English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 26 March 2020, 08:58   #181
sparhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
(we're talking 180° Change in how the World Leaders will be taking the matter in their hands, ...).

You have a lot of faith. Even though I would hope for it, my realistic expectation is not THAT high.
Old 26 March 2020, 13:22   #182
d4rk3lf

What I am afraid, even more then this virus, is next mutation of it, maybe even more deadlier, and people just being tired of quarantine, refusing to go again, and just accepting the consequences for the old and weak.
All this was pretty new and shocking for people, but the "next wave", could be accepted without too much fighting.

I hope I am very wrong.
Old 26 March 2020, 13:48   #183
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
What I am afraid, even more then this virus, is next mutation of it, maybe even more deadlier, and people just being tired of quarantine, refusing to go again, and just accepting the consequences for the old and weak.
All this was pretty new and shocking for people, but the "next wave", could be accepted without too much fighting.

I hope I am very wrong.
Usually mutations are less deadly. Killing the host is counterproductive to the purpose of getting itself to spread as much possible as that is basically suicide for the virus.
But there is a small chance that it could become more deadly. Also it might change to kill young people more often than the old. Would people take it more serious then? Seems like some people think that it is fine as long as it is just grandma that dies.. I think grandma would object to that notion.

H1N1 flu in 2009 was surprising due to the fact that it turned out to be more dangerous to young people than the older generation. A large part of the older generation had antibodies from some previous similar virus that helped them combat this new strain which younger people did not have.
Old 26 March 2020, 13:51   #184
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Oh they're coming, don't worry about it: https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/h...us/2907736001/
Old 26 March 2020, 15:49   #185
demolition
Unregistered User

If we're going to have another pandemic, might as well get it now while the entire world is locked down anyway. Kinda like a 2-for-1 special.
Old 26 March 2020, 15:57   #186
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Usually mutations are less deadly.
Mutation is probably wrong word (in lack of better words).
What I've mean is new type of Sars... like this one is Sars 2, right? Something like Sars 3. So not mutated version of the existing virus.
Now, if that Sars 3 also doesn't have any serious damage at first month, and then cause a serous damage, then the people would probably ignore it, until is too late, and it contaminate majority.

All of this are of course, just a blind guessing, but that scenario seems possible to me, and it scares me.
Old 26 March 2020, 18:05   #187
Master484

Quote:
So I must face the truth that there will be no toilet paper / paper towels / paper tissues anymore for a long time, maybe years. By next week or maybe the week after, I am out of paper.

I really ask if anyone has a method that really works.
I think you can use coffee filters for this task.

Cut one in half and you get two sheets. The paper in them is hard and uncomfortable, but if you soak them slightly in water before use, it gets softer.

Avoid the expensive brands, and instead try to find a bundle that has like 200 of them for 1 euro or something.

Newspapers and printer paper could be used too, but I think they can't withstand moisture very well, and can break easily, while coffee filters are designed to get wet, and therefore personally I would try them out first.

And throw the filters to trashcan after use, I have a feeling that the toilet pipes won't like them.

---

Also you can limit paper usage by using only a few sheets: usually with two sheets you can wipe out most of the stuff, and then you can clean the rest using one of your hands; have warm water running to a sink, wipe with your left hand, and wash it between the wipes. And then use a towel (that you reserve for this purpose only) to dry your backside. And finally wash your hands well with soap.

Alternatively instead of the hand you can use pieces of cloth, that you wash afterwards and then re-use. Many instructors in Youtube seem to recommend the washclothes. But somehow I personally find the idea of re-usable cloth wipes more disgusting than wiping with the hand. Guess it's a matter of taste.

Also for psychological reasons, when you're close to running out of toilet paper, don't use it all. Leave at least a few rolls, this way it'll always seem that you still have some left.

---

Thank god in Finland we still have toilet paper. Although the amount in the stores seems to constantly be only about 50 % of what it normally is, and the most popular brand is usually sold out.
Old 26 March 2020, 18:09   #188
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master484 View Post
Also you can limit paper usage by using only a few sheets: usually with two sheets you can wipe out most of the stuff, and then you can clean the rest using one of your hands; have warm water running to a sink, wipe with your left hand, and wash it between the wipes.
Perhaps I shouldn't have decided to check up on the forum while I was eating..
Old 26 March 2020, 18:09   #189
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
So I must face the truth that there will be no toilet paper / paper towels / paper tissues anymore for a long time, maybe years. By next week or maybe the week after, I am out of paper.

I really ask if anyone has a method that really works.

I could take a shower after bowel movement which would be a mess in the bath tub. I could use a washcloth, also very messy, and I don't know if the stains will ever wash out of it. Don't know what to do.
You can even use a ticket, but watch your fingers, just like with a chainsaw - one false move and you're fucked.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 26 March 2020, 18:14   #190
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

This reminds me of ol' joke form childhood -

Q - How did captain hook die?

A - He used wrong hand in bathroom.

Just like always, times like this are great for creativity among people...

