English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 07 September 2008, 00:29   #1
CFou!

Floppy disk EOB1 Translation more EASY now

Hi Guy,

I am just finishing a package to update Eye of the Beholder 1 AGA v1.09 translations or to add new language support (as EOB2):

Now after your translation update, all needed files are created by an simple script (to compile and pack files)

package is here:
http://eob.wikispaces.com/space/show...n-Works109.lha

Need:
- BarfFly installed
- A text editor
- A GFX tool (PPAint)
- uncps-AGA
- EOB1 AGA + Automap+Multilanguages V1.09 (of course for test)

regards,

PS:
In this package version:
- Polish is Done (Mailman)
- French to verify (translation works by DLFRSILVER)
- Italian to verify (translation works by Marco Pedrana/Hexaae)
- English & German finished (Ripped by me of ECS versions)
Old 07 September 2008, 00:33   #2
Marcuz

great work mate, i'll test the italian version later this month, (together with the finishing of Kajko and Kokosz translation, you polish vampire, you know who you are! )

Old 26 March 2013, 14:29   #3
Marcuz

It's possible I forgot to tell you, but I tested months ago the italian version by playing it, even if it was not exactly my place doing that, since I translated it myself.
However, eventual bugs aside, the translation was all right.

[Bumping thread:]
help CFOU! to finish this project by completing or revising the translations, so that when he get the time, he can repackage it and solve remaining bugs!
People interested please inquire below here or pm CFOU! directly.

For the translations required, check the first post here above!

Thanks
Old 28 March 2013, 10:52   #4
CFou!

have somebody found major problem with french an d italian translation?
Old 31 January 2014, 14:16   #5
Conundrum

I would like to suggest a small overhaul of the fonts and some button/menu positions. On one hand, this won't exactly please more conservative fans of the Amiga version of EOB, but on the flipside, it will greatly improve readability and allow for more translations. Allow me to present some of the current problems (click on thumbs for full image):

Here we can see the lack of accented characters causes some serious problems for the french translate. There are also some spacing issues on the spell names which weren't accounted for.

Same things happens with the larger font regarding accented characters. Both of these will eventually bring even more problems if someone wishes to translate for a language which makes use of additional accented latin characters (Hungarian comes to mind).

In the polish translation, the spacing problems are even worse, as you can see in the spell circle boxes.

For this problem I would like to suggest a two-fold solution. First and foremost, we need a fontset that allows non-capped characters to save space. It just so happens that EOB3 provides the solution for this problem. Additionally, some of the EOB3 menu upgrades could also be used to grant extra space. EOB3 did away with border spacing between directional buttons and the spell circle window, which, combined with the smaller font, made sure you didn't even need to abbreviate spell names. Doing away with the ordinal circle numbers was also a clever way to save space (replacing 1st, 2nd, etc with simple 1 and 2). This can all be seen here:

More to that, ideally these fontsets should also be expanded to allow for extra latin characters and even, if possible, russian and greek characters. This is something I can do personally, as I have some experience expanding and designing pixel art fontsets. The only issue is, the default amiga font format has no support for neither russian or greek characters, so having fonts on raw .iff files would be a plus, since these would be directly editable and easier to configure.

That's all I have to say for now. I was really interested in translating this version of EOB to my own language, however, with the current translation support, I don't I would be able to do that while ensuring minimum translation quality, which is why I am formerly requesting these updates and solutions to improve the game.