English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 07 January 2011, 08:22   #1
amigappc

FFS and SFS

Few questions for ClassicWBOS39 gurus.

So I read that SFS is faster file system and want to install it on my real A1200. Will I gain some performance with it with ClassicWB?

I installed CWB on WinUAE as usual and made System.zip

I formated drive on A1200 with SFS and I will try to write System.zip on it today. Does it matter if filesystem on WinUAE wasn't SFS while installing CWB? Will it have some issues when unpacking on SFS formated partition?

If someone can reply during today I would be grateful because I plan to unpack it this evening.
Old 07 January 2011, 08:50   #2
thomas

Quote:
Will I gain some performance with it with ClassicWB?
Probably yes. It depends a bit on whether you have an accelerator. The faster the Amiga is the more you will gain compared to FFS. The system should boot faster and programs should load faster.

Quote:
Does it matter if filesystem on WinUAE wasn't SFS while installing CWB?
No, the files are now stored in the ZIP file. ZIP has no file system dependency (otherwise you wouldn't be able to use it on different computer platforms).

You have lost Amiga protection bits and file notes already when you made the ZIP file. It would be better to do the transfer with LHA instead of ZIP because LHA is able to store Amiga-specific file attributes.

Quote:
Will it have some issues when unpacking on SFS formated partition?
What kind of issues do you think of? Unpacking should be faster than with FFS.
Old 07 January 2011, 09:26   #3
amigappc

Thomas, thank you for your answers.

I made System.zip with Dopus un WinUAE as instructed in CWB installation manual: http://classicwb.abime.net/classicwe...ctionsos39.htm

Quote:
Creating "System.zip" in WinUAE
  1. Load the now installed ClassicWB config created above. image
  2. Add a PC directory to the Hard Drives tab. You can call this whatever you wish, however using "PC" for either the device or volume name will produce a nice Workbench icon shown in the pictures. image
  3. Boot the ClassicWB and load "Dopus" from the popup menu. image
  4. Select "DH0" for one window and the "PC" directory added in 1) for the second window. image
  5. Highlight all the ClassicWB files on "DH0" and click the "ZIP" button. image
  6. When asked to enter an archive name, type "System". image
  7. Hit return and wait for the archive to be finalized (may take a while). image
  8. Test the archive's integrity either in Dopus or Windows. image
Installing from scratch
  1. Boot your Workbench install disk and use HDtoolbox to setup your hard drive, naming the first partition DH0:
  2. Boot the disk again and format DH0: , calling it whatever you wish.
  3. Copy the "System.zip" file onto your first hard drive partition, device DH0:
  4. Write "Real_Amiga_Install.ADF" back to a normal Amiga 3.5" disk. Details of how to achieve this can be found in the file transfer section.
  5. Boot from the install disk created in 4) and follow the on-screen instructions.
I can make System.lha archive but I do not know will Real_Amiga_Install.ADF floppy recognize it and unpack it right on DH0?
Old 07 January 2011, 10:03   #4
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

You need to make an System.zip containing the ClassicWB installation.
The Floppy Disk transfered from the adf file will indeed recognize the System.zip inside DH0 and continue the installation.
Old 07 January 2011, 10:37   #5
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
How are you getting the system.zip onto the Amiga? The reason I ask is if you are using a CF card for HDD or if you have a 44pin IDE-USB converter you can hook up your HDD or CF to your PC and use WinUAE to copy the files over to your newly prepared drive. This is much faster than using the system.zip and unpacking with the CWB Floppy.

Other then that you seem to be on the right track with this

JuvUK also wrote a tutorial recently at Amibay which covers installing CWB OS3.9 with SFS and Large Disk Support.

Click Here
Old 07 January 2011, 10:46   #6
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigappc View Post
I can make System.lha archive but I do not know will Real_Amiga_Install.ADF floppy recognize it and unpack it right on DH0?
Sorry, I didn't intend to instruct you to do something differently. I meant to generally criticize the installation guide. Using LHA instead of ZIP would be more accurate. But certainly the install.ADF would need to be adjusted, too.
Old 07 January 2011, 11:42   #7
Bloodwych

If you created the System.zip file from WITHIN WinUAE, as the instructions show, you will not lose any file attributes or any Amiga related details whatsoever - the Amiga ZIP and UNZIP executables preserves all file attributes. If you zipped under Windows, it will be as Thomas suggested.

LHA had a few issues and was not suitable. It ignores empty directories/drawers and I (and KillerGorilla with his WHDLoad packs) even found a bug where it would corrupt files on rare occasions in some versions. Not sure if the Classic 1.38 is problem free, but after testing I found ZIP to be more universal and better for the task.

In other words, ZIP was a more reliable solution. When making such huge archives, I have never once found any issues with it.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 07 January 2011 at 11:54.
Old 07 January 2011, 12:03   #8
amigappc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
How are you getting the system.zip onto the Amiga? The reason I ask is if you are using a CF card for HDD or if you have a 44pin IDE-USB converter you can hook up your HDD or CF to your PC and use WinUAE to copy the files over to your newly prepared drive. This is much faster than using the system.zip and unpacking with the CWB Floppy.

Other then that you seem to be on the right track with this

JuvUK also wrote a tutorial recently at Amibay which covers installing CWB OS3.9 with SFS and Large Disk Support.

Click Here
Tank you all for the answers and clarification of ZIP/LHA situation. Especially for this guide, because of NSDPatch file hint.

I do not partition CF under WinUAE because I'd have to open Amiga every time to do so.

Usualy I install 3.1 to Work partition (I make two, System and Work) and install CDROM support than I copy System.zip to System partition (from CD) and change "bootable" indicator from Work to System partition using HDToolbox. After that I delete all files from Work partition and run ClassicWB install from floppy.

Everyone has its own methods.
Old 07 January 2011, 12:21   #9
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigappc View Post
Tank you all for the answers .... Especially for this guide, because of NSDPatch file hint.
No problem, glad to help.

Quote:
I do not partition CF under WinUAE because I'd have to open Amiga every time to do so.
You could run a long IDE cable to the SCSI port at the back of the A1200 and mount the CF-IDE adapter there, its a nice tidy solution and saves opening the A1200

Quote:
Everyone has its own methods.
Yep, we sure do If we were all the same it would be a very boring world!!!