English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 16 July 2016, 16:55   #1
Hombre40

A500Plus battery leaked?

Hi all,
today I retrieved my old A500Plus from the cellar. It looks mostly ok, but I opened it and I can see blackish lines around the battery. I guess these are the dreaded leaks? How bad it is? Is there any chance I can fix it and have it boot again? (I did not try connecting power to avoid further damage).

Photo to be published as soon as my Internet connection works better

Last edited by Hombre40; 16 July 2016 at 18:27.
Old 17 July 2016, 02:52   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

This is a common problem with the A500 Plus after all these years, but the damage to yours sounds minimal, fortunately.

The best thing you can do is to remove the battery as soon as possible - preferably by cutting the legs, being careful not to inflict any damage on the circuit board tracks.

If you can do so, it is also important to remove any corrosive deposits you may find once you have removed the battery.

In your case, it may be sufficient just to clean the area surrounding the battery with isopropyl alcohol (IPA), applied with a clean 12mm paint brush with the bristles cut short (to around 8mm) to improve the rubbing action.

If you see any green or white crystalline deposits, then the board will need removing from the case and irrigating with lemon juice while brushing to remove the deposits and then flushing with tap water before drying thoroughly.

The battery will not need to be replaced, unless the real time clock function is important to you, because that's the only reason it is there.
Old 17 July 2016, 09:59   #3
Hombre40

So what would those blackened copper lines be? I'm trying to underastand what happens. Like, the battery leaks corrode the coating layer put over the copper lines to avoid oxidation, so the copper oxidates, and it just needs to be cleaned to remove the oxidated layers. Or do the leaks directly corrode the copper?

Yes I don't need the battery really... I could survive without the RTC.

If I need to wash the board, can I leave the chips in and just wait for the board to dry completely (say, 3 days), or should I desolder and remove socketed chips?

My internet connection still is not working properly, sorry...
Old 17 July 2016, 10:25   #4
ajk

The electrolyte will always seep under the solder mask from some spot. First the traces start to change colour, but after a longer period they disintegrate entirely. If there are no functional issues yet, it is usually enough to neutralize the electrolyte and thoroughly clean the board.

For cleaning, it is a good idea to remove the socketed chips, but you don't need to start desoldering anything. Just be sure to use something like distilled water or isopropyl alcohol for the final rinse, anything that won't leave mineral deposits behind when drying.
Old 17 July 2016, 12:50   #5
djukon

Hi, I also have to clean up my A500 Plus and I have some questions.

So, to recap: brush with isopropyl alcohol, irrigate (soak?) with light acid (lemon juice or vinegar), rinse with isopropyl alcohol or distilled water, let it dry thoroughly. I read vinegar as an alternative to lemon juice in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
clean the area surrounding the battery with isopropyl alcohol (IPA)
I don't have IPA currently, I can only get some next Saturday. At least I think I don't, I do have a floppy drive cleaning liquid that came with a cleaning floppy, which doesn't say IPA on the label. It could be IPA, what else could it be besides it?

Quote:
irrigating with lemon juice while brushing to remove the deposits
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk View Post
The electrolyte will always seep under the solder mask from some spot.
Generously letting lemon juice or vinegar bathe the affected part of the board? Or doing it cautiously with small drops and cotton swabs so it doesn't get out of hand?

Should one brush the area during this phase, or just let lemon juice or vinegar seep in and let the acid neutralize the alkali? If one is to brush, with what then? Another clean paint brush?

Quote:
For cleaning, it is a good idea to remove the socketed chips,
Why? Is one supposed to bathe the entire board or a large part of it? Or just to be cautious in case a drop of acid jumps to the wrong place while cleaning the RTC area? Or is it because some electrical discharge could happen during the repair?

Quote:
and then flushing with tap water
Quote:
Just be sure to use something like distilled water or isopropyl alcohol for the final rinse, anything that won't leave mineral deposits behind when drying.
Generously letting distilled water or IPA go through the affected part of the board (one side to the other)? As to remove all traces of lemon juice or vinegar (as well as the neutralized alkali)?

On a side note, prowler, I don't think tap water is such a good idea as it contains many mineral deposits that when dry could cause electrical current to flow through the wrong places.

Quote:
drying thoroughly.
Soak up the liquid with some sort of cloth first, then apply a hair dryer with the heat turned off for 30 minutes? And then wait a week in a dry place? Add some rice in contact with the affected area as well during the drying week?

Quote:
The battery will not need to be replaced, unless the real time clock function is important to you, because that's the only reason it is there.
I will need it, but I haven't got it working since it came back from a very simple repair 6 or more years ago. The coin battery replacement must have been soldered in incorrectly or something. Is there a guide how to properly connect one? I once saw one online, like 10 years ago, unfortunately I can't find it anymore.
Old 17 July 2016, 13:09   #6
ajk

@djukon

Wash a generous area around the visible corrosion. No harm in cleaning the whole board. Vinegar and citric acid won't attack the intact parts (obviously don't leave the board sitting in vinegar for weeks or something ridiculous like that).

Removing the socketed chips simply gives you better access for cleaning (and later, drying). Also a good time to check if the sockets or the pins have been affected by corrosion.

Getting rid of excess moisture in some way (dabbing with paper towels, canned air, compressor) is a good idea, particularly from inside the sockets, connectors etc. where water can't easily drain out. Then just let the board dry naturally, preferably standing up on its side. The remaining moisture will be gone within a day, assuming you don't live in a jungle
Old 17 July 2016, 13:29   #7
djukon

Quote:
@djukon [...]
Thanks for the tips, ajk. I don't feel comfortable washing the entire board in vinegar, yet. But I will check the sockets and pins.
Old 17 July 2016, 16:07   #8
idrougge

Washing in vinegar is potentially harmful if you can't clean up the spot. Soaking an entire board in vinegar is bordering on stupidity.
Old 17 July 2016, 17:18   #9
djukon

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Washing in vinegar is potentially harmful if you can't clean up the spot. Soaking an entire board in vinegar is bordering on stupidity.
Exactly, idrougge. I've got to study this topic better and figure out where and how best to apply (and remove) it. But currently I'm going for "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach and just stick to the RTC area, and connectors overall. These boards have gone production extinct, so one needs to be careful.
Old 18 July 2016, 12:00   #10
Hombre40

Finally, I managed to upload the picture.

How bad is it?
Old 18 July 2016, 12:16   #11
ajk

That is "medium" bad. Clearly the battery has leaked a lot, but it doesn't look like it has reached most of the chips at all. There may be some damage to the traces, some of them have blackened. Brush away the loose crystals with a toothbrush or such, carefully clip the battery off, and take another photo.
Old 19 July 2016, 03:08   #12
idrougge

Not that bad, but the axial capacitor needs replacing or at least a thorough cleaning (including preferably desoldering), as do some vias. I recommend cleaning any smeared solder points with the aforementioned fluids, followed by flux and fresh solder.
Old 19 July 2016, 05:04   #13
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Yes desoldering the battery from the MB, use some vinegar on a cotoon, and brush brush

Next, you need some kynar wire (bit of soldering) to bridge the eaten traces darkened in in black.
Old 19 July 2016, 11:58   #14
amigakit.com

After checking the via's and tracks, a good option to replace the old Nicad battery is a coin cell battery: