Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 26 September 2019, 17:20   #361
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
549 for an Amiga emulator?
Old 09 October 2019, 02:19   #362
SaphirJD

Stand-alone... why not, sounds interesting for sure.
Old 09 October 2019, 12:07   #363
ronybeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Agree.
I am not really sure what people expected. You get a completely new processor that was developed over the last years, completely new comp. I expected somewhat bigger price.
I hope I'll save some money next year, to get one.
Exactly my thoughts. The market price for an A1200 plus 060 is more than double this.........if you can find one. Those who complain that the V4 is too expensive were never going to buy one anyway, regardless of the price.
Old 09 October 2019, 12:11   #364
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

It's the newest 68K Amiga since the AGA machines in 1993.
Plus you get a case, mouse and keyboard with it.
Old 09 October 2019, 17:13   #365
slaapliedje

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronybeck View Post
Exactly my thoughts. The market price for an A1200 plus 060 is more than double this.........if you can find one. Those who complain that the V4 is too expensive were never going to buy one anyway, regardless of the price.
Ha, then there are those that have been waiting for this forever and would buy it regardless of the price.

Funny thing is, this is right around the price I expected the A1222, but that one still is not to be found, unless there is another special announcement there?
Old 10 October 2019, 16:11   #366
kriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
Mouse and keyboard is only with the Amiga34 special edition sold at that event ..
Old 10 October 2019, 17:22   #367
slaapliedje

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz View Post
Mouse and keyboard is only with the Amiga34 special edition sold at that event ..
Has there been no one who is going to sell a bundle with it afterward? I definitely want one, even though I already have a Vamped A500+, but I think having an all in one that doesn't depend on old hardware surrounding it would be the way to go.
Old 10 October 2019, 17:50   #368
cloverskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
Has there been no one who is going to sell a bundle with it afterward? I definitely want one, even though I already have a Vamped A500+, but I think having an all in one that doesn't depend on old hardware surrounding it would be the way to go.
Part of me agrees with this, another part of me feels like this is WinUAE. I'm curious if there's a world where there's some sort of PPC addon in the future or compatibility with gpus that include Warp3D capability. Beyond that...I admit I want one, but not sure I can justify it.
Old 10 October 2019, 19:17   #369
slaapliedje

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverskull View Post
Part of me agrees with this, another part of me feels like this is WinUAE. I'm curious if there's a world where there's some sort of PPC addon in the future or compatibility with gpus that include Warp3D capability. Beyond that...I admit I want one, but not sure I can justify it.
Hmm, that's a good point about Warp3D. So here's kind of my thoughts on this;
Right now i have the most compatible A4000 I think is possible to build. 060 with PPC, so I can run OS4.1 and 3.9 (though still haven't figured out why USB on the RapidRoad won't work in 4.1 yet, I do have all the hardware working besides that in both operating systems).

So PPC brings access to a small amount of software that works in 3.9 and compatibility with 4.1 (but I wonder if something like the Vampire could work with it, since it is very particular with what it'll boot on).

With that in mind, with all the hardware in my desktop 4000, it is kind of janky at times. We would probably need to emulate a Voodoo for Warp3D, right? or one of the Zorro boards that support it. UNLESS SAGA gets a Warp3D driver, which would be amazing, but I'm not sure how much of it supports 3D acceleration. I do think Warp3D/Hardware acceleration would be more useful than PPC. Also far more likely to happen, one would think.

I will say IBrowse 2.5 on the vampire is quite a bit faster than it is on the 060@50 (to be expected). I need to test it out on the PPC and see how IBrowse / Netsurf compare. I'd assume the PPC (at 420MHZ) will just shame the 68080 at whatever speed the Vampire 500 V2 runs at (I think it's 150? I'd have to look again).
Old 11 October 2019, 02:16   #370
Ledfoot

Quote:
There will be 3rd party retailers/resellers - see vesalia.de for one, amedia-computer.com for another. They probably will sell as a full kit similar to how the A34 kits are, but it's not required. The first production batch (remember, this is a small group, so they can't afford to have 100's made at a time... more like 10's at a time) all went to the A34 event. The second production batch is supposed to go to resellers. But alas, both have had "preorder reservation" pages up since July, so if you add your name today you're probably going to be waiting a while...

Hopefully the resellers will get boards before the end of October, but that's just a hope, not based on any information I've seen...

