English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Technical

Old 08 November 2019, 14:48   #1
vroom6sri

Warcraft 2 DOSbox & D-Fend / Retropie problem

I found some old Zipped games on my NAS drive that I had forgotten about one of which was Warcraft 2 which I thought would be cool to setup in Retropie with DOSbox emulation but I couldn't find the CD anywhere.

Luckily I found a No-CD patch online and managed to get it working 'manually' in DOSbox on my PC but when I either use D-Fend to set it up so that it is just a matter of clicking it to load it or copying the (apparently) working directory to my Retropie the No-CD patch doesn't work and the game asks for the CD.

I'm baffled as to why it would work if I do it all via DOSbox manually but then not work via D-Fend or in Retropie.

Can anyone offer any help or suggestions please?
Old 08 November 2019, 15:22   #2
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Well what do you want to prove? That black magic exists?

The most logical explanation is that the game (or rather: executable) that retropie's dosbox is running is not patched. So retrace the steps. Where are you copying the game to? Is that the correct directory? Are the files successfully being overwritten?
Old 08 November 2019, 17:24   #3
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I try not to use no-cd patch for any games, as usually they are loaded with viruses/worms.

If you have ISO, you can copy and mount ISO to RPi and game should work. If you don't care about videos in game, you can find probably DOS version that works in some of Twilight or Triada cds IIRC.

Only reason it might work in DOSBox, but not in Dfend (is anyone still using this front end??) or RPi would mean that you are using different configuration. Check configuration and make sure you use the same one, and call correct executable.

Can I suggest LaunchBox as far better DOSBox front end. (as well front end for all other emulation needs )
Old 08 November 2019, 21:08   #4
vroom6sri

Thanks for the suggestions guys and I have had some success - if I load up just the DOSbox program via Retropie and then navigate to the Warcraft2 folder via the DOS prompt to load the (definitely, 100%) patched War2.exe it works and I can live with that if I can't find a better solution.

Unfortunately I don't have an image of the CD-ROM as it never occurred to me to make one. If it turns up then that's what I'll be doing as I'd already thought about that or just creating a folder containing the contents of the CD-ROM and configuring it as a CD-ROM drive in DOSbox.

I'll have a look at that LaunchBox. I'd never considered using an alternative to D-Fend as that's what I originally used when I first started messing around in DOSbox and never had any reason (until now it seems) to look for something else.
Old 08 November 2019, 21:20   #5
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Did you try to google ISO?

I posted before some DOS games setup screenshots from Launchbox, but best thing is that it works well with all emulation, not just DOSBox, that was originally main and only emulator it supported.

Last edited by Anubis; 08 November 2019 at 21:30.
Old 08 November 2019, 21:44   #6
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Ok,

I wanted to check how hard is to install it on LaunchBox, and here are some screenshots from installation...

The best part is that you can set it up so that if you have 2 screens, it turns second screen black so that you can focus on game.
Old 08 November 2019, 23:11   #7
vroom6sri

That looks pretty slick, Slick. Definitely worth a look. Thanks for detailing it here.

I hadn't tried searching specifically for ISO files of the CD as it never occurred to me. I did find a download of what was said to be the full game but the CD image attached was corrupt so the content was virtually non-existent.
Old 09 November 2019, 01:14   #8
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
hi vroom6sri, whassup ?

I don't know exactly what steps it would involve to make the game work with Retropie
but this guy gamechamp20 had it done with D-Fend Reloaded (reloaded is an overhauled version of the original D-Fend frontend). Essentially, his demonstration involves three steps : 1) the crack should be applied (can be done from within D-Fend) beforehand, 2) you're supposed to setup the audio and 3) make a few adjustments in D-Fend (except switching off fullscreen, that was done because of the recording). I have D-Fend setup on my computer just in case you still can't manage, but the demonstration seems logical provided you trust the source of course.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 09 November 2019, 09:22   #9
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Just noticed the "source" used by the YT video author I linked (myabandonware.com) doesn't offer the game anymore, sorry about that. One of the guests commenting on that decision made a valid point, Good Old Games doesn't sell the DOS version, so what's the heck. Anyway, I have noticed the exact same archive of Warcraft II ~ Tides Of Darkness can be downloaded from Abandonware Games. Rest of the demonstration is still valid. Have fun,

Last edited by SquawkBox; 09 November 2019 at 10:58.
Old 09 November 2019, 20:48   #10
vroom6sri

Merci, SquawkBox.

Last edited by vroom6sri; 09 November 2019 at 23:27. Reason: Useless iPhone predictive text!
Old 10 November 2019, 22:53   #11
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

How did it go? DO you have it running? (or are you busy playing it )
Old 11 November 2019, 10:47   #12
vroom6sri

I did indeed thanks to 'finding' an image of the game CD online and copying the contents of it to a folder and then mounting that folder as a CD-ROM drive. I created a startup script for it so I can just select it from the DOSbox list in Retropie and, voila, it loads up and allows me to load / start a new campaign.

Many thanks for your help, folks.
Old 11 November 2019, 14:27   #13
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Great!

For those folks who have RPi4, how about Diablo II on RPi4 (with 2GB memory)

[ Show youtube player ]