean" way around that, as demolition already mentioned. In essence, you trade the flickering for the interlace artefacts. Since these artefacts only appear on horizontal movements and ONLY on interlaced pictures (which are hardly ever used in games), I'd say that's a good compromise.

Jens
Old 22 May 2013, 11:16   #2212
TreacleWench
Amigaaaarrrrgghhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
Since these artefacts only appear on horizontal movements and ONLY on interlaced pictures (which are hardly ever used in games), I'd say that's a good compromise.
I couldn't agree more!
Old 22 May 2013, 12:12   #2213
PopoCop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacleWench View Post
And I play Pinball Dreams alot!
It's a lores game and it has no multiball mode. Play Pinball Illusions or Slam Tilt.
Old 25 May 2013, 04:55   #2214
bbond007

Quote:
I'd say that's a good compromise.
Totally Agree. I can run Shapeshifter in interlace PAL 8BPP mode and get decent video speed. About 1:1 with a Quadra

Running in multiscan mode will cut that figure in half making the video feel sluggish.

Also keep in mind that Commomore's Amber in the A3000 had the same type of interlace motion tearing on the VGA in interlace mode.

I was playing with the interlace video in Virtualdub(Windows PC) to try and eliminate motion tearing as much as possible when I was running the A1200 with AmigaManiacs SVIDEO into a USB capture device. Even with all of the options that software had I don't think one would totally eliminate it without causing other annoyances like blurry text.
Old 25 May 2013, 19:33   #2215
BarryB
Amigaholic

@Shoenfeld: Well that's shut me up then
Old 27 May 2013, 10:24   #2216
Schoenfeld
electricky.

All support cases solved to a level where no customer reports a "showstopper". Still a bit of work to do for documentation and fixing smaller bugs, but we get a display on pretty much every monitor with satisfying results. That's enough to say sales continue today!

Like I mentioned a few weeks ago, stock is pretty low and pre-orders must be served first. All of you who have pre-ordered with the reseller of your choice, please check and re-confirm the order with the exact computer type that you want to use the flickerfixer in. Reason is that the new production run of the A1200 version does NOT fit the A4000T out of the box any more, so please ONLY order the old version if you really have an A4000T.

The new version "Indivision AGA MK2cr" uses a different connector for the DVI cable. It gets in the way of electrolytic capacitor CE164C in the A4000T. If you want to use the new version in the A4000T, you need to replace that capacitor with a lower-profile ceramic type.

Other than that, the new production run uses the exact same circuit as the old one. Same CPLD contents, same flash/config tool, same resolutions, same socket, even the protection diodes and memory chips come from the same spool. The components of the small DVI-connector board have now moved to the main flickerfixer, and the DVI cable is a molded type now.

http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/File:Indiv...AGA_MK2cr1.JPG

Jens
Old 27 May 2013, 10:39   #2217
amigakit.com

The new Indivision 1200 AGA Mk2cr is now added to the AmigaKit.com webstore and is available for pre-ordering:

UK Store:
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...oducts_id=1148

EU Store:

USA Store:
http://www.amigakit.us/product_info....oducts_id=1148

Canada Store
Old 27 May 2013, 10:41   #2218
DonAmiga

Will there be more sales for the A4000d/cd32 ?

Thanks
Old 27 May 2013, 11:28   #2219
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
The new Indivision 1200 AGA Mk2cr is now added to the AmigaKit.com webstore and is available for pre-ordering:
"All OCS/ECS/AGA screenmodes displayed and scan-converted, output is always over 60Hz and flicker-free"

Is 60Hz a minimum ? No 50Hz mode ?
Old 27 May 2013, 11:36   #2220
NovaCoder

Quote:
All support cases solved to a level where no customer reports a "showstopper".

Jens
Congrats, glad it is on sale again