English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 04 June 2007, 18:57   #1
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Amiga networking via serial cable

Hello guys, i'm trying to manage a connection via my desktop a1200 to my pc using a serial cable connection. The cable works ok, as it transfers files via amiga explorer perfectly.
I want to connect to the pc, and then being able to connect to the internet for irc and telnet stuff. I have termite tcp on the amiga side, but on the pc side i'm really lost on how to do. Some says that a wingate is needed, but ii can't understand how to make it to point to the cable connection. On amiga explorer you just run the program and it's ok, but for inet i think i would need a special device showed in network settings or such. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!!!!!!
Old 05 June 2007, 21:05   #2
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Bump!
Anyone?
Old 07 June 2007, 09:20   #3
The Conductor

I do this on Linux with pppd

pppd noauth lock proxyarp 192.168.0.3:192.168.0.2 /dev/ttyS0 57600 persist &

And use, e.g. Miami, with static IP (192.168.0.2 for the Amiga) and no dial up script. That permits me to hit ftp, etc. on the Linux box. I think you have to use a route command/iptables/dnsmasq/some such to send packets on to the broader network. It's been a while since I've connected my Amiga to the broader net that way.

I can't tell you the Windows way to do that, but you can always burn (or buy from cheapbytes) a Knoppix CD and boot your machine into Linux without even having to install.

Old 07 June 2007, 09:28   #4
ppill
CON: artist

I'm not sure whether TermiteTCP supports SANA drivers because you'll need one for SLIP - Serial Line Internet Protocol.
Old 26 June 2007, 18:24   #5
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Termite supports slip, at least there is some options for it in the gui of the program.
The main thing i think is the rerouting from serial to the network, and i couldn't figure it out.
Still searching...
Thanks for the replies, if anyone has ideas feel free to comment!!!!
Old 12 July 2007, 00:44   #6
jonbonse

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ThEcRoW View Post
Hello guys, i'm trying to manage a connection via my desktop a1200 to my pc using a serial cable connection. The cable works ok, as it transfers files via amiga explorer perfectly.
I want to connect to the pc, and then being able to connect to the internet for irc and telnet stuff. I have termite tcp on the amiga side, but on the pc side i'm really lost on how to do. Some says that a wingate is needed, but ii can't understand how to make it to point to the cable connection. On amiga explorer you just run the program and it's ok, but for inet i think i would need a special device showed in network settings or such. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!!!!!!
Hi, I am trying to connect my pc and amiga 600. Do you just use a standard Null Modem serial cable from a shop?

I will be using amiga explorer. .

regards

Old 12 July 2007, 16:31   #7
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

I made my own cable using the schematics on Cloanto's site.
But any null modem cable should work, just make sure the connections match with the ones on the schematics.