English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 26 April 2011, 00:39   #101
jimmy2x2x
Beyond Mutton

My favourite MD tune [ Show youtube player ]

For me I loved both machines, but Nintendo's censorship, restrictions and made-for-angelic-children philosophy really hit a nerve with me - so I would have to choose Megadrive!
Old 26 April 2011, 01:05   #102
thgill

Liked and had both machines, but probably had a tad more interest in the SNES.

Though in hindsight I never much cared for many of the overly pastel colored games on the SNES. Genesis /Megadrive typically used these hard edged, darker colors and the SNES developers seemed obsessed with rainbow colors in everything.

Both great systems with fantastic exclusive games and ports.

Might pick up another Genesis and some games one of these days.
Old 26 April 2011, 01:11   #103
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

I like both the Snes and Megadrive... But i'll always choose the Megadrive if i had to make that decision
Old 26 April 2011, 03:18   #104
stefcep2

SNES. The games just seem smoother, the graphics sharper. The Nitenod exclusives, the Street Fighter games, most ports looked and played better than they did on the Megadrive

But I STILL don't get all the hoopla about Super Mario Kart, it looks rubbish, I've heard it uses some special graphics mode and is "3D", but I just can't see it, and the gameplay I find boring and hard to control. But then I still don't get Sonic either, so maybe its me.
Old 26 April 2011, 04:00   #105
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Mode-7 never impressed me at all. I thought it looked rubbish. The only driving game that impressed me on the SNES was stunt race FX.

I had neither console but would play them at friends houses and always thought the megadrive had more adult type games and the SNES the kiddy stuff. Nothing wrong with kiddy stuff, just a general observation.
Old 26 April 2011, 09:22   #106
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

You just have to own a console that has a game like Power Piggs of the Dark Age in its library
Old 26 April 2011, 11:30   #107
Bloodwych

Owned both systems and they are both awesome! You just had to have an A500, SNES and Megadrive to get the best out of gaming back then. The systems and games felt so different, whilst many PS3 and 360 titles are carbon copies of one another. Shame the carts were hyper expensive. Still, it meant you got the best out of every game and appreciated playing each one.

Megadrive had exclusives like Super/Revenge of Shinobi (brilliant tunes and gameplay), top arcade ports like Golden Axe (near perfect port), some excellent shooters, darker more serious titles with higher resolution but fewer colours. Probably some of the best midi music of the time! The controller, graphics, sound and games all felt unique to the system and of course it was released first, so really impressed in arcade ports and style games compared to the Amiga.

In comparision to the Megadrive, the SNES had more bright colourful Nintendo style games, 256 colours, good graphics hardware and combined with Mode-7 allowed superiour visuals in many cases in comparision to the Megadrive ...... but lower resolution and a poorer CPU affected some games making them worse, completely different sound (better in my opinion) and the better controller. Also the best Street Fighter II port for its time (although the Megadrive followed up eventually in a close second), helped a lot by its native six button controller.

Super Mario World is a work of art, Mario Kart two player and F-Zero - loved them. The Mode-7 effect was brilliant for the time. I thought it worked quite well in racers - the only other option was the Lotus type scrolling road effect, which would have made F-Zero and Mario Kart much worse. Part of the appeal in those games was scraping around corners using the top shoulder buttons, which rotated the track Mode-7 style, seeking out every last bit of pace from a lap. Really felt like seat of the pants racing. Mastering Bowser and Donkey Kong also took some serious skill and practice. Of course, it was used to great effect not just in racers (which some people above thought looked bad - to be fair it does by today's standards), but in games to scale, zoom and twist levels and warp enemies. It made for some unique gaming effects only seen on the SNES.

Just thinking about the top games on each system - so hard to compare. So different in the look and feel. I still would have had to have both back in the day! But never would have given up my Amiga for either!

What I hated about both systems was running in PAL 50Hz mode - slower games, squashed screens with borders - especially bad on the SNES. On the Amiga, PAL systems were better due to greater game support and the extra resolution came in handy. Plus we could switch many games to 60Hz if required.

On the consoles of the time, 60Hz systems were just plain better. Thankfully, with modern consoles, we've left all that nonsense behind.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 26 April 2011 at 13:27.
Old 26 April 2011, 13:12   #108
Jgames

Both are great, but technically, the Megadrive is more powerfull (bigger resolution, and more CPU power).
If no one played Contra:Hard cops on the megadrive, then he should do it now quickly ;

This is the best action game on the megadrive, and the most incredible action game on any 16 bit machine.