[ Show youtube player ]

ps. In war I survived, nobody died from not being able to use TP... so you are safe.
Old 26 March 2020, 20:26   #191
Zak
Zap´em

Thank you Master484!
Old 27 March 2020, 00:28   #192
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Just like always, times like this are great for creativity among people..
Quite frankly, riding that mother mare the other way round would prove more entertaining.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
a washcloth, I don't know if the stains will ever wash out of it.
I don't know the anglosaxon idiom for it, "traces de pneu" slang for "tire marks" in French means stained with shit streak one made in underwear. The thing I do when this happens (on rare occasions, fortunately) is soak my boxers in a bucket filled with bleach solution. The day I use the washing machine, I grab the stained underwear with dish-washing gloves, and then spray the stained parts with some foaming agent. Since it is soaked with diluted bleach, washing it with some other clothes or towels is perfectly fine. And no, it's not all that messy if you remove the stain in excess under warm tap water after each wipe.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 27 March 2020 at 09:11.
Old 27 March 2020, 00:54   #193
BullyDog

I've learned from my doc's asst that the COVID-19 virus was known since 1931. It wasn't a leak from a Chinese lab.
Old 27 March 2020, 01:31   #194
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Leak or not, we shouldn't have to beg China for the equipment and machinery we are in dire need of in order to fight a deadly virus their peddlers and poachers were responsible for spreading, whether it was done intentionally or not. Blame has to be put on wrongdoers from both sides of political checkerboard, but Beijing CP is clear winner in this so called commercial war (consider a tennis match ending over some opponent who retires for being injured, the other one is declared to be the winner player nonetheless). Since you live in Texas (greet ZZ Top from me plz!), you should be aware that, unless a vaccine or some kind of remedy is developed soon, people with health problems (potheads, fatsos, etc. pardon my french!) due to diets excessively relying on calories, salt, and saturated fat among your fellow countrymen will most likely bite the dust first. This accounts for about 40% of total population of adults, if I am not mistaken. Civilian casualties attributed to ISIS attacks from last few years are a joke compared to what's knocking at the door, sorry about that. Man, with the possible exception of Germany, in terms of people getting infected, it's getting bigger and bigger, with new source every 72h (R0 of 2,4 or so, cf. R naught concept as applied to past epidemic episodes). Do yourself a favor and watch S. Soderbergh's Contagion (2011), or replay vid of Bill Gates speech from 2015 TED conference, the biological time bomb was set not that long ago IMHO.

[ Show youtube player ]

Back in 2009, maybe we should have taken such warnings more seriously when Beijing representatives demanded from all of their commercial partners to cancel any pending invitation of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama to their respective embassies :
https://www.ft.com/content/b36cec8e-...d-0000779fd2ac

Last edited by SquawkBox; 28 March 2020 at 06:22.
Old 27 March 2020, 08:58   #195
thellier

I am afraid that the next virus will be ebola
Whith unreglemented globalization all has became possible
As the mosquito tiger made his way from Réunion Island (near Madagascar) to main France and is now in some ponds near Paris.So the Chikungunya illness came to main France
I mean if something as big as a mosquito can reach and colonize Europe ... Ebola will certainly too one day or another...

If you read about invasive species: you will see that lots of animals and plants have invaded other continents...
If something as (relatively) big as the mediterranean gecko reached California at the other side of the world... Eveything become possible...
Old 27 March 2020, 10:48   #196
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
I don't know the anglosaxon idiom for it, "traces de pneu" slang for "tire marks" in French means stained with shit streak one made in underwear.
They're called skidmarks, at least in Australia, NZ and the UK.

On a more serious note, I believe China should have to reimburse the entire world for all the money that their disease has cost.
Old 27 March 2020, 12:34   #197
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
On a more serious note, I believe China should have to reimburse the entire world for all the money that their disease has cost.
The trouble is, nobody can force them to do anything. They are too strong, both economically and military.
China expansion could may be stopped, in 1985. , and already in 1995. I think they were unstoppable. Big responsibility of that is on american big company that greedily saw opportunity to invest in cheap labor.
Also, Chinese people can work much more hours, and when I compare us Europeans, we look like lazy asses. I am talking globally, not individuals here and there. And also, like many Europeans, I also think that life is a little bit more then working whole day, I like to enjoy life, and have free time to do whatever I wish.
Also, their political system is pretty unique. They are like communist, and they can force discipline in troubled times like this, and remove civil rights if they need to, yet, they are completely capitalistic on the terms of foreign investing, therefore all this force will have minor impact on economy itself.

Considering all above, I ask again, who can stop them?
They can (their government) bloody do whatever they want.
Old 27 March 2020, 14:20   #198
Daedalus

Their disease? WTF??
Old 27 March 2020, 15:39   #199
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
and remove civil rights if they need to
What rights?? People of China have no rights, not under current communist system that opened its doors for capitalism, just to expand production and ability to steal technology. It is not just US companies that invested in china, it is Europe as well. England has lots of stakes and even Honk Kong until 1999.

As for who to blame for viral infections... is that how it works in real world?? Will Europe pay for oppression of most of the world for centuries?

Who will pay for spread of stupidity??
Old 27 March 2020, 15:51   #200
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Haha, remember the Chineese protesters?