Waiting sucks!
Old 11 October 2019, 04:08   #371
slaapliedje

It's all good, in the meantime I'm running DiskDoctor on my hard drive that for some reason comes up corrupted (I'm betting it's because I need to update the GAL for the Buster 11). So I've got plenty of Amiga fun to keep me busy until the Vamp stand alone is out
Old 12 October 2019, 22:06   #372
Ledfoot

Ok, so the first 32 of them were sold in < 1 hour this morning at A34... Let's see who posts first about their experiences with it! (lucky b*stards!)

Apollo team won the community award from the A34 show.

Let's hope they can get the 2nd production run batch made quickly and out to the resellers so the rest of us can start getting our hands on them soon.
Old 14 October 2019, 17:03   #373
ciVic

I'm one of the buyer at A34. All buyers were informed that they were not able to finish the core as they would like to and that the core still contains bugs and the system is unstable. So, I can confirm that the system is still unstable and crashes depending on what you are doing. But I can say, they do their best to help you, especially the IRC chat is helpful and on Sunday my system was far more stable.

However, I was also worried if the systems feels like an emulator. It does not, it feels like a real Amiga as you boot the system like a real Amiga and never see overlays to insert disks or configure the system. Now I'm waiting patiently for upcoming fixed cores and support for the onboard ethernet.

Last edited by ciVic; 14 October 2019 at 17:12.
Old 14 October 2019, 17:34   #374
slaapliedje

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciVic View Post
I'm one of the buyer at A34. All buyers were informed that they were not able to finish the core as they would like to and that the core still contains bugs and the system is unstable. So, I can confirm that the system is still unstable and crashes depending on what you are doing. But I can say, they do their best to help you, especially the IRC chat is helpful and on Sunday my system was far more stable.

However, I was also worried if the systems feels like an emulator. It does not, it feels like a real Amiga as you boot the system like a real Amiga and never see overlays to insert disks or configure the system. Now I'm waiting patiently for upcoming fixed cores and support for the onboard ethernet.
That's a shame. I understand getting hardware out there so people can have a play with it is really important though, and also will probably help out a lot with getting the new core completed and more stable.

I was just hoping that I'd be able to play with it on my V2+ while I wait for my V4.
Old 14 October 2019, 20:28   #375
Juz400

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciVic View Post

Did you have a little 2 man tent set up a couple days before A34?
Great news that you got yourself one of the most lusted after bits of Amiga hardware in years!
Please, throw as much at it as you have time for, keep the Team informed of bugs n stuff!
Any idea if someone who does a bit of Asm coding have picked up? I REALLY want to see what can be done with the power on tap!
Hoping to pick one up next year
Old 14 October 2019, 20:33   #376
AmigaHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
Hey! Don't forget the A4000T in 1994. Sure it was still just an AGA machine, but it was a wholly new design based on the same chipset. There was also the Draco. Fully AmigaOS-compatible 68060 system, just no custom chipset so could only run totally system-friendly software.

Also there were the weird Chinese set-top boxes that I've only ever seen pictures of.

(Also I think the CD32 was the only AGA machine to release in 1993. The A1200 and A4000 were released in 1992).
Old 14 October 2019, 22:52   #377
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
That's a shame. I understand getting hardware out there so people can have a play with it is really important though
Not a shame, it's in the finest Amiga tradition!

I bought an A1000 in 1987 and the firmware (V1.1) still wasn't finished 2 years after the machine was released. So it came with a huge (and expensive) daughterboard that 'emulated' the ROM! But the good thing was that when new firmware came out you didn't need a hardware upgrade. Imagine if they had also emulated the CPU and custom chips in an FPGA... I bet they would have if they could.
Old 31 October 2019, 00:38   #378
Ledfoot

I chatted with Gunnar last night on IRC and it sounds like they are bringing another batch of boards for sale to some Amiga or gaming show in France this weekend. (Sorry I don't remember the name of it).

So, if you're going to be attending or are in France and want to try to get one, here's your chance!

They are hoping to get things stable enough to release a bunch more by December timeframe. There was also a new core to try out released last night...
Old 31 October 2019, 08:44   #379
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Gunnar is a really nice chap to talk to in real life.
Had a very nice chat with him at the dinner after Amiga34.

After I got a V1200, I wanna incorporate some SAGA functionalities into a dedicated vamp version of Inviyya.
Old 31 October 2019, 08:58   #380
ShK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledfoot View Post
I chatted with Gunnar last night on IRC and it sounds like they are bringing another batch of boards for sale to some Amiga or gaming show in France this weekend. (Sorry I don't remember the name of it).
Alchemy 13. https://www.triplea.fr/alchimie/pages/index.php