English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 05 October 2018, 15:32   #3581
elenachen

If that what I'm seeing is a anti-static bag, then please remove it, because they are conductive! ;-)
Old 05 October 2018, 16:01   #3582
hooleydog

Steven which firmware do I need for v3 with IDE....
Old 05 October 2018, 21:06   #3583
plasmab
Banned

So i have a whole 15 mins spare i'll try and answer some questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsymalone666 View Post
So I've bought a TF530 PCB from
I came across a MC68030RP33B, is that similar/ the same?
Works fine. I generally test with that exact part number.

Quote:
2)One of my main interests in this board is the IDE bit, how many IDE devices can the bus support, 2/4?
No idea. Its the same interface as the A600/A1200 so whatever they support.

Quote:
3)FPU seems quite abundant on ebay from china and cheap, is that normal or should I be looking for something else?
Yes the cheap PLCC ones work fine. Avoid the 68881.

Quote:
4)the XC9572XL-VQ64 are there alternatives? whats the best place to find this?
No alternatives. Nothing else does the job this chip does. 3.3V supply and 5V tolerant IO.

Quote:
5)AS7C4096A-12TCN 512k ram chips, it gives a total of 2mb, with a Standard A500 (not a plus model) do you get all 2mb and anything else you have plugged in the expansion ports or will other mods be needed?
The ram is stand alone and doesnt overlap with chip ram. If you have other ZII cards (sidedoor or kipper2k) then they will not work.

Quote:
My wife works with people from China and Japan (including electronics engineers) so fingers crossed we might be able to find some the more hard to track down bits and get components cheap!
Good luck. I found that the cheaper the parts the more duds i get per batch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooleydog View Post
Steven which firmware do I need for v3 with IDE....
Same as everything else. Use the latest dev build. If you have IDE issues you have probably not hooked up the INT2 cable. There are known working CF cards here

https://github.com/terriblefire/tf53...ified-CF-Cards

Verified ram chips: -

https://github.com/terriblefire/tf53...fied-Ram-Chips

troubleshooting guide here: -

https://github.com/terriblefire/tf53...ting-TF530-Q&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by elenachen View Post
If that what I'm seeing is a anti-static bag, then please remove it, because they are conductive! ;-)
Holy bananas get rid of that bag or you'll have a real terriblefire
Old 05 October 2018, 21:17   #3584
CRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post

https://github.com/terriblefire/tf53...ting-TF530-Q&A

Holy bananas get rid of that bag or you'll have a real terriblefire
Oooops, that shows how much I know what I'm doing.... luckily there appears to be no damage. I tried my multimeter on the bag and resistance was always off-scale. I read that newer antistatic bags tend to be less conductive than the ones used in the past, so maybe that's what saved me.

Last edited by CRP; 05 October 2018 at 22:08.
Old 06 October 2018, 00:51   #3585
plasmab
Banned

Terrible Fire Accelerators

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRP View Post
Oooops, that shows how much I know what I'm doing.... luckily there appears to be no damage. I tried my multimeter on the bag and resistance was always off-scale. I read that newer antistatic bags tend to be less conductive than the ones used in the past, so maybe that's what saved me.

That right hand pin isn’t soldered at all? Have you checked this board over with a microscope ?

EDIT: I’ve seen 3 boards all with that pin not soldered now. Why does that pin get missed?
Old 06 October 2018, 13:14   #3586
CRP

Success, finally!!! I soldered on the RAM cpld, double checked the buffer and resistor network solderings (they were fine), then made sure the RAM cpld is erased while the BUS one is correctly programmed. Finally I installed the thing into my A500 and this time it started up correctly. The only problem I noticed is that the serial output is slightly corrupt: on diagrom's main menu, the row corresponding to menu item 5 tends to disappear, while some random characters (mostly something like "H;1H") move around on the bottom rows of the screen. The same does not happen on the CRT monitor where everything appears fine, while everything works flawlessly with stock 68k cpu.

Now on to soldering on the RAM chips

Thanks guys!
Old 06 October 2018, 15:46   #3587
plasmab
Banned

If you fix the soldering on the clock buffer you'll probably fix the serial output.
Old 06 October 2018, 17:30   #3588
CRP

I just installed the ram chips and now the serial output works fine. As I mentioned above, I have fixed the soldering on the clock buffers previously.
I have the TF530 running in the A500 right now. The 68030 is correctly recognized, the chipmem test recognizes 511kB of memory without errors as expected. Now I am running the fastmem test, and here it says, at the top of the screen: Z2 memory detetcted 8192kB.
the test is running and it reached more than 5000kB without errors. Not sure what's going on here...
I will go back and recheck all ram chip solderings and connectivity with bus points.

BTW, in the TF530's current state, only diagrom boots. Ordinary kickstart yields white screen and blinking keyboard led.

Last edited by CRP; 06 October 2018 at 18:17.
Old 06 October 2018, 20:06   #3589
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
I just installed the ram chips and now the serial output works fine. As I mentioned above, I have fixed the soldering on the clock buffers previously.
I have the TF530 running in the A500 right now. The 68030 is correctly recognized, the chipmem test recognizes 511kB of memory without errors as expected. Now I am running the fastmem test, and here it says, at the top of the screen: Z2 memory detetcted 8192kB.
the test is running and it reached more than 5000kB without errors. Not sure what's going on here...
I will go back and recheck all ram chip solderings and connectivity with bus points.

