English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 17 November 2017, 13:19   #701
wmsteele

Acorn support... fantastic
Old 17 November 2017, 14:26   #702
kipper2k

OLED display issue.

Just a little more info on the issue i was having with the OLED not initializing.

I set the delay to 1000, it initializes fine.
I set the delay to 500, no initialization
I reset the delay to 2000 and no initialization.

I press both buttons on bootup, the display will initialize after a few seconds. and the display then continues to work ok on following bootups, very strange. I did order some more of the OLEDs from a different ebay seller so i will compare when i get the other batch to see if there is any noticeable HW differences

Last edited by kipper2k; 17 November 2017 at 14:31.
Old 17 November 2017, 14:34   #703
kipper2k

Hmm, tried to edit previous msg, and when i clicked advance option it kept trying to delete it ??

anyway, i modded a couple of goteks last night, sound, OLED, reset and rotary encoder, was very easy.

here are a couple of pics.

and

Old 17 November 2017, 14:38   #704
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
OLED display issue.

Just a little more info on the issue i was having with the OLED not initializing.

I press both buttons on bootup, the display will initialize after a few seconds. and the display then continues to work ok on following bootups, very strange. I did order some more of the OLEDs from a different ebay seller so i will compare when i get the other batch to see if there is any noticeable HW differences
I thought it was initialising reliably at 2000ms delay? You can always increase the delay some more
Old 17 November 2017, 14:40   #705
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffer View Post
I thought it was initialising reliably at 2000ms delay? You can always increase the delay some more

Yup, 2000 is fine, but after an init failure it needs the 2 button reset in order to "kickstart" it again
Old 17 November 2017, 14:42   #706
Keir

Quote:
Yup, 2000 is fine, but after an init failure it needs the 2 button reset in order to "kickstart" it again
If you wanted to debug it you can do a debug build of the firmware and then you get serial log output (via the programming serial interface) at 3Mbaud (rate can be reduced at the top of src/console.c).

By the way I like the white displays more anyway (rather than the blue)
Old 17 November 2017, 14:46   #707
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffer View Post
If you wanted to debug it you can do a debug build of the firmware and then you get serial log output (via the programming serial interface) at 3Mbaud (rate can be reduced at the top of src/console.c).
K, i shall add to my list to try to solve. If anyone wants a close up of the wiring for my mods i can take a couple of Hires pictures so they can follow what i done a bit better, let me know and i will post, just need to do it outside, camera is not too good in room lighting

here is digikey part info.

1568-1606-ND for the knob.
987-1398-ND Rotary encoder
Old 17 November 2017, 14:49   #708
Mq

Quote:
OLED display issue.

I press both buttons on bootup, the display will initialize after a few seconds. and the display then continues to work ok on following bootups, very strange.
Hey, kaffer and kipper2k, isn't it that initialise delay which is set in config file works in the next restart of Gotek? That theory fits into kipper2k's description of settings which works fine or not, I suppose.
Old 17 November 2017, 15:03   #709
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mq View Post
Hey, kaffer and kipper2k, isn't it that initialise delay which is set in config file works in the next restart of Gotek? That theory fits into kipper2k's description of settings which works fine or not, I suppose.
Damn good point. You win
Old 17 November 2017, 15:11   #710
Mq

I'm electronic engineer, and programer too, so I have skill to algorythmic thinking like microcontroller:-) So I catch such symptoms and theirs reasons quickly... sometimes:-)

Ok, how much I win?:-)
Old 17 November 2017, 15:14   #711
Keir

Quote:
I'm electronic engineer, and programer too, so I have skill to algorythmic thinking like microcontroller:-) So I catch such symptoms and theirs reasons quickly... sometimes:-)

Ok, how much I win?:-)
A lifetime's supply of free FlashFloppy licenses.
Old 17 November 2017, 15:33   #712
Mq

Oh! Thanks very much! All of my life I have dream about it:-) It's wonderful and the best prize:-)
Old 17 November 2017, 18:25   #713
remowilliams

Quote:
OLED display issue.

I am having what sounds like exactly the same problem with OLED initialization on a unit I modified last night, swapping with a different OLED (from the same order) doesn't change anything.
Old 17 November 2017, 18:45   #714
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by remowilliams View Post
I am having what sounds like exactly the same problem with OLED initialization on a unit I modified last night, swapping with a different OLED (from the same order) doesn't change anything.
Kipper had the same problem with both of his OLED units (also from the same order). It might be a batch or design issue. Noone who has seen the problem has so far had a display from a separate order/seller to compare against.
Old 17 November 2017, 19:08   #715
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by remowilliams View Post

one thing with the cfg file, when you edit it, reboot your Amiga, let it load the current image and then shut it down and reboot as it appears to update and then requires a reboot for changes to take effect, and the display should be back. (At least i think that is what is going on as i tried this a few times and results tend to agree with my logic
Old 17 November 2017, 19:12   #716
Keir

Quote:

one thing with the cfg file, when you edit it, reboot your Amiga, let it load the current image and then shut it down and reboot as it appears to update and then requires a reboot for changes to take effect, and the display should be back. (At least i think that is what is going on as i tried this a few times and results tend to agree with my logic
Exactly what happens, as Mq also suggested here. And I knew that and it slipped my mind when you made your initial report.
Old 17 November 2017, 19:27   #717
kipper2k

k,

1 final change i made...

I remmed out the startup delay line with a # and i have no problem with display. I am not sure if the previous value is stored or cleared, but display still works
Old 17 November 2017, 19:36   #718
Mq

In FF config values are stored in the flash of device. New values are saved in the device when they are changed in cfg file. If value is not changed, or there is no some value, or there is no cfg file at all, then Gotek remember last saved config values forever.
Old 17 November 2017, 20:23   #719
Keir

Quote:
In FF config values are stored in the flash of device. New values are saved in the device when they are changed in cfg file. If value is not changed, or there is no some value, or there is no cfg file at all, then Gotek remember last saved config values forever.
Yep exactly correct.
Old 17 November 2017, 20:28   #720
remowilliams

Added the 2000ms delay to the config, so far it seems to reliably activate the screen on Gotek power on