English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 15 December 2004, 19:35   #1
Chaeo
Monkey Slapper

A1200 Composite versus Video

On the back of my 1200 there's a small round composite video output, there's also a video port. I've just seen on ebay a lead that runs from the Amiga's video port and 2 audio sockets, to a scart lead. Would this video socket output (to scart) offer any improvement in clarity over a regular composite to scart?

Btw, I'm like this on any forum. I type stuff out, it makes sense to me, but in all actuality - reads like utter nonsense, typed by a headcase.
Old 15 December 2004, 19:41   #2
thomas

Quote:
Would this video socket output (to scart) offer any improvement in clarity over a regular composite to scart?
Yes. But the TV has to have a full-featured scart connector, i.e. support the RGB input. Most TVs don't.
Old 15 December 2004, 19:44   #3
Chaeo
Monkey Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas
Yes. But the TV has to have a full-featured scart connector, i.e. support the RGB input. Most TVs don't.
Yes, it definitely supports RGB, I used to run my DVDPlayer in that mode. I think I'll give this a try then, thanks
Old 15 December 2004, 22:17   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Most TV's DO support RGB input on one of the SCART sockets. However there is an RGB sense pin (sometimes called FastBlank) which needs to be driven for the TV to recognise the RGB signals.
Old 16 December 2004, 00:06   #5
Npl

Most TVs of the last 5-10 years have a RGB-capable Port, but usually just 1 of them.
Some descriptions on the net are however incomplete, you need apart from 2xAudio and 3xVideo a few other connections - one is sync, one is a "RGB-Switch" which needs to be some odd Voltage like 2V and I think there was another one I forgot.

PS. I think the Amiga-Port has a Pin called composite, I kinda expected the Cable I built to run with non-RGB Scart too, but it doesnt?

Oh and RGB Picture Quality is kinda like 3 times better

Edit: Theres the Scart Pinout

Pin 8 should go to 12V
Pin 16 should go to 1-3V (connect through a Resistor around 700 - 800Ohm to 12V )

Last edited by Npl; 16 December 2004 at 00:30.
Old 16 December 2004, 21:41   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
I think the Amiga-Port has a Pin called composite, I kinda expected the Cable I built to run with non-RGB Scart too, but it doesnt?
The Amiga has pin10 which is composite SYNC not composite VIDEO. It's just the H_BLANK and V_BLANK signals combined in a funky way on a single wire. You connect that to the composite video input on the SCART, but it's used just for sync.

Amiga's cannot produce composite video without a modulator. A500's had the A520, 1200's and 600's have an internal chip that goes to the comp-sync Phono jack.

There is unfortunately no way to make a 100% functional RGB & Composite video cable with just wires.

Last edited by alexh; 16 December 2004 at 21:47.
Old 17 December 2004, 14:20   #7
Npl

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh
The Amiga has pin10 which is composite SYNC not composite VIDEO. It's just the H_BLANK and V_BLANK signals combined in a funky way on a single wire. You connect that to the composite video input on the SCART, but it's used just for sync.

Amiga's cannot produce composite video without a modulator. A500's had the A520, 1200's and 600's have an internal chip that goes to the comp-sync Phono jack.

There is unfortunately no way to make a 100% functional RGB & Composite video cable with just wires.
What if I would connect instead of Pin10 the A1200`s composite-jack (and leave the rest as it is) ? Im to lazy to mess with the cable, especially since im not sure it would work
Old 17 December 2004, 15:04   #8
thomas

Then you get the same bad picture as if you connect the compisite connector directly to the TV.

The advantage of the Scart thing is that the TV uses the RGB lines without any quality loss.

Using the composite line in the Scart plug does not make any sense unless your TV does not have a composite-in connection.
Old 17 December 2004, 15:32   #9
Npl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas
Then you get the same bad picture as if you connect the compisite connector directly to the TV.

The advantage of the Scart thing is that the TV uses the RGB lines without any quality loss.

Using the composite line in the Scart plug does not make any sense unless your TV does not have a composite-in connection.
I know bout that. What I meant is if the Cable then uses the RGB-Lines when plugged in a RGB-Capable Port of the TV AND also works with a non RGB-Capable Port. Currently a non RGB-Capable wont show a Picture as alexh explained.

I only have 1 RGB Port on my TV, which is not enough for a PS2 and an Amiga. Why should I keep seperate Cables for RGB and nonRGB if a single one could work?
Old 17 December 2004, 17:05   #10
Chaeo
Monkey Slapper

http://www.jeacle.ie/publications/articles/scart/

This thread has gotten a little too technical for me, but does that webpage above look right to anyone?