English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 15 February 2012, 11:56   #1
Vollldo

Double dragon 2 ECS fixed in "The Zone!"

Hi everyone here, i have a "little" present for you.

I just tested it on my ECS amiga 500 and apparently it works like a charm (i played the first level only).

I didn't test all the levels allthough, but i will certainly play it until the end to test it completely. And anyway, someone here will certainly do this before me to confirm that it is 100% working.

Well, what else to say ? If it works, it is AT LAST a playable ADF version on an ECS machine . What a pleasure to play to the amiga version after so many years with the ingame music (the tune air is the same than inthe cpc version, and therefore it is excellent).

So now, go to rape "The Zone!" to test it .

And report the results here.

Last edited by Vollldo; 15 February 2012 at 14:00.

Old 15 February 2012, 20:36   #2
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Ok, the result : This is the weetabix/oracle Crack of Double Dragon II, and this release is v3.84 ;

The Fixed ECS release is the v4.01 for which we don't have any crack yet.

Your Amiga 500 is an OCS machine....

Check here quoted from HOL :

[1] Version 3.84 of the game will only work correctly on OCS machines, due to an error made by the programmer, Richard Aplin. (One piece of code that sets the modulo was incorrect, making the game display improperly on ECS machines).

The right thing would be to crack the US release, which is version v4.16 to be used on PAL ECS amiga
Old 15 February 2012, 21:11   #3
Vollldo

No dennis, my A500 is an ecs machine, i have like everyone the corrupted gfx problem with the cracked versions of weetbix/oracle. The file i uploaded is based on the [b] version of weetabix/oracle adf who have gfx errors (but apparently is working on an ecs machine) but the gfx were replaced with some files taken from the other versions. I know what is the problem with this game, i wrote several times ln the concerned topic. This morning it is the first time after 20 years that i can play it on my amiga.

A test on WinUAE will confirm you this : it works on OCS and ECS, contrarily than the other cracked version . Same fact in my real ecs machine. Gfx well known garbage with the regular cracked version, but not with this one. It confirms what i was saying : a cracked version for ecs existed back in the days.

Last edited by Vollldo; 15 February 2012 at 21:35.

Old 15 February 2012, 21:38   #4
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Ah ok ! It's just a hack of the 3.84 version which the files of the v4.01.

But who did this hack ?
Old 15 February 2012, 22:09   #5
Vollldo

Here is the all story :

20 years ago, i had a cracked version of this game on my ECS amiga, perfectly working.
And like many others, i discovered the well known display problem with the weetabix/oracle in the TOSEC set when i tried to transfer it again nowodays.

But i was knowing that a cracked fixed version existed back in the days, because i owned it. So a few days ago, i tried to do something that i normally never do : i transfered the weetabix/oracle [b] cracked version. And really, what a surprise : no gfx garbage, just gfx errors that could be corrected. I was about to use ADF View to exchange the corrupted gfx files with the one taken from the not [b] weetabix/oracle version (without guarantee of course) but i looked for in google if someone had already done this. And bingo, i found someone who had already did the job. It was written what i had in front of my eyes on my A500 screen : "the [b] version is working on an ECS machine with gfx errors but some files remplacements are solving the problem". So i transfered the modified version and bingo, it worked like a charm . I wrote a message to StingRay to inform him about the news, and he learnt me that he actually already knew that a fixed version made by ACU was existing since ages. I asked him if the ACU fixed version had a matter with the [b] weetabix/oracle one and just a few second before answering you Dennis, i just checked the full name of the [b] disk (my disk had a short name that's why i didn't notice this) :

Double Dragon II (1990)(Virgin Mastertronic)[cr OCL][h ACU][t +2 OCL][b]

Dam !!! ACU !!! So i have my answer now StingRay lol, we are talking about the same disk .

That's why i uploaded it today, i think that many people simply don't know about the ACU version and it will make the day of many ECS users.

StingRay, thanks a lot again for the ACU information, if i had talked to you before about this topic, all would have been solved for everyone faster.

Now Dennis you can add this one to your set .

Of course, a real "regular" crack of the 4.01 version doesn't exist yet, but if the game is free about any errors (i didn't test it until the end, so this point has to be confirmed), we have a fixed adf.

Special note for my "compatriote" Dennis : jouer à DD2 sur Amiga avec l'air de musique que tu connais bien sur CPC (vive la touche F2 mdr), et bien c'est quelque chose !!!

Last edited by Vollldo; 15 February 2012 at 22:28.

