English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 31 March 2015, 05:36   #21
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Thing is more chips = more money spent on a board that may still not work.

I would consider replacing the board for a known working one. (Just my opinion)
Old 31 March 2015, 11:15   #22
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
Can you use the chip from the ODD in the EVEN? When I tried it om my A500+ once, it wouldn't boot.
Yes, the two CIA chips are identical, so if switching them around changes the error, it is likely that the problem is with one of them. Actually, the Amiga should be able to get to the KS screen without one of the CIA chips, so if it has a problem getting there, this is also a way to test which of the two chips are. You just won't be able to boot since the floppy won't be working due to the missing CIA.

Edit: Actually, with a few modifications, a CIA chip from a C64 can be used in an A500. It is almost the same chip and both are clocked with 1MHz. It is not something that I would recommend doing today though, but some people used that trick back in the day to troubleshoot their Amigas since they often had an unused C64 lying around.
Old 31 March 2015, 14:49   #23
kipper2k

airey36 on ebay.co.uk always has a supply of CIA chips, its worth a couple of quid to find out if thats the problem. Sometimes he may not have them advertised so you can email him a request
Old 19 April 2015, 23:02   #24
djukon

Another one bites the 8000 000B

I'll be darned, my A500+ was working last week and today I got the same error.

I would like to know if this is an issue one needs to quickly fix in a few days/weeks to avoid further deterioration, or if the board can be left alone for a few months until I have more available time to fix it? I should note the battery had been removed many years ago.
Old 12 July 2016, 01:21   #25
djukon

Thumbs up Fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by djukon View Post
I'll be darned, my A500+ was working last week and today I got the same error.
Finally I got around to this. I just unplugged and plugged the keyboard and floppy connector cables, and then just softly wiggled the socketed chips to see if any was a little loose (none was). I'm not sure exactly what the issue was.
Old 12 July 2016, 02:13   #26
idrougge

If the battery has leaked, your board will need a thorough cleanup or the residue will continue to eat away at the board.
Old 16 July 2016, 12:43   #27
djukon

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
If the battery has leaked, your board will need a thorough cleanup or the residue will continue to eat away at the board.
Thanks for the tip, idrougge, could be that. How do I do a proper thorough cleanup? With isopropyl alcohol? If so with what kind of fabric/tool?
Old 16 July 2016, 12:49   #28
demolition
Unregistered User

I use lemon juice or vinegar on the affected areas to neutralise the alkali from the battery and then I rinse it all off thoroughly with demineralised water (lemon juice/vinegar will also damage the pcb if left for an extended time but it can be removed fairly easy with water as long as it has not had time to dry).
Old 16 July 2016, 12:56   #29
djukon

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I use lemon juice or vinegar on the affected areas to neutralise the alkali from the battery and then I rinse it all off thoroughly with demineralised water (lemon juice/vinegar will also damage the pcb if left for an extended time but it can be removed fairly easy with water as long as it has not had time to dry).
Thanks, demolition. Regular white wine vinegar, right? (apple cider vinegar is an alternative) And the fabric/tool to use? Regular cotton swabs?
Old 16 July 2016, 13:06   #30
demolition
Unregistered User

I just use plain vinegar without sugary stuff in it, but I guess the other stuff should work fine. You'll notice the stickyness then if you don't get it cleaned off properly.

If you see small bubbles forming in the vinegar, it tells you that there was alkali remains left on the board.

Cotton swabs should do fine for the vinegar application, although for the final water rinsing I use a regular soft dish brush.
Old 16 July 2016, 13:32   #31
djukon

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I just use plain vinegar without sugary stuff in it, but I guess the other stuff should work fine. You'll notice the stickyness then if you don't get it cleaned off properly.

If you see small bubbles forming in the vinegar, it tells you that there was alkali remains left on the board.

Cotton swabs should do fine for the vinegar application, although for the final water rinsing I use a regular soft dish brush.
Thanks again, Demolition. Should get it done this weekend.
Old 16 July 2016, 15:10   #32
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by djukon View Post
Thanks for the tip, idrougge, could be that. How do I do a proper thorough cleanup? With isopropyl alcohol? If so with what kind of fabric/tool?
First an acid, then alcohol.

If you see green-blue junk on any component, it needs to be removed, cleaned and possibly replaced since the junk will be working away below the components.
Old 17 July 2016, 13:01   #33
djukon

Quote:
First an acid, then alcohol.
Thanks, idrougge.

Quote:
If you see green-blue junk on any component, it needs to be removed, cleaned and possibly replaced since the junk will be working away below the components.
What about soaking the affected area in acid (to get to the "working away below" area), then rinsing it off with isopropyl alcohol?
Old 17 July 2016, 15:40   #34
idrougge

You can't expect the fluids to do all work beneath a soldered-in component, wash away the residue and vapourise by themselves.
Old 17 July 2016, 17:21   #35
djukon

Quote:
You can't expect the fluids to do all work beneath a soldered-in component, wash away the residue and vapourise by themselves.
idrougge, what do you mean by "vapourise by themselves"? Let the isopropyl alcohol or distilled water evaporate after rinsing?
Old 18 July 2016, 05:45   #36
idrougge

While alcohol will vapourise, it won't necessarily be what's beneath every component unless you wash your board in a washing machine filled with a hundred litres of alcohol.