English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 March 2020, 05:08   #1
Unicorn

A4000D Another project

In the search for my Cyberstorm MKII, I found the card inside my A4000D which had a rodent urinate on the Cybervision 64 killing the GFX card hopefully not the rest of the machine.

A bit of research tells me that Cybervision 64's are very rare and I will not find one.

So my next thought is.

Is it better to get a mediator board and use a PC gfx card and move it into another tower case.

Is there a project RTG GFX card out there.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

This machine also has kickstart 4.0 roms in it, I don't even know what roms are in the PPC towered A4000.

The machine was jam packed.

4mb fast ram, Cyberstorm MKII 060 with SCSI controller and unknown ram, floppy, scsi based zip drive and CD burner, 4.3GB scsi drive, original ide drive. 2065 network card and the dead CV64. a lot for a little desktop.

I remember the 128GB of ram on the Cyberstorm PPC was very expensive new. I don't know what is installed on this board.
Old 14 March 2020, 06:43   #2
TjLaZer

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 14 March 2020, 08:34   #3
trixster
Guru Meditating

Yes, ZZ9000 is a great modern rtg option, and gives you Ethernet and usb storage too.

Mediator is still a good choice however it’s no longer the ‘cheap’ route given how expensive Voodoo3, 4, and 5 cards have become. That said, Radeon cards are still pretty affordable but they lack Warp3d which is a shame.
Old 14 March 2020, 11:36   #4
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
Yes, ZZ9000 is a great modern rtg option, and gives you Ethernet and usb storage too.

Mediator is still a good choice however it’s no longer the ‘cheap’ route given how expensive Voodoo3, 4, and 5 cards have become. That said, Radeon cards are still pretty affordable but they lack Warp3d which is a shame.
That looks Cool. Won't need the 2065 card.

It seems most voodoo cards are in western europe.

Pity the Voodoo II cards don't work I found my SLI pair from my first windows 98 machine.

Finding a mediator 4000 might be tricky.
Old 14 March 2020, 11:49   #5
trixster
Guru Meditating

Elbox sell them new on their website and they come up quite regularly on amibay

If you’re interested in a CV64 they do come up now and again on amibay too. It might be worth registering an account there
Old 14 March 2020, 12:28   #6
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
Elbox sell them new on their website and they come up quite regularly on amibay

If you’re interested in a CV64 they do come up now and again on amibay too. It might be worth registering an account there
I will do that the CV64 was a great card for my needs. Then one day there was sparks and flames while computer was running. I turned it off and opened it to find a puddle on the CV64. Plus some smoke.

I think everything else still works, I think I have a microvitec monitor here somewhere.
Old 14 March 2020, 12:34   #7
spudje

Note that until now ZZ9000 won't work (in Zorro3 mode) with PCI daughter boards such as Mediator and Poseidon. Not sure if Lukas has already come up with a solution to fix the memory space overlap. Additionally the ZZ9000 comes with a flixerfixer/scandounler (or at least one of the two ), but that requires the video slot, which is not present on the mediator.
Old 16 March 2020, 01:14   #8
Unicorn

Found the microvitec.

So far A4000D powers on but no display on Monitor.

So far 0 for 3 on old Amigas, will try the monster A4000 next as it has cybervision PPC and should just work.
Old 16 March 2020, 05:12   #9
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
Found the microvitec.

So far A4000D powers on but no display on Monitor.

So far 0 for 3 on old Amigas, will try the monster A4000 next as it has cybervision PPC and should just work.
Does the power light, when you turn it on, go from a dim green to a brighter green? that is the sign the CPU is alive. If the green colour stays dimmer then the CPU is not responding. You can also press caps lock and if it stays either on or off after about 5-8 presses then again the CPU is not responding.
Old 16 March 2020, 06:21   #10
Unicorn

I am guessing it is a dim green the hard drive comes on a couple of times.

The caps lock does not respond for 4 secs then it turns on and off for about 4 secs then nothing.

Darren
Old 17 March 2020, 03:24   #11
Unicorn

OK reseating the CPU board has made progress.

The Hard drive light comes on and goes off.