Old 16 February 2012, 03:54   #6
DeafDaz
Deafdaz

got it vooldo mate
Old 16 February 2012, 07:22   #7
Vollldo

My pleasure DeafDaz . As it is trained, we will know very soon if this hack is 100% working. I bet than yes .

Old 25 July 2012, 16:42   #8
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Hi there, any chance of re-upping this version of DDII to the zone Vollldo? I have the WHDLoad version but that crashes every time at the game over screen.

Regards.
Old 25 July 2012, 17:28   #9
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
Hi there, any chance of re-upping this version of DDII to the zone Vollldo? I have the WHDLoad version but that crashes every time at the game over screen.

Regards.
Really?
Old 25 July 2012, 17:34   #10
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Quote:

Regards.
I've played it many times thorugh, maybe it's something in your machine config. What WHDLoad build are you using? Maybe file a bug report at Mantis...
Old 25 July 2012, 18:43   #11
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Ok I just ran the game again on my real machine and made a note of some of the details...

Double Dragon II WHDLoad version - V1.3

WHDLOAD 17.1.5 (current version, although seems to happen on versions 15.0 and up)

CPU 68030/50MHZ
MMU 68030
32 MB FAST RAM
AmigaOS version 3.1

Game quits back to WB after entering highscore name.

Error message:

Exception "Adress Error" ($B00C) at $2DF58 occured.
Old 25 July 2012, 23:55   #12
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Which version of the game? Watch the vertical scrolling credits and it will tell you the version number

Quote:
Ok I just ran the game again on my real machine and made a note of some of the details...

Double Dragon II WHDLoad version - V1.3

WHDLOAD 17.1.5 (current version, although seems to happen on versions 15.0 and up)

CPU 68030/50MHZ
MMU 68030
32 MB FAST RAM
AmigaOS version 3.1

Game quits back to WB after entering highscore name.

Error message:

Exception "Adress Error" ($B00C) at $2DF58 occured.
Old 26 July 2012, 00:12   #13
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Which version of the game? Watch the vertical scrolling credits and it will tell you the version number
The credits reveal it's version 4.01 (ecs). I have tried various tool type settings, NOCACHE, NOAUTOVEC and so on but that doesnt seem to help.
Old 26 July 2012, 03:27   #14
lesta_smsc

Sorry to bring back an old post - but other than 'corrupted' crack intro/trainer, the game used to run fine. However, if someone can up this version - I can finally see what all the fuss what about
Old 26 July 2012, 08:29   #15
TjLaZer

Here is the ACU version.

ftp://ftp%40magix.ws:ftp%40magix.ws@...+2%20OCL%5D.7z
Old 26 July 2012, 11:48   #16
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
The credits reveal it's version 4.01 (ecs). I have tried various tool type settings, NOCACHE, NOAUTOVEC and so on but that doesnt seem to help.
I'll take a look.

You could try a pre-installed v3.84 PAL version which should work fine.

Just to confirm, are you using 4.01 PAL or 4.01 NTSC? It doesn't say ECS in the scroller.
Old 26 July 2012, 12:13   #17
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I'll take a look.

You could try a pre-installed v3.84 PAL version which should work fine.

Just to confirm, are you using 4.01 PAL or 4.01 NTSC? It doesn't say ECS in the scroller.
Thanks Galahad. A silly question perphaps but how can I tell if it's the PAL or NTSC version? I downloaded the game from whdownload.com where it was pre-installed, I assume it's PAL... Also the text on the credits clearly states ECS after version number. One last question where can I obtain a pre-installed v3.84 version of the game?
Old 26 July 2012, 13:06   #18
daxb

I just had a short test and have also a problem (exception) after game over (after enter highscore in my case). Here it is 4.01 PAL version.

I`ll add a manits bugreport with more info.
Old 26 July 2012, 13:35   #19
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Ok, can see in bug report that it looks like I might have got a location wrong with a piece of code as its jumping to a completely wrong address, that coincidentally the lower half of the jump address is an RTS instruction!

So it looks like an offset error, i'll take a look.

Thanks for the report.
Old 28 July 2012, 01:21   #20
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

A fixed version of the slave is in the zone as 'dd2.slave'.

I had forgotten to actually put the pointer in for a routine to divert the game to WHDLoad so it could actually save the hiscore! Doh!

Please test, should no longer crash.

Also reduced the memory requirements which should have been reduced ages ago.

Chip memory required was $92000, now it is set to $80000