English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 12 May 2009, 18:41   #1
AB Positive
kachou ON!

Can you program directly on an A500?

I've been wanting to futz about with C and Basic on my new A500. I've been coding for the A8 directly on the 600XL (using APE to save to a virtual disk). I would imagine there's gotta be a way.

I don't know that much about Amiga IDEs or Compilers... what would be possible? I know there's "Amiga Basic" (Microsoft) but I hear Blitz Basic is better. Can it be used with no HDD?

Can any C compiler run well on an A500 w/ 512 trapdoor ram?

It seems like I'll be forced to run WinUAE for programming but I love using the legit hardware. Any tips?

-AB
Old 12 May 2009, 19:05   #2
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
well you can always code basic or asm on a A500 floppy system, but C will give you headaches cause it will need to look headers/includes/libs ... lots of disk swapping.
Old 12 May 2009, 19:30   #3
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

You can download the ADF images of AmosPro from the Amos Factory website if you sign up for the free membership. From there you can make original-quality AmosPro boot disks. You'll want a second floppy-drive minimum though and the code quality from the compiler is not as good as Blitz2. The manual is available online at the Amos Factory as well as on the Aminet in either HTML or PDF formats.

If you have trouble logging in, let me know. I'm a moderator on the Amos Factory and can fix you up if you need it.
Old 12 May 2009, 19:51   #4
AB Positive
kachou ON!

I'll check AMOS out - I saw a few PD games that have "Coded in AMOS" so I'm certainly intrigued.

I'm more into the Basic/ASM set anyway right now in my coding so those are fine - but good to know that C will be better off with a HDD or coding via WinUAE.
Old 12 May 2009, 20:31   #5
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Let me warn you about languages like Amos: You'll outgrow them quickly if you're at least a reasonable C programmer (not a beginner). Go for assembler if 1) you don't want to be limited by a language and 2) you want the best performance (very important on an A500).

Another advantage is that a good assembler environment (AsmOne) doesn't use up a lot of space on a floppy (loads reletively quickly).
Old 12 May 2009, 22:00   #6
Vortex
Used Register

Agree with Thorham.

I want to hammer away on the original hardware as well, and as soon as I get AsmOne transferred to my A500 I will lock myself up (brings back memories ).

I would def. avoid Amiga Basic.

Lars
Old 12 May 2009, 22:36   #7
ricco59

agree with Thorham
I used to use on my a500 asmone/trashmone and use it again on a1200 (few monthes ago) héhé

Have a good time programming on amiga using trash or asm One

see you
Old 12 May 2009, 23:17   #8
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
Amiga E, thats nice, ace basic nice basic, both found on aminet

then theres sas C or storm C for C
Old 13 May 2009, 04:54   #9
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
Amiga E, thats nice, ace basic nice basic, both found on aminet
AmigaE requires Kickstart 2+ and won't work on a Kickstart 1.3 system. ACE Basic might work better than Amos in terms of calculation speed but Amos has more graphics acceleration features.

If I was trying to make something with an Intuition GUI, I'd skip AmosPro and go directly to either C or ACE if I were you.
Old 29 September 2009, 12:05   #10
onkelf

assemble on a action replay 3

hey i want to start programming asm on my A500 but i dont have an assembler.
so can i use my action replay 3 to assemble ? or do i need libraries or includes ?

Old 29 September 2009, 12:41   #11
pmc
gone

@ onkelf - good for you - go for it.

My advice would be to grab yourself an assembler though.

You'll be able to find Devpac, AsmOne, AsmPro, PhxAss or Macro68k all over the place on the internet.

If you have trouble finding these, come back to me - I can supply you with any or all in .adf format or, if you really need real disks I can write the .adf's to floppies for you and send them - just PM your address if needed.

In my opinion you don't want to be poking assembly mnemonics into memory with Action Replay really - you'll get frustrated and annoyed at not having a proper assembler pretty quickly I'd say...
Old 29 September 2009, 12:55   #12
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmc View Post
In my opinion you don't want to be poking assembly mnemonics into memory with Action Replay really
Pfft, the kids today, no sense of fun. What's better than coding like "$70004e75"? Seriously though, I'd also look for an Assembler, the AR3 assemble command is OK for quick changes, but for serious coding there are better tools.
Old 29 September 2009, 13:04   #13
pmc
gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay
Pfft, the kids today, no sense of fun.
LOL.

What can I say? I'm weak and feeble.

They made 'em of stronger stuff in your day Grandpa Sting.
Old 08 October 2009, 04:30   #14
Photon

An AsmOne bootdisk with include files and a few utilities, and then have the source disk itself in the external drive works well - nothing wrong with a side port harddisk interface though. Will save you time, if nothing else - and maybe a few grey "read/write error" hairs too

Same setup should work with a Basic of your choice (or Amos, but I haven't used it so take the Amos guys' advice ) - if there are docs and examples this should be a good way to "get going" and quickly test out if you can get your idea running on the screen
Old 13 October 2009, 22:46   #15
gilgamesh
Linux snob

I used to own a book about C on the Amiga that recommended Lattice C and Aztec C. Aztec can be found in the official Aztec C online Museum. It comes on 4 adfs.