English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 01 June 2013, 08:50   #181
mailman
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcuz View Post
Abandoned Places was not so much frustrating because it was such a bad game that after spending some evening trying to figure it, i drop it. but it has been 100% frustration for those evenings.
I see that you have some sort of a hatred towards "Abandoned Places". This game is really rewarding. You just have to give a solid try. It may be frustrating but it is very original and unique and maybe these are the factors that sometimes put people off. I am not saying the game is brilliant. It is good - strong good.
Old 01 June 2013, 09:55   #182
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
I see that you have some sort of a hatred towards "Abandoned Places". This game is really rewarding. You just have to give a solid try. It may be frustrating but it is very original and unique and maybe these are the factors that sometimes put people off. I am not saying the game is brilliant. It is good - strong good.
There's something that attracts me of that game, I don't deny it; but it also goes against my every concept of good gameplay for dungeon crawling games.
On one side the visuals that look so wannabe horror / heavy metal (I hate heavy metal) that I need to play it, the various dungeons; on the other the unresponsive controls, the troublesome sound system for monster proximity, the punishing fights and characters' system, spells, the various dungeons (I know)... all of that make me want to stay well away of it.
Out of curiosity, have you played the original on real amiga? I know that the KG installed version on ClassicWB is laggy to the point of being unplayable.
Old 02 June 2013, 21:10   #183
Macca
Zone Friend

Treasure Island Dizzy has to be up there (especially when you forget the snorkel is at the top of your inventory or mis-jump into a trap).

I agree with Project X and would extend that to R-Type / Salamander / Nemesis / Blood Money as they're all steal your weapon upgrades and on later levels that makes you a sitting duck.

For me I think Lost Patrol is probably the worst. Had some really nice bits but so frustrating to play as somebody previously mentioned.

Shadow of the Beast 1/2 / Gods are up there as well mainly because I probably sucked at playing them.

M.
Old 03 June 2013, 09:28   #184
meynaf
son of 68k

Just about every game in existence is frustrating when you're totally stuck...
Old 03 June 2013, 14:38   #185
Djay
95th User

Xenon
Old 03 June 2013, 15:25   #186
Zak
Zap´em

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmiq View Post
Indianapolis 500, Yessss I also did the turn-around and crash thing. Super game by the way, the gameplay with low graphics really hit the sky!
Nice game!
I tried hard to find a fast setup, but the car was so difficult to control, I always had a crash if not fully concentrated. But I was a lucky man finding a setup which was 95% quick but error-tolerant enough to win all races, including the 500 miles. I think it took about 2,5 to 3 hours of driving to win the 500 miles and I will always remember.

The most frustrating game was a shoot´em up that I bought and it was so hard to play that it mostly laid in the closet, unused and was then given away to some fellow who loved it with his special extra featured joyboard. I really don´t remember the name of the game.

I had several frustrating games because the disks were easily damaged and I was doing the disk-copy from backup all the time. One of which was Moonstone, the other most frustrating of this kind was a role-playing-game and again I don´t remember the name.
Old 03 June 2013, 16:21   #187
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
He, I tried but I got stuck on the map screen Couldn't get anything moving at all! I loved the Amiga action demo back in the day, the Dungeon Mastery bits are quite good. I just wish I had learned to play the full version in the days where I was not spoiled by blindingly obvious and dumbed down game interfaces :/
Old 03 June 2013, 18:25   #188
fryguy

Terrys big adventure.. IIRC.. while you used your yoyo you slipped back a little.
Old 19 July 2013, 23:26   #189
n00w
Retired 1337

Any games on Amiga were ok imho. The worst ones for me were on CPC. Daley Thompson's Decathlon for instance. I broke a joystick in crushing it litterally on a chair. Manic Miner and its sequels Jet Set Willy 1 & 2, also, were particularly irritating!
Old 20 July 2013, 16:22   #190
dex
Eat Electric Death

Edit I wanted to write: I find it frustrating that STILL none of you finds the excellent but hard as nails Gods frustrating. Now that's frustration.

But one page back someone found it as frustrating as I do! However, I read Demon's Souls as a recent example of a frustrating game and well, I finished that one as well as the sequel Dark Souls - and I am STILL trying to finish Gods.

Now... I am frustrated again, I guess.
Old 25 July 2013, 22:02   #191
Djay
95th User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Edit I wanted to write: I find it frustrating that STILL none of you finds the excellent but hard as nails Gods frustrating. Now that's frustration.

But one page back someone found it as frustrating as I do! However, I read Demon's Souls as a recent example of a frustrating game and well, I finished that one as well as the sequel Dark Souls - and I am STILL trying to finish Gods.

Now... I am frustrated again, I guess.
I found Gods to be a matter of try and try again and see what works, once you learn the patterns its ok...

...Xenon too has patterns but they are designed to be annoying
Old 26 July 2013, 00:09   #192
MatteoM1990

Rise of the robots... nice AGA GFX, but the controls make this game boring.
Maybe the problem exists between chair and desk ??

Old 26 July 2013, 03:03   #193
Djay
95th User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatteoM1990 View Post
Rise of the robots... nice AGA GFX, but the controls make this game boring.
Maybe the problem exists between chair and desk ??
Nice gfx rubbish game play... you win every time by holding up-right and fire
Old 26 July 2013, 16:54   #194
dex
Eat Electric Death

@Djay: well, you are probably right and if you've finished Gods, you're also an excellent player Got to get back to Gods again, I guess...
Old 11 December 2013, 22:56   #195
dungeon.master

For me it's Defender of the Crown : good graphics, bad controls.

Old 12 December 2013, 02:21   #196
psygnosis

Robocop 2
Old 12 December 2013, 11:41   #197
RuySan

I have been trying to play Escape from Colditz and the game is incredibly frustrating. There's no way to save, and it's very easy to make the game unnwinable.
Old 21 January 2014, 00:55   #198
s2325
Zone Friend

Pit - great graphics and famous music from Delta but I can not finish even first level [ Show youtube player ] Is it even possible?
Old 21 January 2014, 03:10   #199
s2325
Zone Friend

Yes, it's PD and HBT-Dos v0.7 is fake OS. You can find it on EAB server /Commodore_Amiga/Misc/The Zone!/H/HB Test & The Pit & Solid Snake preview & Amiloyd 2.zip
Old 21 January 2014, 12:42   #200
nittamituaki
Cd32+Fdd User (CFU)

Edited**
I completed the game without cheats nor state-saving in 2016.
It's not the hardest one at least!!

Last edited by nittamituaki; 06 January 2018 at 12:35.