English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.TOSEC (amiga only)

Old 14 January 2007, 20:07   #1
Kodoichi
Banned

Location: I'm the smiling face on your TV, I exploit you still you love me
Tosec is burried

Post your condolences here.

Last edited by Kodoichi; 09 July 2008 at 11:04.
Old 14 January 2007, 20:16   #2
BippyM
Global Moderator

??????
Old 14 January 2007, 20:23   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

In general or just the Amiga branch? There is no news in the official Tosec forums
Old 14 January 2007, 20:28   #4
Marcuz

this has been discussed many times before, and TOSEC is far from being dead.
actually, sctratch "discussesd" more like "more or less out of place lamented" is more like it. more.
while the tosec site may not be extraripant of activity, there are many people, (check the tosec forum here for instance, and that's just here) where tosec renamers, volunteering their free time do the work for all the community...
Old 15 January 2007, 01:35   #5
Ultron
Something

It all started with that stupid website change and the visual basic app.

Why change what worked? Oh well.

I can barely function with that VB slow, bloatware, bugged "new" app.

I guess when the words "Visual Basic" even came up the writing's on the wall.
Old 15 January 2007, 09:12   #6
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Actually I jumped into this thread with interest and half a mind (only half mind you!!) to say "Good, perhaps something better will replace it". Then again, SOMETHING is always better than NOTHING.

TOSEC is not perfect but it does qualify as SOMETHING.

The OP's thread was designed to provoke... why?
Old 21 January 2007, 11:50   #7
[idoru]

As discussed approximately a zillion +1 times..."that stupid website change" was because the host fried the server it was on AND the backup...afaik the site admin didn't have a usable backup himself at the time.

Anyway, whatever...I'm surprised Methanoid didn't take this as another opportunity to moan about TIM Seriously though, if you don't like it then don't use it...I don't use it as I don't like it...but I don't feel the need to whine about it in every thread possible. It's quite simple to load it up & generate CMP dats, then close it.

TOSEC isn't dead, it's just quiet. There is stuff ready to be released (approx. 200 dats), but don't ask me when that release is as I don't know. Are people not allowed to do other things in their life other than what you want them to do ?

End of boring topic, on my part at least.
Old 21 January 2007, 19:19   #8
Drake008@

The longer it lasts the better the new dats. I think the half-year renaming, deleting and so on will be worth it.

These Tosec updates should be 2 times in a year. That would be enough. But these are just my 2 cents (pfennig or whatever!).

Hmm, my first post? Thought I posted more last year.
Old 22 January 2007, 08:40   #9
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by [idoru]
Anyway, whatever...I'm surprised Methanoid didn't take this as another opportunity to moan about TIM Seriously though, if you don't like it then don't use it...I don't use it as I don't like it...but I don't feel the need to whine about it in every thread possible. It's quite simple to load it up & generate CMP dats, then close it.
OK please tell me how posting in a grand total of TWO threads how I am "whining in every possible thread" about TIM?

I'm sorry if you feel defensive by your "association" with TIM and therefore post such stuff but bemoaning TIM is not a personal attack and yes, I have resorted to CMP since I have discovered some of the "features" of TIM that cost can cost you data.
Old 15 February 2007, 19:56   #10
Kodoichi
Banned

Location: I'm the smiling face on your TV, I exploit you still you love me
Looks like Tosec is really dead now, the website doesn't show up at all.
Old 16 February 2007, 13:55   #11
Ultron
Something

Why doesn't the Amiga section break off and have it's own .dat release and what not? It could still comply with the TOSEC naming convention(s). Right now the complete disregard with which the project has been (mis)lead is borderline insulting.
Old 16 February 2007, 15:29   #12
Ian
Global Moderator

I'd like to see spilt dats myself. I have thought about making my own being a former semi-active renamer (for a couple of months)

One for alt versions for the perverts out there and a usable set with one copy of each game (one version per crack would be acceptable also)

This would make the collection better and seeing as it is against TOSEC if TOSEC is no longer actively being updated a "break away" set of dats following a similar structure would be the way to go in my opinion.
Old 17 February 2007, 00:15   #13
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
I'd like to see spilt dats myself. I have thought about making my own being a former semi-active renamer (for a couple of months)

One for alt versions for the perverts out there and a usable set with one copy of each game (one version per crack would be acceptable also)

This would make the collection better and seeing as it is against TOSEC if TOSEC is no longer actively being updated a "break away" set of dats following a similar structure would be the way to go in my opinion.
Crossed my mind.. thought about website too.. alt.tosec the project could be called.. "The Alternative to TOSEC"

A good start on the "cleaner" cracks would be the Gamebase/Lemonade recognised files.
Old 17 February 2007, 00:39   #14
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid
A good start on the "cleaner" cracks would be the Gamebase/Lemonade recognised files.
I'm sure we have all been through this before...

How do you know which set it 100% perfect??? Nobody does unless you are prepared to play / test yourself

I know, I've done it with Amiga 2 games that mean alot to me i.e. Another World & Flashback

Really though, you have to take your hat off the the TOSEC guys who are devoting so much time trying to identify different sets. That's just the first step

...then there are people like Belgarath that play / test loads of game for the community to bring a product that it 100% working (as best as humanly possible).

At the end of the day, how many of you guys are contributing to either product??? These things take time...
Old 17 February 2007, 01:04   #15
Ultron
Something

No updates...Main tool development\Online database stalled...website down.

"Two more weeks..."

"Stay the course..."
Old 17 February 2007, 02:44   #16
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Maybe you could start your own project.

Anything to stop your constant whinging.
Old 17 February 2007, 12:30   #17
Ian
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD
I'm sure we have all been through this before...

How do you know which set it 100% perfect??? Nobody does unless you are prepared to play / test yourself

I know, I've done it with Amiga 2 games that mean alot to me i.e. Another World & Flashback

Really though, you have to take your hat off the the TOSEC guys who are devoting so much time trying to identify different sets. That's just the first step

...then there are people like Belgarath that play / test loads of game for the community to bring a product that it 100% working (as best as humanly possible).

At the end of the day, how many of you guys are contributing to either product??? These things take time...
Big Byte created a tool that would compare each version and report the difference. I guess that could be used somehow, with the one being most similar to all the other versions of the same game being classed as the "original" version. Obviously people would more than likely still keep all the [a] versions so if an image needed to be replaced with another because it wasn't working then it would be fairly easy and painless to do for everyone concerned.
Old 18 February 2007, 12:13   #18
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodoichi
Oh no, even more [a]lts...
Yeah I thought that too !!
Old 23 February 2007, 00:21   #19
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodoichi
Looks like Tosec is really dead now, the website doesn't show up at all.
There is a proverb: "Don't meet trouble halfway."

Old 01 March 2007, 17:34   #20
superBuster
superFreak

Send a message via AIM to superBuster
slightly OT, but the tosec nameing is acualy quite weak, I hate the long drawn out names with spaces and ever illegal char that you can think of. It actualy hard to use in linux and amiga, you would think that a group with oldschool in the name would take some old os rules into account. Maybe it time for something a little bit more practical? Imean does ever detail have to be in the name of can some thing be embeded like in an mp3?