English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 19 January 2014, 02:19   #1
Graham Humphrey

EAB/Lemon Super League 2014: Round 1 - Crazy Cars III

EAB/Lemon Super League 2014: Round 1 - Crazy Cars III

Starts: 00:01 January 19 Finishes: 23:59 February 8

Rules

Post a picture of your score here with the score written underneath. Enter as often as you like. Only scores achieved during the round's time frame count.

Add up your score (multiplied by 100) and total money from Division 4 (first map) ONLY. You may need to grab a screenshot during gameplay to get your score.

The winner of this round gets to play an additional game of their choice in Round 2.

No cheating of any kind (including score leeching) - this includes save states. No continues/passwords allowed. If you suspect anyone of cheating please let us know in private - anyone found guilty will be banned for the entire season.

Remember, anyone can join in at any time. Have fun and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Downloads

- Disk 1, Disk 2
- WHDLoad-installed

Extras

- Full rules and FAQ (incorporating the Hall of Fame)
- Lemon thread
- Live League Ladder

Last edited by Graham Humphrey; 20 January 2014 at 08:59.
Old 19 January 2014, 02:20   #2
Graham Humphrey

Not sure this is an ideal solution for scoring this game, due to it potentially being difficult to get your score...
Old 19 January 2014, 05:28   #3
Ze Emulatron

Maybe something to do with the amount of races won and score, it would require 2 screenshots though.

Eg. I raced 3 and won 3 races

Score 2,585

I raced 1 and won 0 races

I didn't check if I had a score for this run.
Old 19 January 2014, 14:55   #4
vagrant

Strange round to kick off the year
So I take it the idea is to get the most score & money as possible prior to the first 'division challenge'?
How does the money affect your overall round score?

Anyway my first attempt:
Score - 10,199
Money - 101,600

BTW I recommend taking screens of the map in between races.. if you crash out your score is not displayed (found this out the hard way).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	182.png
Views:	266
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	38688  
Old 19 January 2014, 15:33   #5
lifeschool
Local Moderator

I just noticed taking a screenshot IN GAME does NOT show the money, only score, but final money screen is shown at the end, so this would indeed require x2 screenshots.

The options are: take shots of the map screen only (before every race) and use Score + Money. The game over point is when only the Division Challenge star remains on the map. And as Graham suggests, taking a screenshot of your final score can be gained during the game itself at death point, and added to the money from the previous map. Press F10 to pause.

OR use Ze's idea (for example Raced * Won * 10,000 + Money) which would require two screenshots at game over (table and money) or at the end of the 16 races (table + map screen showing one star remaining and money). Score could be substituted for money as a variable by taking a screenshot of the game and then the final championship table. Not having money or score included might lead to a 16 x16 lockout situation.

At this point, the map screen option seems less complex,

But as always, I'm truely open to scrapping the score + money idea if its actually rotten. Half of my ideas are genius, the other half get me into trouble. True story.

Last edited by lifeschool; 19 January 2014 at 18:38.
Old 19 January 2014, 21:01   #6
Cpt. Hindsight

I guess, I'd better not voted (as Akabei on LemonAmiga) for Crazy Cars III. It looks like a lot of hassle about the scoring.
Don't get me wrong, I voted for it, because I like the game, I think it's really nice and I'll definitely post a score.

But:
- It takes some time to get into it.
- It takes even more time to get a descent score. (that's OK, if you don't have to play for hundreds of hours)
- The scoring system is some kind of obscure

I don't think this game will help to generate new competitors.

Is there a thread like this here or on Lemon?
I'd post there: "Indianapolis 500 would be a fine selection, because you just need 40 seconds to get a score. That would be a good idea for a restart of the Super League. Every newcomer would habe been able to post a descent score after maybe half an hour of practise and the pros would still be able to post better scores because of their ability.

I know, it's too late and the wrong place. Just my two cents.
Old 20 January 2014, 00:45   #7
vagrant

My vote goes to the simplest option.
Screenshots from the map screen only.
Score * 100 + money.. (total wins ignored since you score more in 1st anyway)
Old 20 January 2014, 01:39   #8
Ze Emulatron

Isnt money received by getting places in the races and beating the other people who bid before the races ? Had 3 practice attempts and not once did the people bid the same amount on the same races, so that seems to be generated randomly. Money is also spent on entering races,fixing the car and possibly upgrades.
Old 20 January 2014, 03:23   #9
TroelsDK
Registered Amiga Maniac

I love this game!

