English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 27 September 2009, 21:25   #1
Kikoskia

Completely New at Copying Games - Please Assist

Hello everyone.

Firstly I apologise if this is in the incorrect forum area; if so, you are welcome to move it to where it is meant to be.

Now I have been a game collector for a long time and I recently wanted to get back into the Amiga 500 which I used to have when I was younger (long story short, we ended up selling it and I regret that). Now that I have a new one, I am eager to copy my games so that I play them with copied disks as opposed to the originals, which I can keep safe.

The only problem is I have no idea how to actually copy them successfully. We have a disk with various copying programs, as well as X-Copy Pro which I have gleaned from various threads on random forums that it is a good program. Sadly, I have failed totally to get a single game copied this way sucecssfully.

If anyone could assist me in any way, I would be most appreciative. We are using a standard Amiga 500.

Old 27 September 2009, 22:46   #2
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Hi Dude - If your trying to copy Originals your probably going to have a low rate of success with just X-Copy - List some games -
Cracked versions of games without the protection can be downloaded and transferred back to disk
www.planetemu.net/ has lots of games for download
Old 27 September 2009, 23:03   #3
Kikoskia

Thanks for the information. How are you able to transfer said information back onto disk though? I am unfamiliar with the process.

The main games we are trying to get going are Menace, Gods and The Chaos Engine.

Old 28 September 2009, 15:23   #4
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikoskia View Post
Thanks for the information. How are you able to transfer said information back onto disk though? I am unfamiliar with the process.

The main games we are trying to get going are Menace, Gods and The Chaos Engine.
I havent done this for a long time - im sure someone round here could give you better info.
One way to transfer files from PC to Amiga is by using CrossDOS this will let you move files using Floppy disk - Check to see if you have CrossDos, might have come free with Workbench 2+ but not sure, its also on PPaint -
Would probably help to have WinUae running on PC.

I think a parallel between PC > Amiga conection can also be used to transfere files.

If those are original boxed games then Gods might copy but you need a Hex editor - Menace ill have to check and Chaos Engine I wouldnt think possible. Originals can be backed up - with an extra external drive and copying hardware.

Or: Get A600 With this http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...oducts_id=440;)
Old 28 September 2009, 22:30   #5
Kitty

Quote:
Now I have been a game collector for a long time and I recently wanted to get back into the Amiga 500 which I used to have when I was younger (long story short, we ended up selling it and I regret that). Now that I have a new one, I am eager to copy my games so that I play them with copied disks as opposed to the originals, which I can keep safe.
You have a new Amiga 500? Brand new or second hand? If brand new where did you aquire it?
Old 28 September 2009, 22:36   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

I think "new" in this context probably means "replacement", rather than "brand new".
Old 29 September 2009, 06:41   #7
TjLaZer

You can either 1. Copy cracked versions from the net to a real 880K disk or you can 2. Try to make a backup copy of your disks and use them.

For 1 you just down load the ADF file off the net and transfer to a DSDD disk. The easiest way is to use a higher end Amiga to transfer the ADF to it and using a AmigaDOS command or tool to write the ADF image back to a real disk. Search the net on how to do that. (you can also use hardware on the PC to do this, search for Catweasel)

For 2 you can do this by using a hardware copier to make a pretty much exact copy which will also be uncopyable by xcopy etc. Such hardware copiers are like Cyclone, Super Card Ami II, etc. Or you can use a crack copy disk that has parameters to make a 100% working and cracked version. Such copy tools are: Maurader II, Lockpic V2, Raw Copy III, Project D.

If you need any help let me know! I have done this a lot over the years.
Old 29 September 2009, 09:38   #8
Retro1234
Phone Homer

@TjLaZer Please could upload Maurader II - Id like to check this out Thanks
Old 29 September 2009, 11:26   #9
Kikoskia

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. And no, by new amiga I don't mean fresh out the box I'm afraid. I mean simply new to me - it is used, although it seems in excellent working condition.

I'll give what you guys have suggested a try and let you know how I do.

EDIT: I take it I'm going to need an external hard drive regardless of what copying method I use, am I correct?

Last edited by Kikoskia; 29 September 2009 at 11:52.

Old 29 September 2009, 15:36   #10
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikoskia View Post
EDIT: I take it I'm going to need an external hard drive regardless of what copying method I use, am I correct?
An External drive probably would make things easyer but is Not nescerey

External drive and hardware copier is only needed if its realy important to you to backup your Original boxed games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
For 2 you can do this by using a hardware copier to make a pretty much exact copy which will also be uncopyable by xcopy etc. Such hardware copiers are like Cyclone, Super Card Ami II, etc
Old 30 September 2009, 00:57   #11
Kikoskia

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Old 05 October 2009, 16:01   #12
Kikoskia

Hey all. Just thought I'd post up the progress I've made... or lack thereof. ^^

I haven't really made a lot of progress in copying the games that I had listed previously. However, I have managed to get ahold of already cracked versions of many of the games I wanted so that has made things a lot easier. I have decided to focus instead on trying to copy Meance. However, this is proving difficult as so far, none of the copying programs I have (including ones I got with the last bundle of games I got) seem to work.

For this game specifically, is there any advice you can give?

Thanks.