BTW, in the TF530's current state, only diagrom boots. Ordinary kickstart yields white screen and blinking keyboard led.
Time to see if it just boots to workbench.
Old 06 October 2018, 20:28   #3590
CRP

Nope, with kickstart it won't work: white screen (I think, have only monochrome hooked up currently) and blinking power led.

But I just finished checking all RAM CPLD and chip pins, and I found that A3 on RAM chip 1 does not make contact. In my experience, it is quite difficult to find these issues visually, and the only way is by checking continuity between the upper part of the chip leg (where it goes into the case) and the opposite end of the trace. I loaded the pcb layout files into easyeda in order to identify all trace paths easily. Again, finding bad solder spots visually is very difficult. Here is a microscope shot of the spot at issue:

I believe that the only clue in this case is that the solder pad below the leg is brighter than other pads that are effectively covered with solder.

Last edited by CRP; 07 October 2018 at 12:23.
Old 07 October 2018, 15:37   #3591
CRP

Another update on my efforts:

I fixed the unsoldered ram chip pin, now they should all be fine.
At this point, if I install the TF530 in the A500 with kickstart 1.3, upon powering on I get briefly the kickstart splash screen, followed by a guru meditation: #30068014.00000000. I understand this should point to an error in the bootstrap sequence, but have no idea what exactly might be wrong. With the stock 68k processor there is not guru meditation.

Upon clicking left mouse button this behaviour repeats indefinitely.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by CRP; 07 October 2018 at 15:42.
Old 07 October 2018, 17:41   #3592
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Another update on my efforts:

Any suggestions?
There is still a RAM issue if that happens. Is the FPU on?
Old 07 October 2018, 17:47   #3593
CRP

Quote:
There is still a RAM issue if that happens. Is the FPU on?
No, I did not even install the socket. The board now looks like this:

Thanks for your help!
Old 07 October 2018, 18:11   #3594
EzdineG

It doesn’t look like the clock jumper is bridged in the photo. Shouldn’t it be?
Old 07 October 2018, 18:25   #3595
CRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzdineG View Post
It doesn’t look like the clock jumper is bridged in the photo. Shouldn’t it be?
It is bridged, the actual bridge is just on the other side
Old 07 October 2018, 19:18   #3596
plasmab
Banned

Those 25C spec CPUs dont overclock much. Is that a 33Mhz crystal on there?

Also not liking the soldering on the regulator. I can also see one suspect pin on the resistor array next to it.. second from the left on the bottom row as we look at it in that picture.

Out of curiousity.. why did you put the 68000 socket header on upside down? I dont think thats your issue im just curious.
Old 07 October 2018, 19:31   #3597
CRP

Quote:
Those 25C spec CPUs dont overclock much. Is that a 33Mhz crystal on there?
The oscillator is 25 MHz, I am trying to go as safe as possible. I also tried one of my other 030 cpus, rated 33 MHz, and nothing changed.

Quote:
Also not liking the soldering on the regulator. I can also see one suspect pin on the resistor array next to it.. second from the left on the bottom row as we look at it in that picture.
I can detect continuity between all pins (taken where the leg exits the component case) and where the trace leads to, so they appear to be fine. In any case I will add some solder for peace of mind.

Quote:
Out of curiousity.. why did you put the 68000 socket header on upside down? I dont think thats your issue im just curious.
You mean the JP3 and JP5 header? I had a piece of 2x20 pins that I recycled, and they fit better this way. But I know that the any jumpers there need to go in the other sense

I just finished re-checking all ram chips for shorts and continuity, and they check out fine, so I am inclined to exclude soldering issues there. Again, the procedure to check is put one probe of the multimeter on e.g. the contact at the right extreme of the CPU socket, which corresponds to D8, and the other probe on leg 14 of ram chip 1(second from top), touching the leg near where it exits the chip case, without applying too much pressure. I repeat this for all contacts, using the pcb file as a guide.
Old 07 October 2018, 20:41   #3598
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

donno is this the issue, but there are bridges on RN3...
Old 07 October 2018, 21:18   #3599
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Bit Dreams View Post
donno is this the issue, but there are bridges on RN3...

Those are all connected anyways
Old 07 October 2018, 21:19   #3600
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
The oscillator is 25 MHz, I am trying to go as safe as possible. I also tried one of my other 030 cpus, rated 33 MHz, and nothing changed.

I can detect continuity between all pins (taken where the leg exits the component case) and where the trace leads to, so they appear to be fine. In any case I will add some solder for peace of mind.

You mean the JP3 and JP5 header? I had a piece of 2x20 pins that I recycled, and they fit better this way. But I know that the any jumpers there need to go in the other sense

I just finished re-checking all ram chips for shorts and continuity, and they check out fine, so I am inclined to exclude soldering issues there. Again, the procedure to check is put one probe of the multimeter on e.g. the contact at the right extreme of the CPU socket, which corresponds to D8, and the other probe on leg 14 of ram chip 1(second from top), touching the leg near where it exits the chip case, without applying too much pressure. I repeat this for all contacts, using the pcb file as a guide.

No the pins on 68000 socket. You have the pins physically upside down.