My 1st try made me 13.548 points and 93.600$

EDIT: New rules ; multiply by a 100 + $ : 13.548 x 100 + 93.600 = 1.448.400

Took pictures throughout the entire game as evidence
All pictures here

Last edited by TroelsDK; 21 January 2014 at 00:00.
Old 20 January 2014, 05:21   #10
vagrant

Nice score Troels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Emulatron View Post
Isnt money received by getting places in the races and beating the other people who bid before the races ? Had 3 practice attempts and not once did the people bid the same amount on the same races, so that seems to be generated randomly. Money is also spent on entering races,fixing the car and possibly upgrades.
Yeh exactly, I guess the money is a nice kicker for the overall score and it's the player's decision whether to spend the money on upgrades or hold onto it for a bigger bonus
I think some of the races are impossible to finish 1st without upgrading.
Old 20 January 2014, 08:58   #11
Graham Humphrey

That's a great idea who - so we will opt for Score, multiplied by 100 and then add your money total. This puts more emphasis on doing well in races and less on the gambling element, although if you have a lot of cash it's a little bonus.

So please post your total scores with that formula folks!

Total - 764,200
Old 20 January 2014, 09:27   #12
Ze Emulatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
That's a great idea who - so we will opt for Score, multiplied by 100 and then add your money total. This puts more emphasis on doing well in races and less on the gambling element, although if you have a lot of cash it's a little bonus.

So please post your total scores with that formula folks!

Total - 764,200
Is that score correct ? It looks like score = 7,213 and money = $36,900, (7,213 * 100) + 36,900 = 758,200.
Old 20 January 2014, 14:46   #13
vagrant

Score - 12,321
$$$ - 188,000

= 1,420,100

Hmm.. change of strategy pending
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	185.png
Views:	271
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	38696  
Old 20 January 2014, 19:14   #14
TroelsDK
Registered Amiga Maniac

Quote:
Nice score Troels
Thanks Who

You are not doing so bad your self I see
Old 20 January 2014, 19:47   #15
Graham Humphrey

Was pushed for time this morning so a couple of points to answer.

Firstly welcome TroelsDK into the fold! Hopefully you will become a regular competitor, it's a fun competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Emulatron View Post
Is that score correct ? It looks like score = 7,213 and money = $36,900, (7,213 * 100) + 36,900 = 758,200.
Whoops! You are of course correct. I somehow got it wrong even on a calculator...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Hindsight View Post
I guess, I'd better not voted (as Akabei on LemonAmiga) for Crazy Cars III. It looks like a lot of hassle about the scoring.
Don't get me wrong, I voted for it, because I like the game, I think it's really nice and I'll definitely post a score.

But:
- It takes some time to get into it.
- It takes even more time to get a descent score. (that's OK, if you don't have to play for hundreds of hours)
- The scoring system is some kind of obscure

I don't think this game will help to generate new competitors.

Is there a thread like this here or on Lemon?
I'd post there: "Indianapolis 500 would be a fine selection, because you just need 40 seconds to get a score. That would be a good idea for a restart of the Super League. Every newcomer would habe been able to post a descent score after maybe half an hour of practise and the pros would still be able to post better scores because of their ability.

I know, it's too late and the wrong place. Just my two cents.
Yes, it is one of those games that needs some time to dedicate to it. In that respect you're probably right that it's not an ideal choice purely in terms of being the first game of the season and trying to bump the interest which tailed off towards the end of last year. And the scoring system isn't the simplest.

We don't have a thread exactly like that but Lifeschool and Harry did run a couple of threads some time back detailing the games we hadn't played yet, there's still plenty out there to choose from - Indy 500 must have been mentioned somewhere.

CC3 is a superb game though and in my opinion is the best sprite-based racer on the Amiga. Just a shame we've had so many racing games as I kind of feel like I've had my fill of them in this competition.
Old 20 January 2014, 19:51   #16
TroelsDK
Registered Amiga Maniac

Quote:
Firstly welcome TroelsDK into the fold! Hopefully you will become a regular competitor, it's a fun competition
Thanks Graham

I'm always up for some gaming and competition, and will probably stay for a while
Old 20 January 2014, 21:09   #17
Nightbird

Howdy doody, Lemon's winged menace has arrived. Looking forward to facing off against you EABers this year!

Old 20 January 2014, 23:39   #18
Harry
HD Installer

11857 pts *100 + 136200 $

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CC3_11857_136200.png
Views:	245
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	38703  
Old 20 January 2014, 23:59   #19
lifeschool
Local Moderator

@ who - thanks for sorting out the scoring. Needed three brains on the task.
@ graham - a kind word about a racing game? I see you are already competetive...
@ cpt/hindsight akabei - CC3 won by a fair landslide, hopefully more interest to arrive as some of us have been waiting years for this game to come up.
Old 21 January 2014, 00:15   #20
gazj82

Well first go and I didn't even get to the end of division 4! I thought I was doing really well, won about 4 or 5 races! Then it all came crashing down, a 7th, and then next race busted by the cops! Game Over!