English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 15 May 2017, 16:03   #1
liviux76

A1200T - Fast ATA MKV + Mediator PCI?

Hello guys!

I am going to receive a Mediator PCI (I don't know exactly which release) and I don't know if I will be able to use it with my FastATA MKV.

Can someone tell me if it is possible to use them together?
And what about the Mediator and the Indivision MK2?

With the Mediator I'll receive a PCI videocard and I've read somewhere that I can use both the Indivision MK2 and the videocard using a "ratte" switch monitor, is that right?

I already had a Mediator but it was many years ago and I wasn't skilled enough to enjoy it so I ended up selling it (and the whole A1200 Tower) but now I have been using an A1200 Tower with a Blizzard 1260, a FastATA MKV, a subway USB, a pcmcia ethernet card and more with great satisfaction for more than 2 years so I feel ready for the Mediator... hopefully!!!

Any advice will be much appreciated, thanks!!!
Old 15 May 2017, 16:13   #2
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

You can use the Mediator and the FastATA, or the Mediator and the Indivision AGA, or the FastATA and the Indivision (if you use risers for the kickstart sockets to raise the FastATA). But you can't easily use all three together

I currently have the Indivision and Mediator combo, but would like to use a FastATA (onboard IDE is kinda crappy!) so am currently investigating, with the help of Daedalus, if there is any way to use a custom pcb to rotate the Kickstart sockets out from under the Mediator.

We've only got as far as a basic idea, I still need to get some proper measurements etc so we can see if it's actually possible.

The only other way is a Mediator riser kit (you can but these from Elbox) but personally I really want to avoid that route if at all possible.
Old 15 May 2017, 16:16   #3
Daedalus

Yep, you'll need to remove the foldover clips from any IDE cables you use (and obviously changing cables will be a complete pain), but they do work together. Both are made by Elbox and they mention the Mediator in the Quick Installation Guide.

As for the Indivision, I haven't seen a machine with both installed, but I can't imagine it would be a problem since there is plenty of clearance underneath the Mediator. I have an older DCE scandoubler installed under my Mediator and it works fine. You might want to think about using a fan or something though - the Indivision can get hot, and chances are your PCI graphics card will get hot too.

edit: Ah, there you are, I meant to talk to you about measurements actually And it turns out I had seen one with the Mediator and Indivision installed after all Sorry!
Old 15 May 2017, 17:04   #4
liviux76

Thanks guys!
Very fast and interesting answers...

So it is possible to use the FastATA MKV and the Mediator together but not them two plus the Indivision...

In order to use the Mediator with the Indivision I am using a "custom made" riser and certainly with it there is no chance to use the Mediator...

Well... when I'll receive the Mediator I'll take my decision... I think that I could use a different buffered IDE interface but, as far as I know, the FastATA MKV is the best buffered IDE interface... isn't it?

There is also another thing that isn't clear to me... Is there any valid reason having the Indivision and the PCI videocard? Couldn't I just use the videocard output? I heard about that "ratte" switch monitor but without it, if I only have the videocard would I be able to use the videocard output for both, WB and games?
Old 15 May 2017, 17:08   #5
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Your Videocard will work with RTG aware software, and for your main workbench window. The minute you run any games (or even sysinfo) that use native video modes you need a way to view to Amiga's native video output - in my case I have a manual VGA switch to flip to the Indivision output from the Radeon in the mediator.
Old 15 May 2017, 18:02   #6
liviux76

@indigolemon

Thanks for your answer, mate.
That "RTG aware software" was the part I was missing...

So, if I correctly understand, in order to use a software that uses "only native video modes" I still need the Indivision or alternatively a TV/monitor connected to the RGB port and manually (or automatically) switch to it. Is this correct?
Old 15 May 2017, 19:13   #7
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by liviux76 View Post
So, if I correctly understand, in order to use a software that uses "only native video modes" I still need the Indivision or alternatively a TV/monitor connected to the RGB port and manually (or automatically) switch to it. Is this correct?
Exactly that
Old 15 May 2017, 19:48   #8
liviux76

Great!
I really thank you for your fast and very clear answers!