English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 29 February 2020, 19:21   #1
RetrogamerRhys

Question Hardware to transfer files to Amiga 500

A bit of a newbie question here but what is the easiest way to transfer files from the internet onto a disk that can be read by the Amiga.Do I need a special type of floppy disk drive connected to my PC to write to Amiga disks from my PC? Also what hardware would I need to read from a USB memory stick to the Amiga. Also what size memory sticks could it support? and do you have to format the USB stick for a certain file system? I heard somewhere that you could use an accelerator card to interface a memory stick with the Amiga but I don't know which one to chose and what would be better or cheaper? Which would you chose? The disk transfer or the memory stick.
Old 01 March 2020, 19:33   #2
Nobby_UK

Cheapest + Simplest method = Gotek Drive
Old 03 March 2020, 15:17   #3
AmigaHope

It depends on how fancy you want to make your A500. Are you trying to recreate the days of floppies + diskswapping on a bog-standard machine, or are you trying to build an upgraded A500 with better performance in mind that can play WHDLoad games and/or run useful applications?
Old 03 March 2020, 16:35   #4
turrican9

As mentioned here, cheapest/simplest way is probably a Gotek.

More expensive route which I have and like is Amigas with CF harddrives where you can store thousands of ADFs and then use something like ADF Blitzer to write images to real floppies.

ACA 500 Plus would be excellent for this. By far the best upgrade for any Amiga 500 as long as you have 8372A Agnus to get 1MB chip RAM. Then you can do whdload and also write ADFs to real floppies all day long if you want to go old school and play floppy games from the real drive.
Old 04 March 2020, 01:04   #5
fxgogo

My current solution is to use my compact flash card on my Amiga and my PC. On the PC, WinUAE will see it and I transfer everything I need to it. I can then make floppy discs if I need to on my Amiga.
I also run a serial cable to my PC via a Serial to USB connector when I need some interactive operation. That is via Amiga explorer from Amiga Forever. It is a bit slow, but it works.
Old 04 March 2020, 02:01   #6
Liqourice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
My current solution is to use my compact flash card on my Amiga and my PC. On the PC, WinUAE will see it and I transfer everything I need to it. I can then make floppy discs if I need to on my Amiga.
I also run a serial cable to my PC via a Serial to USB connector when I need some interactive operation. That is via Amiga explorer from Amiga Forever. It is a bit slow, but it works.

A compact flash isn't an alternative for a 500 though.

A plipbox to network it might be a solution, not a very fast one though. As others have mentioned a Gotek is probably the most convenient way.
Old 04 March 2020, 08:08   #7
solarmon

Two solutions that compliment each other - one for emulated floppy disks, one for real physical floppy disks - that you should look in to:

* Gotek
* Greaseweazle (https://github.com/keirf/Greaseweazle/wiki) (https://www.facebook.com/groups/greaseweazle/)

Last edited by solarmon; 04 March 2020 at 10:45.
Old 04 March 2020, 09:14   #8
E-Penguin
Banana

Use a serial cable and the AmigaExplorer software to transfer the image file to the amiga and write it onto a disk from there.
Old 04 March 2020, 09:17   #9
Jope
-

This Arduino based thing can also write floppies. http://amiga.robsmithdev.co.uk/instruction
Old 04 March 2020, 10:47   #10
solarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
This Arduino based thing can also write floppies. http://amiga.robsmithdev.co.uk/instruction
Link is broken - the main one works:

http://amiga.robsmithdev.co.uk/

However, Greaseweazle is developed and supported by Keir Fraser (of FlashFloppy and Amiga Test Kit fame) - so you know that it is going to be good. And it is.
Old 04 March 2020, 13:14   #11
fxgogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liqourice View Post
A compact flash isn't an alternative for a 500 though.

Too true. Forgot about that.