The power light comes on dim then flashes 6-7 times then stays bright, for a bit then goes back to flashing.

It has also done a little beep the the IDE drive seems to boot then it goes back to flashing.

I guess it might be boot looping, possibly due to low input voltage.

I can't seem to order ATX to A4000D power connectors at the moment.

When I got my A1200 to boot I found the articles I had written for AAG Australian Amiga Gazette many years ago.

I found the archives for the magazine, it is fun to read the prices for hardware back then. Some of the high prices we see now are still below retail price back then.

Regards
Darren
Old 17 March 2020, 04:14   #12
Unicorn

I got a monitor connected and when I power on I see stripes of rainbow colours for a second which I think is a kickstart 3.1 thing. I cannot get to the pre boot screen it just does not react to both mouse buttons.

The keyboard caps lock light works like normal.

I am so close to getting the A4000D working.

The huge tower had a problem turning on last I used it. Turns out the dodgy 24 pin connector has wires broken off every where. I did not make that connector.

Darren
Old 17 March 2020, 11:51   #13
Jope
-

The rainbow colours come from the CSMK2.
Old 18 March 2020, 00:18   #14
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
The rainbow colours come from the CSMK2.
Woohoo, That is a really good sign then.

A working CSMkII is nice to have. The standard A4000 power supply fan is not spinning properly. I think there is a dead cap on the 12V line.

I need to get the power supply fixed or find a mini atx and convert it for A4000D.

I have a second A4000D power supply from my dismembered A4000D but it is dead. I already used the zorro riser from the other machine as this one had some corrosion.

I need to find a way to clean the old Zorro riser.
Old 18 March 2020, 08:40   #15
Vypr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
OK reseating the CPU board has made progress.

The Hard drive light comes on and goes off.

The power light comes on dim then flashes 6-7 times then stays bright, for a bit then goes back to flashing.

It has also done a little beep the the IDE drive seems to boot then it goes back to flashing.

I guess it might be boot looping, possibly due to low input voltage.

I can't seem to order ATX to A4000D power connectors at the moment.

When I got my A1200 to boot I found the articles I had written for AAG Australian Amiga Gazette many years ago.

I found the archives for the magazine, it is fun to read the prices for hardware back then. Some of the high prices we see now are still below retail price back then.

Regards
Darren
My 500++ displayed the same symptoms occasionally after I put the board in a Checkmate case. After a few hours usage the system would lock up and every subsequent reboot the screen would only show the Indivision splash screen from my ECS and the power light would flash six times. Pressing down the accelerator card I had fitted in the CPU socket would fix it for a while, then back to the flashing power LED.
Turns out one of the pins on the accelerator had broken off in the socket so after a while thermal expansion would cause the connection to break. Pushing down the accelerator would reconnect the broken pin temporarily. I ended up having to replace the socket on the motherboard because I couldn't get the broken end of the pin out. Fortunately I was using an empty socket as a riser on the accelerator card so I just needed to swap in a new one.
I think in your case it might be worthwhile giving the CPU socket a clean with compressed air and some contact cleaner.
Old 27 March 2020, 23:30   #16
Unicorn

Well I got this one working. The original power supply is running except the fan sometimes works and sometimes not.

A pulled the Cyberstorm MkII out about 5 times until it worked. The random beeps must have been coming from the SCSI hard drive. I re plugged the SCSI controller a number of times and finally the hard drive was found.

Workbench runs workbench startup plus and some items fail because I no longer have a Novell file server. I can only boot in OCS due the missing Cybervision 64. The drivers for the cybervision push the refresh rate beyond the 1084S but not visible on the 21" trinitron.

So this Machine is A4000 desktop with ide hard drive, floppy drive 2mb chip, 4mb fast on board. Cyberstorm MkII with 128GB ram and SCSI card. There is a SCSI zip drive and SCSI hard drive on the cable. Plus an A2065 network card. Currently using my A3000T keyboard and 1084S monitor

I have ordered 8 coin cell battery replacements.
Old 28 March 2020, 03:57   #17
voyager_1701e

Im sure Ive got a spare A4000 desktop riser somewhere if you need it...Im sure Ill never use it again