And about music, this boss theme from eswat on the megadrive is great music, a must listen.
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 26 April 2011, 14:11   #109
BrooksterMax

Back in the 90s, I was a SEGA purpose so it was the Megadrive II for me with the Mega CD. Nothing came close to beating Sonic 2, especially when my cousin used to visit and the 2 player Sonic games lasted for hours.

I did envy Konami Superstar soccer on a friends SNES, FIFA was ok but ISS Deluxe on the SNES was king.
Old 26 April 2011, 18:26   #110
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Ugh!!!, that version of donkey kong country on megadrive is slow and colors suck big time!!!
Old 26 April 2011, 18:32   #111
thgill

Everyone knows the Sega 16 bitter was better.

It had [ Show youtube player ]
Old 26 April 2011, 20:24   #112
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Yes and the Mega Drive had Michael Jackson!!!
Old 09 May 2011, 14:44   #113
trip2themoon

Deffo the SNES. Despite having a Mario 1up mushroom and picking the SNES I'm not a Nintendo fanboy. My first good system was a Master System and was an upgrade from a 2600.

I had both and while I found the MD great I found the SNES to be mind blowing. Games like Contra 3, Castlevania 4 and Rtype 3 still look beautiful today and the SNES was the first system to really bring the arcade experience home with fantastic conversions of SF2 and Final Fight. I don't care what anyone says Final Fight>Streets of Rage. Any time a game came out for both it always seemed to look, sound and play better on the SNES. Mortal Kombat was almost arcade perfect on the SNES but to Nintendo fanboys I have one word: DULLARD.

To anyone who says the MD has better sound I guess you've never heard the stunning organ effect in stage 2 of Axelay or the pounding drums when scaling the clock tower in Castlevania 4. Had both (still have both) and loved both, but for arcade conversions and the work of Shegeru Miyamoto the SNES just edges it...

Old 09 May 2011, 14:49   #114
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip2themoon View Post
...and the SNES was the first system to really bring the arcade experience home with fantastic conversions of SF2 and Final Fight.
Ever heard of the NeoGeo?
Old 09 May 2011, 15:03   #115
trip2themoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Ever heard of the NeoGeo?
LOL. God, that was well out of my price range mate...

Old 09 May 2011, 15:13   #116
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Just thought I mention it when someone puts the words 'arcade', 'experience', 'home', and 'first' in one sentence Oh and yes, I had one and it was nice to see people drool when they played Samurai Showdown on it
Old 09 May 2011, 15:22   #117
trip2themoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Just thought I mention it when someone puts the words 'arcade', 'experience', 'home', and 'first' in one sentence Oh and yes, I had one and it was nice to see people drool when they played Samurai Showdown on it
Loved playing this at the Big Apple at the west end of Paisley, but one day when my mate got his student grant he bought it along with a Neo Geo CD...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid
What I hated about both systems was running in PAL 50Hz mode - slower games, squashed screens with borders - especially bad on the SNES. On the Amiga, PAL systems were better due to greater game support and the extra resolution came in handy. Plus we could switch many games to 60Hz if required.

On the consoles of the time, 60Hz systems were just plain better. Thankfully, with modern consoles, we've left all that nonsense behind.
One of the best things I ever bought was my US SNES...

Old 09 May 2011, 15:24   #118
mike4466

I never had a snes or megadrive in its hayday but i had a legend computer called the amiga instead which utterly F*****G destroyed the snes and megadrive.
But having played them both on emulators for over 10 years the snes seems to have the edge for me.
Old 09 May 2011, 15:28   #119
trip2themoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike4466 View Post
I never had a snes or megadrive in its hayday but i had a legend computer called the amiga instead which utterly F*****G destroyed the snes and megadrive.
But having played them both on emulators for over 10 years the snes seems to have the edge for me.
I played your legendary computer's SF2. Down then up for a dragon punch...

Desert Dream by Laxity though: Chooooooooooooooooooooooon. No other demo could/would ever top this..

Old 09 May 2011, 16:01   #120
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
SNES!
My first game I played on snes was TMNT, was a great time
My favorite game ever on Snes is Yoshi's Island

Yoshis island is one of my fav games of all time on any system.

Cant believe what a let down yoshis story was on the N64